Virus And Riding.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:06 pm
I don’t go to the supermarket. I get delivery, I move the non-perishables into the garage and leave them there for 3 days. I disinfect what I can.

Mostly I don’t feel compelled to ride outside right now. It’s something I’m willing to give up for a few months. I don’t mind Zwift...hell, it’s better training than trying to structure outdoors.

You know who basically paraphrased your last statement? Donald Trump. Also crying about fake news... I only need the Johns Hopkins list to come to the conclusion that the virus is not a hoax or a construct of paranoia.
I dont watch tv since 2012 at all.. Instead reading a lot of books, cycling related stuff, listening music.. I dont care at all if someone called Donald Duck is paraprashed me or not.. It's just my clear logic.. Seem that in USA they use someone Donald Duck or someone like that to brainwash u..

BTW, who the f... is Donald Duck at all? Why should i need to know about him? Is he connected to cycling? Some creativity? Maybe musican? Please share the album if it's musician.. My other hobby is HiFi so i have big collection of music, but cant find anything from this artist... Must be someone on Alternative scene which i appreciate even more...

What u descibe is called paranoia.. Hope wont lead to Schizophrenia.. Even u reach that level, i'll talk about u just the best.. I promise this..

Will send u pictures from my riding this days... Just to dont lost some other reality than someone brainwashed u.. Again. i dont deny the virus... Just trying to doing in reasonable way.. Not paranoid and withou any logic..

And feel sorry about u (and others like u).. To get things to peripherals of garage? Leave them there 3 days? I really feel sorry..

BTW not very clear picture how long virus can survive outside of body.. What if u leave them there for 3 days and virus survive just above this? Also i hope u wont get some stomach poisining putting food outside of refrigerator for 3 days.. And if u put the food in refrigerator in that period.. What if virus can survive more in cold area?

And before u loose ur mind in total.. How long u can live like that (and before u reach Schizophrenia level)?

Wish u luck....
Last edited by 3Pio on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’m following the advice of 3 physicians that I’m directly related to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:24 pm
I’m following the advice of 3 physicians that I’m directly related to.
Maybe u are part of their experiment? Did u ever have thoughts about it? :) Part of problem with long space programs is isolation of astronauts.. Maybe u are part of that kind of expriment and what gonna happpened to someone isolated this way for long time..

At least if u survive like this without too much damage, maybe u can apply for astronaut?

scapie

by scapie

MoPho wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:44 am
scapie wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:39 am
out of interest why don't you just stay inside? its not really that tough and in the scheme of things it won't even be that long? if you don't ride for a month or two, does it really matter?
You must not have young children at home :lol:
lol, yeah fair play to that. it must be difficult for people with kids, esp if one, or even harder two, parents are still working from home.

scapie

by scapie

3Pio wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:02 am
...14000 km training + 5000 km commute.. Not crashed at all.. But i had injury cleaning my home (i fall down on cable of vacum cleaner), and result: two weeks swollen arm...
pretty much covers my thoughts on your situation.

MoPho

by MoPho

scapie wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:07 am
MoPho wrote:
scapie wrote:
out of interest why don't you just stay inside? its not really that tough and in the scheme of things it won't even be that long? if you don't ride for a month or two, does it really matter?
lol, yeah fair play to that. it must be difficult for people with kids, esp if one, or even harder two, parents are still working from home.

With a 5yo tornado bouncing off the walls and a 10yo with severe special needs, I am just trying to stay out of the news right now :mrgreen:

scapie

by scapie

MoPho wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 am
scapie wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:07 am
MoPho wrote:
scapie wrote:

With a 5yo tornado bouncing off the walls and a 10yo with severe special needs, I am just trying to stay out of the news right now :mrgreen:
all the best to you and yours, stay safe.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

So, how did the last year work out? ICU? Or big miles?

Nice flashback, huh?

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Well one year on and I am totally SICK of even hearing about the virus. :x

I am personally fed up with it.
People are dating with masks on. There is now "mask dating etiquette".
I don't even have a mask. :shock:

Here in Australia, no one even has the bloody virus and everyone is still social distancing. What for? :lol:
Of course everyone took it very seriously in the beginning (me included).
And we've been lucky. There have only been 29,382 cases so far in the whole country.
Most of those have already recovered & there appear to be 2144 active cases.
So we're doing better than countries like Japan, Korea and Singapore. :thumbup:

So far 909 people have died through contracting COVID-19 in Australia. :?
But to put this into perspective, the Australian road toll last year in 2020 was 1106.
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) was the underlying cause of death in 41,800 deaths in 2018.

Our economies are suffering and so is our mental health. We don't shut down everything for the 1106 road deaths, do we?

I'm going out riding. Because it looks like I am 40 times more likely of dying of cardiovascular disease if I don't. :smartass:
Luckily we can still ride in Australia. :mrgreen:
I already have high cholesterol. And now I'm overweight.
And quite frankly I take that much more seriously, having a heart attack, than losing my sense of taste and smell temporarily.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

I'm pretty sick of the virus too. Saw more death and dying in the covid unit in 1 yr, than in my 10yrs of clinical practice combined. The worst part is feeling utterly helpless, telling otherwise healthy patients to their face that they're dying, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sounds like AUS has been fortunate. Good leadership and geographic isolation. We've always said that a good COVID response will feel like much ado about nothing, which sounds like where you guys are at. But I'd encourage you to feel thankful instead of being resentful. Watching this unfold stateside has been more miserable than any lockdown.

On a bright note, a yr into this, my quarantine ride crew and I have all remained entirely covid free, and now most of us are fully vaccinated. This is also true of several clusters of ride groups I know locally, mostly from RCC. We're all older and very cautious otherwise which helps, but I think it goes to show that outdoor activity when seen from a risk reward perspective, skews heavily on the side of reward.
Last edited by ohjinguh9 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

synchronicity wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 am
I'm going out riding. Because it looks like I am 40 times more likely of dying of cardiovascular disease if I don't. :smartass:
Luckily we can still ride in Australia. :mrgreen:
I already have high cholesterol. And now I'm overweight.
And quite frankly I take that much more seriously, having a heart attack, than losing my sense of taste and smell temporarily.
While I hate to disparage others opinions, I'm sorry but this is garbage. Be thankful that Australia has been limited in their exposure. I've personally known others that have ended up in the ICU. I've had friends whose parents died of it.

One of my riding buddies (strong and fit rider) caught it last July and took probably 6 months to come back to some form. Hell, I raced an 18 year old kid last weekend who used to mop up the field and he had to retire the race halfway through because he's been having erratic heart beats. At 18 years old. And he had COVID in December.

Laughing off restrictions because you think taste and smell is all that you have to worry about is extremely ignorant.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

ms6073

by ms6073

synchronicity wrote:
Of course everyone took it very seriously in the beginning (me included).
Can't help but think that is the reason why things are so much better in Australia. At that time here in the US, our leadership felt it better to downplay the issue rather than admit to the serverity of the problem!
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MoPho

by MoPho

synchronicity wrote:
We don't shut down everything for the 1106 road deaths, do we?

Road deaths are not contagious.

MoPho

by MoPho

Hellgate wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:33 am
So, how did the last year work out? ICU? Or big miles?

Nice flashback, huh?

To my surprise, I ended up getting in more rides last year than the year before, but due to time constraints from the kids being home all the time and no group rides, they were short and low intensity/less climbing rides. Did have a ride buddy, which was nice, but he had the same kids at home issue. Rides became more about getting coffee and just getting out of the house.
I did manage to eat more and gain weight, so that was a nice bonus :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Thank you to the above posters for keeping this in perspective....We (i.e. Australia) have survived because of luck/geographic isolation and good leadership. Very easy to become complacent over here. The benefits of good precuations run relatively unseen in the background.