Winter road shoes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

IvanZg

by IvanZg

The shoes I ordered arrived last night (Fizik Artica R5 and Northwave Extreme RR 3 GTX). Decided to go with Fizik ones. I ordered them in size 43 and 43,5. 43 is the size that fits better (I wear 44 in Nike, Adidas…). Did a ride today and they are warmer than my Giros with overshoes over them. Temperature was not bellow 0C today, but on downhill it was 3C and during the whole descent my toes felt really warm. That adjustment system is basically a draw string like on mountaineering boots. It’s comfy for me and it holds foot in place. There’s quite a lot of string so it needs to be packed neatly otherwise it might cause some discomfort. I guess it can be cut down a bit so it’s easier to pack it bellow the zipper. Zipper looks like something that might be a weak link in this system but I suppose with some care when zipping them down it will not fall apart immediately. Velcro flap is very rigid but when on the bike and pedaling it did not cause any discomfort. They clean easily with wet wipes. Rubber segments on toes and heel are not replaceable.
Northwave fitted good in 43,5 but when tightened they compressed my foot like I’ve put on a really small bouldering shoe. There is no way I would be able to use something that tight during winter. I was not able to adjust it to have foot in place without feeling that pressure, so very binary. I think one additional adjuster might help with that. They’re much harder to put on as the booty goes above the ankle. I had to pull really hard to put my foot in place so I’m not sure how that upper piece of booty will hold its shape over time. Also that ratcheting adjuster feels worse than boa. The whole adjuster is similar in height to boa but the part that is actually used for tightening is very shallow. Rubber inserts on the sole are also not replaceable. There are some vents/drains on the bottom.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just ordered a pair of the Northwave Himalaya Winter MTB Boots - Black / EU43 and finally got a chance to try them in -2C and they worked quite nice in 2hrs ride time. The sizing seemed like their normal as these are not the Extreme series which fit small. The only gripe would be how high they come past the ankle but I just blocked the velcro at the top so it wouldnt hook up which gives a little more flexibility when pedalling and seems to work just fine. These are heavy boots at 1.34kg but when its cold I am just putting in base miles outside. These are much warmer compared to the Extreme series winter boots that I have as they have insulation throughout the interior and the insoles have a foil layer inside for additional warmth. I have also put silicone sealant on the bottom slots where the cleat attach so cold air doesnt enter through the open slots. I think Northwave did a good job on these boots.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

parajba

by parajba

I am in the market for a pair of winter shoes. I have narrowed down my choice to the NW Flash Artic GTX or the Fizik Artica R5. I can get the Fizik for £150 and the NW for £135.
I will be riding and doing long rides of 5 hours through the uk winter.
Any further feedback re these two models is appreciated.
If it's pissing down I doubt that I will go out if it's freezing cold.

kode54

by kode54

velomane wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:28 pm
Numerous references in this thread about how perspiration leads to cold feet. I agree. I surmised years ago that if my feet are getting cold because of the sweat, then reduce the sweat. I rub my feet with antiperspirant before heading out on days where the temperature is at or below the freezing point. My conclusion, though anecdotal, is that my feet are warmer as a result. Anyone else try this?
That's an interesting thought....something which I may try just to see if it works.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs <-- incoming
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I used to suffer with cold feet every winter until I acquired a pair of Shimano Goretex shoes. They were a little too big with summer socks but perfect with winter socks. They allowed movement but also air to be trapped and kept warm. Still have them almost a dozen years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

I could be wrong but it looks like NW Flash Artic GTX has vents in the sole, that they cover by using a foot bed? I don't know about the Fizik R5. That said have the previous Sidi gore-tex boots I and I love them the only issue is that they use velcro and I hate velcro... I am going to upgrade even though I don't need to. When Sidi replace the Sidi Zero...

That is my long way of saying if you ...wait and shop around while you won't get the sidi gore-tex for 135 you should be able to find them for about 200 and they will be the last winter shoes you will ever buy. If you didn't guess I am a sidi fanboy

C

PS I'm not sure that you really need boot anymore if it's just rain... I think that it's possible with gore-tex booties and a waterproof cuff I made my own years ago but now I would just get these
https://www.velotoze.com/collections/ac ... proof-cuff

That said it's not very cold where I live and I like cold.... it gets zero here one or two days a year and it's only for a hour or two ... I have done 5+ hours with gore-tex booties and a waterproof cuff in poring rain 80% of the ride..and feet were dry

jfranci3

by jfranci3

parajba wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 pm
I am in the market for a pair of winter shoes. I have narrowed down my choice to the NW Flash Artic GTX or the Fizik Artica R5. I can get the Fizik for £150 and the NW for £135.
I will be riding and doing long rides of 5 hours through the uk winter.
Any further feedback re these two models is appreciated.
If it's pissing down I doubt that I will go out if it's freezing cold.
Get the NW. The Fizik's have a stupid closing mechanism and the outer fabric tears.

Another thought would be to find a set of thin neoprean socks/booties and put them in your current shoes. Maybe size up and put your insole inside of the bootie eg -https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/comete-win ... #1028=3294 or https://www.nrs.com/product/30011.02/nr ... gLYZPD_BwE You'd probably need to order a dozen to get the fit right.
I could be wrong but it looks like NW Flash Artic GTX has vents in the sole, that they cover by using a foot bed? I don't know about the Fizik R5. That said have the previous Sidi gore-tex boots I and I love them the only issue is that they use velcro and I hate velcro... I am going to upgrade even though I don't need to. When Sidi replace the Sidi Zero...
There is a Goretex lining inside of the shoe between the footbed and the sole covering those holes. Those holes remain to let your foot sweat humidity out.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

I have the Fizik R5s. I have to say after buying them, I can't believe I was riding around with overshoes for so long. Wintershoes are so much warmer. I have ridden them at about -10C and using merino socks I did not have cold feet at all. That said, for me how cold my feet get depends a bit on the day. I like the shoes because they look still like a reasonably sleek cycling shoe, however I'm not sure how they would do in the rain (wet roads and a bit of drizzle are no problem though), as I rather go on the trainer if it's raining and cold outside.
Around here you can often find them for around 150 euros and for that price they are absolutely worth it IMO. For their regular retail (~200 euros) I would have a look around at some of the other options as well.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I've been using the Shimano SH-RW500 for a 3 or 4 winters now. They are well made, not too expensive and are definitely a (winter) upgrade over normal shoes. This said, I still get cold feet when we're under 5 degree celsius or so, even with winter socks. I have always suffered from cold feet in winter, so it might be me, but when I bought them I was hoping for more. When it's really cold (0 degree where I am) I'll combine them with toe covers which kind of does the job but you you add quite some extra weight compared to the summer outfit :)

They also will keep your feet dry in llight drizzle but if it's pouring down, or the roads are very wet water will come in from the top. I actually got myself a pair of neoprene gaiters to prevent that and that works quite well...although these days I'll probably just stay home when it's raining.

In conclusion, they are (obviously) better than summer shoes but don't expect toasty warm toes in winter. I'd actually be interested to find out if other winter shoes would be significantly better in terms of isolation but I guess it's just my genetics, I'll probably get cold toes in any shoe. Another issue is that here you can leave at 0 degree at 8:30 in the morning darkness and come back at 20 and sunshine in the early afternoon, so you kind of have to balance your shoe choice...some cold toes in the morning is ok to prevent overheating in the afternoon I guess :)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

saldegracia wrote:I've been using the Shimano SH-RW500 for a 3 or 4 winters now. They are well made, not too expensive and are definitely a (winter) upgrade over normal shoes. This said, I still get cold feet when we're under 5 degree celsius or so, even with winter socks. I have always suffered from cold feet in winter, so it might be me, but when I bought them I was hoping for more. When it's really cold (0 degree where I am) I'll combine them with toe covers which kind of does the job but you you add quite some extra weight compared to the summer outfit :)

They also will keep your feet dry in llight drizzle but if it's pouring down, or the roads are very wet water will come in from the top. I actually got myself a pair of neoprene gaiters to prevent that and that works quite well...although these days I'll probably just stay home when it's raining.

In conclusion, they are (obviously) better than summer shoes but don't expect toasty warm toes in winter. I'd actually be interested to find out if other winter shoes would be significantly better in terms of isolation but I guess it's just my genetics, I'll probably get cold toes in any shoe. Another issue is that here you can leave at 0 degree at 8:30 in the morning darkness and come back at 20 and sunshine in the early afternoon, so you kind of have to balance your shoe choice...some cold toes in the morning is ok to prevent overheating in the afternoon I guess :)
How is the fit compared to your summer shoes? If they fit like a summer shoe you may not have enough room for a thicker sock. Mine are too big with regular socks but perfect with winter weigh socks like Sportful’s merino ones. My feet still have a bit of wiggle room so the circulation isn’t restricted.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:02 pm

How is the fit compared to your summer shoes? If they fit like a summer shoe you may not have enough room for a thicker sock. Mine are too big with regular socks but perfect with winter weigh socks like Sportful’s merino ones. My feet still have a bit of wiggle room so the circulation isn’t restricted.

They have quite a bit of wiggle room. I have the S-phyre summer shoes and they are much more snug. Maybe I should try layering socks or something... :)