Selling a complete bike vs. parting out

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djel

by djel

What are your thoughts on selling a complete bike versus taking everything apart to part out? I sold a few bikes in the past but always around the $1,000 mark. I'm selling my built-up bike but the I feel the pool of people willing to pay more than 3-4k for a used bike is fairly small.

Would it be easier to move individual parts like power meter, groupset, wheelset, etc.?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

The easiest thing is to sell it cheap and move on. You'll make the most money parting it out but that is on the other end of the easy/hard spectrum. You could always start by listing it at your ideal price in its assembled state. If that doesn't net you a quick sale, then begin the parting process.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

djel wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 am
What are your thoughts on selling a complete bike versus taking everything apart to part out? I sold a few bikes in the past but always around the $1,000 mark. I'm selling my built-up bike but the I feel the pool of people willing to pay more than 3-4k for a used bike is fairly small.

Would it be easier to move individual parts like power meter, groupset, wheelset, etc.?
Wouldn't be easier, but you'll probably get more of your money back. Parting out a bike is a PITA and you've got to be prepared for some parts to not sell or take forever to sell. There's also the number of people who'll send you lowball offers that will inevitably increase.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

AJS914

by AJS914

From my experience, a 3-4K bike should have been a 7-8K+ build. Figure 50 cents on the dollar. Lots of sellers are unrealistic about what they think they can get for a used bike. You see a lot of over priced used bikes just sit for sale forever.

I've also made some decent money parting out bikes. In a few cases I wanted a frame so I bought a whole bike, sold the parts and ended up with almost a free frame. Getting rid of the parts is some work. Figure on 5-10 ebay auctions.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

The parting out route works if everything is near mint.

A used bike with used kit sells better (with a less dented return) vs parting out a load of parts that show excessive wear.

Selling the whole also can be a composite factor of attractive wants for sellers. If it's the right brand - say s-works - with the some right parts you may well faster and with better returns vs niche or left field manufacturers that aren't catching people's interest right now.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

I always sell complete and use it as a way to dump parts that I have lying around. A complete bike sale is one transaction vs parting out could be a dozen.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

It's worth more parting it out.
If it has a lot of custom parts or you've swapped loads of parts out, I'd definitely part it out. People don't want others' weird and wacky component choices.
If it's a stock bike, perhaps consider selling it complete. That's what I'd do anyway.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djel

by djel

Ended up selling it complete at good price! it's definitely the easiest, but I could have gotten more parting out.