Keep upgrading my old rigs or get something modern? What am I missing out on?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

theStig

by theStig

So after taking a hiatus from cycling a few years I've been back in the saddle for a few months and upgrading my stable to be somewhat recent but still about two generations behind. I have a semi weigh weenie climbing build (2013 Evo HM full 9070 di2) and a 2009 Noah for the flats (etap and newer wider carbon wheels)...

Having been out of it for a while, I'm seeing all these modern bikes with squared beefy tubing, stem and bar setups with full internal routing, newer BB standards, disc brake etc... And I'm tempted to just go and get something "modern", like a madone SLR, venge, F12, or BMC team machine disc..

Besides better braking and ability to mount wider wheels and tires, what else am I missing out on? I doubt I'd notice the marginal aero improvements compared to my Noah, and anything I build with discs will be heavier than my supersix... But do newer bikes ride/feel any different? I know it's hard to quantify, and maybe part of me just wants an excuse to upgrade, but I'm already two or three generations behind, maybe a lot has changed?

by Weenie

AJS914

by AJS914

You are missing out on the worse ride quality on those aero bikes. :-) A 2013 or even a 2009 is not that ancient!

If you aren't racing or trying to at least be the Sunday group ride hero then something like a Venge may not be worth the comfort compromise.

That said, I'm personally tempted by a Tarmac SL6 - half for the aero benefits (more aero than the old Venge) and half for the ability to run 30mm tires. We have super crappy, rough roads here and I do the group ride thing so I'd love to have an aero bike with deep/wide wheels that are fully aero optimized for 28mm tires.

I haven't gotten rid of my Colnago yet because I'm not sure it's worth paying $6-8-10k+ for the priviledge of 3mm wider rubber. :-)

flying

by flying

Your not missing out on anything IMHO

Enjoy your bikes their fine, enjoy your riding, look around

Save the money you would waste on "newer" IMO

theStig

by theStig

Yeah I'm not racing, .. to be honest newer stuff just looks great haha.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

While I have bought 2 bikes in the past 6 months I can say your missing the excitement of buying a new bike, plus shopping it. I tend to start with a frame and hand pick each component. Maybe it costs more but I get what I want. Will I be any faster then my current bike? Absolutely not. Your bank account will definitely be lower and you will smile more for a while, possibly quite a while.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

flying wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:23 pm

I agree.

I am just getting back into cycling too after several years off.
I don't feel the need to upgrade.

theStig

by theStig

Well, I had my stable pretty much untouched in the garage for a few years, and while everything still works, some of the stuff was over ten years old (and used when I bought it back then)... but I'm a bit sentimental so I figured there was still life left in those bikes and went a little crazy on ebay.

What started as a simple frame swap on my supersix turned into a new-to-me build where the only thing i kept were the DA9000-C24 wheels..

As for my Ridley, I have some plans for it! At the moment it looks like a complete mess with loud white graphics that scream 2009... will be replacing every single thing besides the frame...

synchronicity wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:00 pm
flying wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:23 pm

I agree.

I am just getting back into cycling too after several years off.
I don't feel the need to upgrade.

by Weenie

ico

by ico

I would say that a lot has changed in last decade with the bike frame technology and from my experience one can feel the progress immediately. If someone doesn't feel it, maybe didn't make a good choice. I've moved all my components from nearly 10y old top-end LOOK to a new BMC aero frame and the difference was huge. Does it make me faster? Yes Do I ride more? Yes. If you can afford it go for it...