Virus And Riding.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Cycling During Coronavirus | Riding During Coronavirus
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3146922 ... ronavirus/
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Thats a good article but read the comments below as someone mentions that Spain and I hear Italy will be charging people for riding outside a hefty 300 Euros because they dont want you to risk an accident and displacing patients at hospitals were staff are already overloaded with Corona.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you do ride outside, be careful with public drinking fountains / taps when refilling bottles (I'd say just not to do it at all.) They are highly trafficked, touched surfaces. Personally I have no issues indoor training for the time being.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Been riding pretty much every day for the past 3 weeks. Go ride people!

MoPho

by MoPho

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 am

Well done moron. Who cares about a dangerous virus as long as you can play on your tricycle. Enjoy.

Actually, we are on a shelter in place order here in the San Francisco Bay Area and they are encouraging people to go out and excercise by taking walks, hiking, riding bikes, etc.. You can ride solo or even with a person or two if you keep "social distance". No group rides

shotgun

by shotgun

For countries that are expeirencing shortage of emergency personell, it's recommended to avoid untowards incidents that will pull/stretch medical teams away from thise COVID-19 concern. I do think they have a point. Though it's very temtpting to ride out now, since our streets are clear of any vehicles now.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

jekyll man

by jekyll man

As shotgun says, not adding to an already overburdened health care system with what is considered by most to be an unnecessary activity.

Vehicular traffic maybe less, but drivers distraction rate is likely to be higher with what's going on.
As there's a lot more accidents between motor vehicles everyday necessitating emergency care,it's a bit of a moot point to me
Official cafe stop tester

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

And compared with drinking..... :? :wink:

"A national survey of most of the UK's Emergency Departments found that 70% of night time attendances and 40% of daytime attendances were caused by alcohol.
Alcohol is the biggest single cause of accidents in the home. Every year, there are around 4,000 fatal domestic accidents, 2.6 million accidents that require treatment in A&E departments and many more accidents not accounted for in the hospital admissions statistics."

shotgun

by shotgun

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:00 am
And compared with drinking..... :? :wink:

"A national survey of most of the UK's Emergency Departments found that 70% of night time attendances and 40% of daytime attendances were caused by alcohol.
Alcohol is the biggest single cause of accidents in the home. Every year, there are around 4,000 fatal domestic accidents, 2.6 million accidents that require treatment in A&E departments and many more accidents not accounted for in the hospital admissions statistics."
Funny enough I kinda hoarded the liquor store before the quaranteen. Cheers :beerchug:
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

MickC

by MickC

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 am
Hellgate wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 am
Well done moron. Who cares about a dangerous virus as long as you can play on your tricycle. Enjoy.
It's the M3 morons who are most likely to cause crashes and now most of them are staying at home in fear of their feeble lives we cyclists are free to roam the roads in safety!

micky

by micky

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:23 am
Thats a good article but read the comments below as someone mentions that Spain and I hear Italy will be charging people for riding outside a hefty 300 Euros because they dont want you to risk an accident and displacing patients at hospitals were staff are already overloaded with Corona.
In Italy the situation has been going on a strange way.
At first it was the so called "red zones" (locked cities/towns) where the FCI asked to avoid cycling and only allowing local pro to go around as it's their job.
But in less than 48 hours this "red zone" became the whole Italy so while the government wasn't blocking cycling itself, the cycling community was pushing everyone to go on rollers and stay home for the reason explained above.
The problem is that the "mass" of people is not very collaborative (making groups while walking, stopping to chat, pic nic and so on) especially on bigger cities, so last sunday the law turned into "stay inside your local area" and it looks like this sunday it will become even more serious.

It's becoming so serious the rage against people doing sports outside that even the president of the atlhetic federation said "doing sport outside near your house is not against the law, but the common perception right now is so negative that we suggest not to do it".

osw000

by osw000

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:23 am
You're right. In Spain since "alarm state" was declared past week nobody is allowed to any outdoor activity.

Just the week before most had the same discourse: "cycling is safe as long as you go alone, it helps your keeping healthy and so on" but now with health system colapsing in just 5 days everybody changed their minds and getting the dust off their indoor trainers.

Past weekend those reluctant to accept the situation went out cycling and some got fined.

The point is not only that any crash or small incident would overload the emergency system in a moment of national emergency, but that the virus, we're learning now, can survive for days in many surfaces. So by just putting a foot in the street you got chances to contaminate your home. That's why we're forced to not to go out except for food or medicines. You have to use a desinfectation process every time you go out: discard the masks (if you were lucky to get one), wash clothes, shoes, everything you got in... and the risks are still there.

Even online orders have its risks as the virus can live in cartons for more than 24 hours. So it's crazy.

If social distance would have proven enough then why is the *f##k* army fumigating public spaces...

Hellgate

by Hellgate

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Hellgate wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 am
And explain to me how going for a solo ride is any more risky that standing in line at the grocery store with 500 of my best friends? Got some perspective and common sense.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Mybe not directely, but in the case of accident, you can be placed in the ICU, taking the bead off somewone in serious covid-19 respiratory condition. Or you may not get a level of medical help as you would in normal circumstances.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

1415chris wrote:Mybe not directely, but in the case of accident, you can be placed in the ICU, taking the bead off somewone in serious covid-19 respiratory condition. Or you may not get a level of medical help as you would in normal circumstances.
I'm not worried. Over the past 40 years of "serious" cycling I've not been hospitalized. Traffic is minimal. I'm really not concerned about me as 200,000 of 7.5B ppl have the virus. I wash my hands, work from home, etc. I'm going riding. If it makes anyone feel better, it rained all day, and I was limited to my home gym.

Ciao!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com