2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

flying

by flying

LouisN wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:13 am
flying wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:07 am
I am not a judge nor a jury member
I think you missed the most important point here. We're not talking about a janitor or anonymous steel plant employee.
We're talking about a public person who's hired to be a role model for some brand, well publicized on products, and all over social media.
No I didn't miss anything & what I meant was for all not just "unnoticed/non public" people
I am nobody's judge or jury

Everyone has a right to their own opinion with me period & I do not demand it matches mine

I am not interested in a world full of mutes or party liners because their "public persons" or normal folks
or because the majority shamed them into displaying a false front.

I watch Dygerts cycling performances & enjoy them....period
What she does/says or feels on her own time is not mine to decide or try to control.

I will leave it at that & again am sorry I asked what she did wrong as it was after all just a curiosity
about this odd Anti Social Media circus that this world has become :roll:

blaugrana

by blaugrana

This is extremely hypocritical on the team's part. They know her political views, they sign her anyway because she is going to be (and already is) one of the main stars of the sport for the next few years, and then make her post some bullshit apology that no one believes. If they want everyone on the team to share certain values and political views, they absolutely can, but that choice has consequences, and missing out on a young talent who apparently is a Trump supporter happens to be one of them. What they are doing right now is just pretending, with the intention of getting some good PR quickly and easily but without really standing for anything, and they should be called out on that.

by Weenie

jasjas

by jasjas

A couple of pages on Dygert and what she "liked" on social media, a handful of posts on the UCI and rider safety, following some horrific injuries caused by metal barriers.

Says it all and why we are where we are with the UCI... Gossip rules.

micky

by micky

Meanwhile Evenpoel arrived in Calpe today and there's already an Astana (Vino Motors?) in Albir spotted yesterday.

jever98

by jever98

Fun story about Geoghan Hart and the car he bought his brother 🙂
----
No longer in the industry

AJS914

by AJS914

Dygert is basically guilty of being a dumb ass 20 something. She's actually done nothing even remotely as bad as Moscon. Individually, none of her likes are super horrible and lots of people like Trump that don't agree with all of his policies. There's tons of right wing politics in Europe. I'm sure riders skew both left and right politically. Most are just smart enough to keep their views to themselves if they like taking home their nice paycheck for riding a bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Her likes are super horrible, much like back when my politics were just inherited from my parents. While I think Chloe and Quinn can change, let’s not diminish the fact that liking racist/transphobic tweets and other xenophobic shit is real bad.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

the main issue is - today's politics don't come down to question of taxes or stuff like that. the right wing populists who took over many countries, are set to impose their "way of life" on everyone. it's sort of like "I don't like cookies, so nobody will eat them. we're gonna delegalize them statewide!".

when a public personl, such as an athlete, openly supports those, who aim to control you beyond any reason, and perhaps harm you as well, it becomes problematic - not just for sponsors, but fans as well. like, being black, would you cheer for a rider who supports a racist politician? would you feel ok if he participated in, say, olympic games, representing your country?

yeah, Dygert's still young and that means she has time to learn. but that s-storm IS a learning moment for her. it's not about personal preferences and shutting up and gagging - it's about preserving a friendly and open environment for all. as Karl Popper states in his famous 'tolerance paradox', "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance."
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

robeambro

by robeambro

flying wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:06 pm
LouisN wrote:
flying wrote:
I think you missed the most important point here. We're not talking about a janitor or anonymous steel plant employee.
We're talking about a public person who's hired to be a role model for some brand, well publicized on products, and all over social media.
No I didn't miss anything & what I meant was for all not just "unnoticed/non public" people

Everyone has a right to their own opinion with me period & I do not demand it matches mine

I am not interested in a world full of mutes or party liners because their "public persons" or normal folks

What she does/says or feels on her own time is not mine to decide or try to control.

I will leave it at that & again am sorry I asked what she did wrong as it was after all just a curiosity
Jeez, it's not that difficult. "We can have different opinions and still be friends" does not freaking apply to racist/homophobic/transophobic views. If you're unhappy with it, there might still be a few third-world countries were this doesn't apply.

stoney

by stoney

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:24 am
Her likes are super horrible, much like back when my politics were just inherited from my parents. While I think Chloe and Quinn can change, let’s not diminish the fact that liking racist/transphobic tweets and other xenophobic shit is real bad.
Which particular likes were "super horrible" or "xenophobic"? Enlighten me with some examples of her xenophobic "likes". Don't just start calling her names without giving examples because you're then no better of a person.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

stoney wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Which particular likes were "super horrible" or "xenophobic"? Enlighten me with some examples of her xenophobic "likes". Don't just start calling her names without giving examples because you're then no better of a person.

I was writing generally of neo-conservatives slurping up more and more neo-fascist rhetoric (from Trump, from anyone.) It's why I didn't single Chloe out in my post and included Quinn. Obviously you won't like this answer.

flying

by flying

robeambro wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm
If you're unhappy with it, there might still be a few third-world countries were this doesn't apply.
Thanks I'm good where I am but your free to wander/riot/cry/stomp your feet as needed etc etc :thumbup:

zmjones

by zmjones

robeambro wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm
flying wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:06 pm
LouisN wrote:
flying wrote:

Jeez, it's not that difficult. "We can have different opinions and still be friends" does not freaking apply to racist/homophobic/transophobic views. If you're unhappy with it, there might still be a few third-world countries were this doesn't apply.
what is considered racist or homophobic has changed dramatically in the past couple of years and is still the subject of a great deal of debate, even amongst self-described progressives. the set of issues about which people can disagree and "still be friends" has substantially narrowed in recent years, and will likely continue to as political polarization continues to increase.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I've said it before on the Quinn Simmons thread and I'll say it again here. This isn't about freedom of speech, or freedom to believe what anyone wants to believe. People around the world are free to say whatever they want to say, at any time.

People are not free from the consequences of their speech or expression of views. Canyon-SRAM or Trek Segafredo undoubtedly have rules and clauses in their contracts involving this exact situation and they are under no obligation or requirement to retain Dygert, Simmons, or whoever because they have 'protected free speech'.

Both parties I've referred to have now suffered the consequences of their words/actions and hopefully learn from it. Even if they don't change their views at all, they should at minimum understand that as professional athletes, their words matter and they can live and die (figuratively) by them.
Wilier Cento10AIR Rim Brake - SRAM Force AXS
3T Exploro 105 - Gravel/Commuter/Trainer

Strava link: https://www.strava.com/athletes/jmeinholdt
YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTGn14 ... N_N-wHlViQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Can we talk about cyclocross yet
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

by Weenie