Winter road shoes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

IvanZg

by IvanZg

The shoes I ordered arrived last night (Fizik Artica R5 and Northwave Extreme RR 3 GTX). Decided to go with Fizik ones. I ordered them in size 43 and 43,5. 43 is the size that fits better (I wear 44 in Nike, Adidas…). Did a ride today and they are warmer than my Giros with overshoes over them. Temperature was not bellow 0C today, but on downhill it was 3C and during the whole descent my toes felt really warm. That adjustment system is basically a draw string like on mountaineering boots. It’s comfy for me and it holds foot in place. There’s quite a lot of string so it needs to be packed neatly otherwise it might cause some discomfort. I guess it can be cut down a bit so it’s easier to pack it bellow the zipper. Zipper looks like something that might be a weak link in this system but I suppose with some care when zipping them down it will not fall apart immediately. Velcro flap is very rigid but when on the bike and pedaling it did not cause any discomfort. They clean easily with wet wipes. Rubber segments on toes and heel are not replaceable.
Northwave fitted good in 43,5 but when tightened they compressed my foot like I’ve put on a really small bouldering shoe. There is no way I would be able to use something that tight during winter. I was not able to adjust it to have foot in place without feeling that pressure, so very binary. I think one additional adjuster might help with that. They’re much harder to put on as the booty goes above the ankle. I had to pull really hard to put my foot in place so I’m not sure how that upper piece of booty will hold its shape over time. Also that ratcheting adjuster feels worse than boa. The whole adjuster is similar in height to boa but the part that is actually used for tightening is very shallow. Rubber inserts on the sole are also not replaceable. There are some vents/drains on the bottom.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just ordered a pair of the Northwave Himalaya Winter MTB Boots - Black / EU43 and finally got a chance to try them in -2C and they worked quite nice in 2hrs ride time. The sizing seemed like their normal as these are not the Extreme series which fit small. The only gripe would be how high they come past the ankle but I just blocked the velcro at the top so it wouldnt hook up which gives a little more flexibility when pedalling and seems to work just fine. These are heavy boots at 1.34kg but when its cold I am just putting in base miles outside. These are much warmer compared to the Extreme series winter boots that I have as they have insulation throughout the interior and the insoles have a foil layer inside for additional warmth. I have also put silicone sealant on the bottom slots where the cleat attach so cold air doesnt enter through the open slots. I think Northwave did a good job on these boots.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie