Sick of peeling lenses

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

uraqt

by uraqt

Yep it's one of the coating...

This happend to my 1st pair of oakley RX glass years and year ago ( ~2009) since then evey glasses I order no coating!!!

C

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I have used 5 years same Rudy Projects lenses and nothing like this.

by Weenie

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Kayrehn wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 pm
Does anyone else have such similar experiences with other brands so we can all avoid them?
Is it a photochromic lense ? Because to me it's look normal for photochromic glasses and normally you can't see this when you use it. It also disappear with sun when lense goes darker.

Patb095

by Patb095

C36 wrote:
Now according to Oakley it was linked to “extended exposition to high heat, probability behind car windshield” (something that might have happen)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
It happens to me on a normal eyes prescription glasses. I was washing it under warm water which was cleaning it better. But the glasses got micro crack. It because they are made of plastic that expand and shrink too quickly from the extreme temperature change.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I never leave any of my sunglasses in the car and the cracks formed spontaneously on a cool morning before my ride started so Oakley's excuse is bullshit.

My Ekoi lenses are indeed photochromatic ones. I can probably use them like that, but it's mildly irritating and I've half a mind to manually scrape if off. A website suggests using toothpaste as a mild abrasive.

Thanks for suggesting the Koo glasses, never knew of them, but they looked nice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I had a massive amount of micro-cracking in the surface of an Oakley Prizm Road lens (Jawbone). I thought it was scratches at first, but there was no way I could have scratched them in the manner I observed. This pair were never subjected to high heat or what I would consider drastic temperature changes. I'm sure last winter I had them on during some rides at 0 Celsius, and then quickly entered my basement at 22-23 Celsius, but surely they can survive something like that. I've had many, many Oakley lenses over the past 15 years in just about every shade of Iridium and I've never observed this problem before. I wonder if the Prizm lens coatings are more susceptible?

synchronicity

by synchronicity

No problems with Rudy Project.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Same sentiments as @Bigger Gear, I have used Oakley M frame for a long time and though it will flake over time it doesn't crack like broken glass as with the Prizm lenses. I searched the Internet for an answer and from what I read, the Prizm optical quality doesn't seem to depend on the coating.

Am going to order a pair of 100% Speedtrap next month, hope it fits well!

nickf

by nickf

Oakley path evzero prism road lense, are going on 3 years no issues. Wash them under running water and microfiber cloth. They are my first pair of Oakley's, I was hesitant on them because of the price but have been really happy with them.
Last edited by nickf on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

My Oakley’s last FOREVER. And I sweat a lot. You must get the salt off from the sweat of the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Greatestalltime on Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I almost never have sweat on my face (definitely not while cycling), and never had enough of it to bead up. I do bring my M frames out to sea for paddling but I wash them after each trip. Still doesn't explain the Prizm lenses coating cracks because they were never exposed to salt.

10Caad

by 10Caad

My prizm lenses also developed a similar pitting on the inside of the lenses, but it isn’t noticeable when wearing them. The prizm coating on the outside of the lenses has started to slowly chip off, but after 4.5 years I don’t mind having to replace them.

C36

by C36

10Caad wrote:My prizm lenses also developed a similar pitting on the inside of the lenses, but it isn’t noticeable when wearing them. The prizm coating on the outside of the lenses has started to slowly chip off, but after 4.5 years I don’t mind having to replace them.

That’s the problem : not having an issue with « 4.5 years and replace », that’s disposable. I can show you 10yrs M-frame screens where the coating never peeled... but that was before Oakley got bought by the Italian (very sad arm-twisting by the way)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

I've also started to notice a small amount of these on my Jawbreaker polarized lenses which are a bit over 4 years old now. I don't mind having to replace them every half-decade, so long as there's some sort of third party alternative if Oakley ever stops making them.