Etap Brake Bleed Issue?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I dropped my bike off at the LBS for a brake bleed. It's sram etap. I'm the original owner of the bike and while the brakes worked I noticed I had to pull on the levers a lot more to engage the rotors recently. I had 2nd thoughts about using the LBS and sure enough, he called to say he can't get any fluid to move and he was on the phone w/ sram who told him to disconnect the cables and check - now it's going to cost more money because it will take more time.

While it's now confirmed I'll never use my LBS again (after some other tries I don't think he's a very good mechanic (or he's just full of shit) w/ high end stuff - although this shouldn't be that big of a difference). I'll do the 45 minute drive to another shop that does better work.

Before I get milked on this - has anyone had this issue before and is there anything to look for?

thx
Speedplay is the devil!

spud

by spud

no reason the brakes shouldn't allow fluid to move. if he's so incompetent that he doesn't know to "rebreak" the bleed with the "bleeding edge" installed, yeah, you don't want that guy working on your stuff.
I'm not a pro mechanic, but bleeding Shimano or Sram using Sram's bleed kit (yes, I know you can't interchange due to fluid type) is a 5 min affair. i've also bled older Sram without a bleed kit - in that case, there was too much fluid in the system (due to new pad install) so the pads wouldn't retrack into their bores sufficiently. Moving fluid was as easy as squeezing the brake lever and cracking the bleed screw a touch.

by Weenie

AJS914

by AJS914

Watch the videos on youtube and do it yourself. I admit that I struggled a little bit the first time but now I've got it down to 5-10 minutes. One thing that helped was watching the GCN video instead of the SRAM videos. For some reason, the SRAM videos seemed to make it more complicated than it was.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Problem solved. LBS owner/mechanic just isn't that good nor does he seem interested in getting anything done in a timely manner. When I called the next morning a little after the opening time, no one was there. Finally got in touch an hour later and he left the bike where it was from the night before and he'd start back on it later that day. Thought about it and called a couple of hours later to tell him not to do the work and I'd pick it up and deal with it. Picked it up the next day and he didn't charge me (which was a good move, read on).

Called another shop 40 min away and spoke to the mechanic who told me he's had a couple of sram road bikes that had debris in the line. Yay! He's done it before, is aware of some issues and I've heard good things about the shop. Take it over and drop it off -use their bathroom before I drive home and when I come out he's already got the bike in the stand (unlike the first shop where it sat for 3 days - he's not that busy). Next morning I get an email the bike is done and picked it up that afternoon. He said there was some resistance with the fluid and it appeared the stealthamijig was not fully tightened and that might have been the problem, but no debris and just the standard charge for a brake bleed (which is $10 less than the original shop).

If I need anything else worked on - guess where I'll take it next time?
Speedplay is the devil!