2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

ooo

by ooo

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-de ... is-season/
Alpecin-Fenix 2020 squad

Antoine Benoist (Fra), Ryan Cortjens (Bel), Dries De Bondt (Bel), Floris De Tier (Bel), Peter Fagerhaug (Nor), Samuel Gaze (Aus), Lasse Norman Hansen (Den), Roy Jans (Bel), Jimmy Janssens (Bel), Alexander Krieger (Ger), Senne Leysen (Bel), Marcel Meisen (Ger), Tim Merlier (Bel), Sacha Modolo (Ita), Alexander Richardson (GBr), Oscar Riesebeek (Ned), Jonas Rickaert (Bel), Loris Rouiller (Sui), Kristian Sbaragli (Ita), Scott Thwaites (GBr), Ben Tulett (GBr), Petr Vakoč (Cze), David van der Poel (Ned), Mathieu van der Poel (Ned), Niels Vandeputte (Bel), Otto Vergaerde (Bel), Gianni Vermeersch (Bel), Louis Vervaecke (Bel), Philipp Walsleben (Ger)

Ceylin del Carmen Alvarado (Ned), Ronja Eibl (Ger)
Mathieu van der Poel's provisional 2020 schedule

March 7: Strade Bianche
March 11-17: Tirreno-Adriatico
March 21: Milan-San Remo
March 23-29: Volta a Catalunya
April 1: Dwars door Vlaanderen
April 5: Tour of Flanders
April 12: Paris-Roubaix
April 15: Brabantse Pijl
April 19: Amstel Gold Race
April 22: La Flèche Wallonne
May: UCI Mountain Bike World Cup rounds
July 27: Olympic Games, cross-country mountain bike
September 6: UCI Mountain Bike World Championships

'

ooo

by ooo

Movistar goes disc-only with SRAM, ending 37-year partnership with Campagnolo

https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/statu ... 5372940289

@Movistar_Team:

Introducing our new partnership with the @SRAMroad Group and @ZippSpeed, official sponsors for componentry and wheels through 2021.

https://movistarteam.com/en/2020-01-02/sram-joins
https://movistarteam.com/en/2020-01-02/zipp-joins
The entire team is equipped with SRAM’s wireless RED eTap AXS HRD componentry, and this year will be the entire team’s first season exclusively on disc brakes.

SRAM’s AXS gearing features a wider gear range and closer gear progression than traditional systems. While there are numerous gearing options, and riders will make individual determinations for specific races, the women’s team will predominantly ride the 48/35 chainrings, while the men will most often ride the 50/37. Both teams prefer the 10-33 cassette. The team’s wheel inventory includes the entire Zipp Firecrest and Zipp NSW lineup.
'

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lol, why even mention that the men and women will be using different gearing. It's never really been mentioned before.

Jugi

by Jugi

Because now consumers know what gearing to get if they want to ride just like their respective pro-countersparts.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:45 am
Lol, why even mention that the men and women will be using different gearing. It's never really been mentioned before.
I get what you're saying.... and it definitely could have some strange sexist overtones, but I also think it could simply come down to SRAM trying to get out the fact that the AXS groupset has entirely different chainring and cassette combinations. I'd guess that most of us on this board are aware of the changes that SRAM made and how they effect the gearing ranges, but it is my experience that most of the general bike buying public isn't aware. While on group rides over the last year, I've heard more thn one person ask why so and so's new bike has a compact chainring, not aware of the fact that the gearing is actually just a big and actually a wider range than their 53/39 and 11-28 range.

In general, I think its strange that people have this fascination with what gears the pro's use or what other people are using... it's my experience that most normal people use gearing that's too tall for them because they think it shoes they are stronger, when in reality, they're actually slower than they could be on a mid-compact or compact.

themidge

by themidge

While there are numerous gearing options, and riders will make individual determinations for specific races, the women’s team will predominantly ride the 48/35 chainrings, while the men will most often ride the 50/37.
Sounds like the riders get to choose their gearing themselves and the women in general chose slightly easier gearing, which would make sense since they go slightly slower than the men.

It'd be interesting to see if many women pros use compacts at the moment, going off GCN pro bike videos (small sample) most run 53/39 with a few 50/34.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

themidge wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm
It'd be interesting to see if many women pros use compacts at the moment, going off GCN pro bike videos (small sample) most run 53/39 with a few 50/34.
I'd guess that for most of the women 53-39 would be the right choice.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:45 am
I get what you're saying.... and it definitely could have some strange sexist overtones, but I also think it could simply come down to SRAM trying to get out the fact that the AXS groupset has entirely different chainring and cassette combinations. I'd guess that most of us on this board are aware of the changes that SRAM made and how they effect the gearing ranges, but it is my experience that most of the general bike buying public isn't aware. While on group rides over the last year, I've heard more thn one person ask why so and so's new bike has a compact chainring, not aware of the fact that the gearing is actually just a big and actually a wider range than their 53/39 and 11-28 range.

In general, I think its strange that people have this fascination with what gears the pro's use or what other people are using... it's my experience that most normal people use gearing that's too tall for them because they think it shoes they are stronger, when in reality, they're actually slower than they could be on a mid-compact or compact.

Erase all doubt:
SRAM’s AXS gearing features a wider gear range and closer gear progression than traditional systems. There are numerous gearing options, and riders will make individual determinations for specific races. Many riders will stay with the 50/37 on flatter course profiles while opting for the 48/35 in the mountains. 48x10 is already a higher gear ratio than 53x11.

ooo

by ooo

Why they put together "SRAM’s AXS gearing features...closer gear progression than traditional systems" and "Both teams prefer the 10-33 cassette"
It's odd that "Both teams" avoid using "closer gear progression" 12-speed sram cassettes 10-26/28 and prefer "wider gear progression" 10-33?
'

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

TobinHatesYou wrote: Erase all doubt:
SRAM’s AXS gearing features a wider gear range and closer gear progression than traditional systems. There are numerous gearing options, and riders will make individual determinations for specific races. Many riders will stay with the 50/37 on flatter course profiles while opting for the 48/35 in the mountains. 48x10 is already a higher gear ratio than 53x11.
SRAM must be using different math than me because I think 53-11 is (slightly) taller than 48-10.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LiquidCooled wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:09 am

SRAM must be using different math than me because I think 53-11 is (slightly) taller than 48-10.

Er... right. Brainpo. Use the term "roughly equivalent" instead.

kgt

by kgt

More on De Rosa and Cofidis:

They will ride De Rosa's most beautiful bike IMO:

Other sponsors: Campagnolo, Fulcrum, Michelin, Selle Italia, FSA & Vision, Elite, Look, Ekoï, Nalini

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris- ... r-setback/

Thought I'd hear some chat about this here. Froome is trying to come back from some major injuries and he is old by Tour winning standards. Apart from Firmin Lambot in 1922, no rider has won the Tour de France over the age of 34.5 years. Froome will be 35 years and 2 months old come the end of this year's Tour.

Jugi

by Jugi

I'd say that's a perfect information operation by team Ineos. He might have turned ill during camp for all we can gather from that story. Telling the Italian cycling media "he is not well" is like throwing a gas canister on a bonfire.

However, Froome can't have any setbacks as he is already on the backfoot. Training through the off-season this winter may have some benefit meanwhile other GT contenders are taking it easy, but every delay affects the team's GT campaign as a whole.

Omiar

by Omiar

Is there any information why Movistar went with SRAM besides the option that SRAM could probably "throw a lot of sponsorship money to them"?
Scott Foil Disc Ultegra Di2 R8070
Scott Foil Ultegra Di2 6750
Scott Scale 935 carbon 2015 Di2 - the "gravel eater / winter bike"
Scott Spark LTD 29" XT M8000 - sold
Scott Scale 35 26" - sold