Bike Stack Height

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

photocycler

by photocycler

Looking at getting a new bike which has a lower stack height. The difference is 44mm. In order to retain my same fit, would I need to add 44mm of spacers to have the same bar height?

Current Bike Reach and Stack
  • 367mm and 574mm
    379mm and 530mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

More or less, yes, a reduction in stack can be compensated for with spacers, although stack is a vertical measurement and the head tube is at an angle so it won't be exact.
You might need a slightly shorter stem since you're making the reach 1cm longer as well.

But why are you reducing your stack and keeping the same fit? Maybe if you want to get prograssively lower at the front end but otherwise, assuming your fit is fine at moment why change?

photocycler

by photocycler

themidge wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 pm
More or less, yes, a reduction in stack can be compensated for with spacers, although stack is a vertical measurement and the head tube is at an angle so it won't be exact.
You might need a slightly shorter stem since you're making the reach 1cm longer as well.

But why are you reducing your stack and keeping the same fit? Maybe if you want to get prograssively lower at the front end but otherwise, assuming your fit is fine at moment why change?
Im wanting to try another bike, the Cervelo Aspero. I used to ride an R3 and loved it. Riding a Diverge now which is a little less aggressive.

AJS914

by AJS914

Remember that any headset parts above the frame are counted as spacers and not included in the bike's stack figure. I like to put all the figures into a geometry calculator because it's hard to factor in things like stem stack, stem angle, etc. by eye. You could do things like run a 90 degree stem and lose some spacer stack.

The question is whether you have to match the Diverge's setup or if you can go lower. With 4cm of spacers the bike will look like the one in this review.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/cervelo ... de-review/

boots2000

by boots2000

But please don't buy a bike that requires 44mm of spacers in order to fit you!
photocycler wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 pm
Looking at getting a new bike which has a lower stack height. The difference is 44mm. In order to retain my same fit, would I need to add 44mm of spacers to have the same bar height?

• 367mm and 574mm
    379mm and 530mm

photocycler

by photocycler

boots2000 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:30 pm
But please don't buy a bike that requires 44mm of spacers in order to fit you!
photocycler wrote:

• 367mm and 574mm
    379mm and 530mm
That is what I am trying to figure out, if it would end up being that many spacers.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

photocycler wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 pm
Im wanting to try another bike, the Cervelo Aspero. I used to ride an R3 and loved it. Riding a Diverge now which is a little less aggressive.
You'll almost certainly be better off getting a 54 and running a shorter stem. Or a different bike if you want it to be like the Diverge. It and the Aspero are opposite ends of the gravel spectrum.
That is what I am trying to figure out, if it would end up being that many spacers.
Most carbon Diverges come with a hover bar too, so that's even more. And if you have anything acting as a spacer in the Diverge, add that as well.

photocycler

by photocycler

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 pm
photocycler wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 pm
You'll almost certainly be better off getting a 54 and running a shorter stem. Or a different bike if you want it to be like the Diverge. It and the Aspero are opposite ends of the gravel spectrum.
Most carbon Diverges come with a hover bar too, so that's even more. And if you have anything acting as a spacer in the Diverge, add that as well.
I am not runnign the raised bars so that is a non-issue. I was riding a 2019 Tarmac previous which fit, I am just liking the more rleaxed fit on the Diverge right now. With that said, I could lose a couple spacers on my current setup which is why I am trying to figure out how many spacers I would need just to get me back to where the diverge stack would be without spacers.

AJS914

by AJS914

Get this stack / reach calculator spreadsheet so you can truly figure this out.

If you can get total spacers down to say 20-25mm, it would look fine. A conical spacer might even make it look better.

TheRich

by TheRich

photocycler wrote:

• 367mm and 574mm
    379mm and 530mm
Weird that Cervelo's gravel bike has stack and reach measuements like a Madone.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Most bike forks are limited to 30mm of spacers.
Ride fast Take chances

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TheRich wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 am
Weird that Cervelo's gravel bike has stack and reach measuements like a Madone.
It's a race gravel bike rather than an adventure gravel bike. Pretty much designed to be a cross bike with more stable handling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

photocycler wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:04 pm
I am not runnign the raised bars so that is a non-issue. I was riding a 2019 Tarmac previous which fit, I am just liking the more rleaxed fit on the Diverge right now. With that said, I could lose a couple spacers on my current setup which is why I am trying to figure out how many spacers I would need just to get me back to where the diverge stack would be without spacers.
I just switched from an Allez Sprint and a Trek Crockett to an Aspero and went through about a month and a half of looking at different bike geometries before I made my decision.

The size 54 Aspero is very close in geometry to a 56 Allez Sprint. As I recall, the 56 Tarmac is just a little bit taller in stack than the Sprint and maybe a hair off on reach, so that would probably be a pretty good estimate of where you'll be on the Aspero. Not sure about the size translation from larger or smaller sizes.

As others have said, the Diverge and the Aspero are polar oposites on the gravel spectrum. I got the Aspero because I wanted something that more closesly matched my Allez Sprint than the Crockett. I wanted a race bike feel with clearance for big-ass tires, and that's what the Aspero is. You'll probably be giving up a lot of that relaxed comfort from the Diverge and if you're looking at doing 40mm of spacers, you might be better off looking at the next larger size and running a shorter stem.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.