Sick of peeling lenses

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Months back I discovered that my Oakley jawbreaker had its lens coating (is it a hydrophobic layer?) totally cracked up after fitting it on my helmet and then taking it off, as if it was smashed by a hammer. Today, I realised the same thing happening to my Ekoi pair, and I've absolutely no idea how that happened.

Does anyone else have such similar experiences with other brands so we can all avoid them? Thinking of maybe trying 100% next. Image
Last edited by Kayrehn on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

moonoi

by moonoi

I’ve not yet found a brand that doesn’t do this, though I found Oakley to be the worst, and Rapha to last the longest so far...

C36

by C36

Happened to me on my jawbone polarised, Oakley did offer a discount on next pair but tired of their quality drop (frames losing colour and raw plastic appearing) I gave up and went for almost new M-frames (previous lasted 10years!).

Now according to Oakley it was linked to “extended exposition to high heat, probability behind car windshield” (something that might have happen)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

dmp

by dmp

I had the same probem with a pair of Oakleys a few years ago (interestingly I've never had the problem with Oakley ski goggle lenses, even though a few are many years old). My Rudy Projects or Dual lenses have never had this peeling problem.

surfinguru

by surfinguru

My Smiths have done this as well. Wasn’t a problem as they dropped me a new pair in the mail via warranty claim. I’ve thought about going Oakley, but it just seems they’re always trying to screw their customer when it come to making a warranty claim. Guess I’ll stick with Smith a little while longer.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I've been using Rudy Projects with prescription lenses for a long time, and have never had this problem. The original versions had prescription lenses behind the normal sunglass, the more recent versions have the prescription actually ground into the sunglass lens.

okimy

by okimy

moonoi wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:35 pm
I’ve not yet found a brand that doesn’t do this, though I found Oakley to be the worst, and Rapha to last the longest so far...
Rapha glasses are pretty good (Carl Zeiss lenses), they get my vote too. I've been using pro team arenbergs for quite a bit now. 100% (non hiper lenses) and Julbo have also held up well for me, I can't comment on any others though.

kgt

by kgt

Assos use Zeiss lenses also and I am sure they will hold up fine but these are too expesive.

GaBa

by GaBa

Indeed, I had first generation Zeghos for ca three years and they were amazing quality wise. Unfortunately they weren’t good for putting them in helmet vents and once fell down, while catching them I squeezed them and they broke at the nose pad. That is one pitfall of these glasses, that lense is really exposed and there’s no frame to protect it or give it firmness.

I now have Oakley Jawbreakers and in just couple of months I noticed some scratches on lenses. Disappointed with quality.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Thanks for the comments here, I'll see if any of my mates have Raphas for me to try. I've the typical flat Asian face so having the chance to try them on first is kinda important - the Ekois were resting more on my cheekbones than my nose tbh.

Any ideas what causes these spontaneous coating cracks? Is it from flexing the lenses?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

C36

by C36

Kayrehn wrote:
Any ideas what causes these spontaneous coating cracks? Is it from flexing the lenses?

As I previously mentioned, Oakley (an optician confirmed he would agree) mentioned high heat. The coating having a different thermal expansion coef than the lense. It was possible since I may have left them behind the car windshield on few occasions.

moonoi

by moonoi

C36 wrote:
Kayrehn wrote:

As I previously mentioned, Oakley (an optician confirmed he would agree) mentioned high heat. The coating having a different thermal expansion coef than the lense. It was possible since I may have left them behind the car windshield on few occasions.

Well my oakleys have never been left behind a car windshield, only used them for cycling here in Thailand and I’d expect them to be able to hope with the heat when they’re sat on my face...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

If you are interested in Zeiss lenses, KOO (Kask) has them as well. Superior in every way to Oakley prizm or otherwise imo and I've owned them all.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

shotgun

by shotgun

I've had a few Oakleys. Jawbone, Jawbreaker and Radar. All of them have delamenated after a year of use. I'm currently using Oakley Sutro for about a year, and so far so good.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie

Jugi

by Jugi

I have Oakley Radarlocks which are about five years old I think. All together five lenses, of which two came originally with the frame and the rest have been bought separately.

Only one lens has started to delaminate (a Jade Iridium pitch) and that is because of mechanical stress, as it has started on the edge which resides inside the nose piece when it's on the frame. In my opinion they're slightly too well built, as I've been good and ready to get a new pair for some time but the Radarlocks just fit me well and the frame doesn't show any wear or tear (apart from the nose pieces).

I had a pair of frameless Bolle sunglasses which started to peel quite badly after 3-4 years of use. My uneducated quess is that peeling happens because of multiple factors - either skin grease or sweat contamination, high heat or mechanical stress.