2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

by Weenie

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

gotta admitt - I've crossed Alaphilippe off, remembering how he lacked the kick during some od his TdF brakeaways. I also thought WVA, Fuls and Kwiato will bring him back.. well, it's a nice way to be wrong, and i agree next year rainbow jersey will be worn in a great fashion :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

Well deserved win and as @tymon_tm said he definitely will be wearing the stripes in great fashion! It was clear very quickly that the group wouldn't catch him I thought. The only one actually doing proper turns was Fuglsang in the beginning. WvA should have really taken the initiative and done the biggest chunk of the work, it was clear that nobody else would work if he wasn't doing that, understandably looking at the sprint, they couldn't even hold his wheel when he started.

madik

by madik

Wonderful race to watch. It's like the monuments, always great. But personally it's really tough to watch the strategies of racers like today. Doing fake pulls in the chasing group which helps no one. Obviously all of the guys in chase group knew that they have zero chance to out sprint WVA but they could have at least sprint for second or third place and not just for 3rd like today. Also they would have some chance with a surprise attack 1-2km to go when the rides would have start attacking each other. Obviously I was cheering for a WVA so Iam probably biased :) Primoz also could have tried to help a friend... :)
Functionality > Performance > Weight

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

this was such a sick aerial shot

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yeah they have been using that shot all week.. loving it
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

madik wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 pm
Wonderful race to watch. It's like the monuments, always great. But personally it's really tough to watch the strategies of racers like today. Doing fake pulls in the chasing group which helps no one. Obviously all of the guys in chase group knew that they have zero chance to out sprint WVA but they could have at least sprint for second or third place and not just for 3rd like today. Also they would have some chance with a surprise attack 1-2km to go when the rides would have start attacking each other. Obviously I was cheering for a WVA so Iam probably biased :) Primoz also could have tried to help a friend... :)

Primoz would have helped if able. I think the reality is that everyone not named Wout in that group was running on empty. A slight hesitation cost Wout what could have been.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

madik wrote:Wonderful race to watch. It's like the monuments, always great. But personally it's really tough to watch the strategies of racers like today. Doing fake pulls in the chasing group which helps no one. Obviously all of the guys in chase group knew that they have zero chance to out sprint WVA but they could have at least sprint for second or third place and not just for 3rd like today. Also they would have some chance with a surprise attack 1-2km to go when the rides would have start attacking each other. Obviously I was cheering for a WVA so Iam probably biased :) Primoz also could have tried to help a friend... :)
I agree. It’s also why MVdP’s Amstel Gold win last year was probably the greatest end to a race I’ve ever seen. It would have been cool if WvA tried to do that.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

kkibbler

by kkibbler

When Wout went he almost gapped Hirschi.

Alafpolak totally deserved the win and not only because the chasers decided they wanted to race for the medals and not the stripes.
Really frustrating to watch Roglic (OK fine he only just got 2nd at the Tour big whoop...), MSR winner Kwiato, wunderkind WvA, and Fuglsang not work together and I'm sure Alaphilippe gambled on that.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

mega happy for ala. he's got that 'lactic resistivity' (made up term i think) that purito's coach said only purito and gilbert had. He cant just seem to go over the top when everyone is on their limit. He'll do the jersey proud i think showing it in races and perhaps getting good results (no curse please).

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:27 pm
... A slight hesitation cost Wout what could have been.
It truly is amazing, how those mere seconds of hesitation can destroy your whole race.
Alot of the game is picking that right moment to go.
And you know that each moment can be everything, an entire race in that moment.

sychen

by sychen

UpFromOne wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:27 pm
It truly is amazing, how those mere seconds of hesitation can destroy your whole race.
Alot of the game is picking that right moment to go.
And you know that each moment can be everything, an entire race in that moment.
He needs to learn to just stick to JA's wheel.. Wether he can on one of those explosive attacks is another question.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

sychen wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:37 am
He needs to learn to just stick to JA's wheel.. Wether he can on one of those explosive attacks is another question.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
UpFromOne wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:21 am
No hesistation, imho Wout was maxed out on the climb. He was perfectly placed already on JA's wheel when JA launched.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

JA has been baiting them since the 2nd week of the TDF with all those failed bursts and then getting dropped... suckers.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

by Weenie

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Lol, amazing if true.
Could it also add another dimension to the theatrics being shown by the French riders with three laps to go?