2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRich

by TheRich

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:30 pm
As far as american talents, current established names are not at the top of the game, not only in Roubaix but stage racing, sprinting... but there are young ones coming up that could be, Quinn Simmons comes to mind, I'll be curious to see what he does this year.
When he won, all I could think of was "so the guy with the beard won the junior national championship, shocking."

We'll see...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

That's not a beard lol its a bit of rang fluff lol

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

LouisN

by LouisN

Speaking of piling up miles (or km's), Simmons's Strava data is impressive for a 19 yr old...

Louis :)

TheRich

by TheRich

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:07 am

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Just saying he's more physically mature than typical at that age, which is a huge advantage...at that age.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Well he's out of the juniors now, he's going to have to face Simon Geschke! :mrgreen:

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 pm
Well he's out of the juniors now, he's going to have to face Simon Geschke! :mrgreen:

He's going to have to step it up then. Geschke is the man in the beard stakes. Perhaps he should aim for Geoffrey Soupe first.

flying

by flying

Looks like Quickstep is switched from Bryton to Wahoo

flying

by flying

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:07 am
:lol: :lol:
True it is not ZZ Top-able :wink:

micky

by micky

Quickstep using aluminium again like last winter/summer/wherever you're based.

ducman

by ducman

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:36 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:but there are young ones coming up that could be, Quinn Simmons comes to mind, I'll be curious to see what he does this year.
I picture him and MVDP mixing it up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Less then 50 days to Omloop het Nieuwsblad, official start of the Flemish powerhouse season :)

liam7020

by liam7020

ducman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:09 am

Less then 50 days to Omloop het Nieuwsblad, official start of the Flemish powerhouse season :)
Correct, the real season begins! Bring it on!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

benzebub

by benzebub

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:25 pm
Personally, I don't think he'd stand a chance agains the Sagans, MVDPs, GVAs of the world. Those guys have been at that level for years and are at the peak of their powers.
This right here..

There is a huge difference between winning a race of attrition like Dirty Kanza and competing with top level pro's in a world tour race.
Just look at Julien Vemote. The guy pulled the peloton for hours on end and has a huge engine. He tried to be a leader at Dimension Data and failed because, despite his huge engine, he didn't have the 5 minute punch to make or follow the decisive attack.
I believe that if he chose to join EF en ride P-R, his role would be that of a domestique and I can imagine it must be hard (mentally) to go from being in the spotlight (winning DK) to be pack fodder and even have a DNF dangling above your head.
But I could be wrong

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

The wildcard invites for Paris-Roubaix are now official:

Alpecin - Fenix : Mathieu Van der Poel
Total - Direct Énergie : Niki Terpstra
Arkéa - Samsic : Nairo Quintana :mrgreen:
Circus - Wanty Gobert
B&B Hôtels - Vital Concept
Nippo Delko Provence
Rain?

KWalker

by KWalker

nathanong87 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:38 pm
so to play devil's advocate, i explored the other side of the coin being that P-R is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and any cyclist that is worth his weight in salt probably wants a crack at one of the famous races in the world. Not all neo pros even get a team's commitment to race PR, but JV seemed to promise it.

From a monetary and sponsor question, Colin has done the 'hard' part in life already compared to other former pros. He has a degree and full time job , which i'm sure he can come back to the field in 1-2 years. Sponsorship wise, despite taking a step back for a short time, perhaps sponsors be able and willing to sign a 'former pro' in 1-2 years with the pedigree even moreso than now. Maybe after 'retiring' from a short world tour career, he'd gain even more sponsors than he had before .... or commentate on t.v.....or open his own gran fando. (half kidding).

I get the financial stability thing, but my YOLO POV could offer that the world tour contract thing doesn't come around often, and for Colin having a backup plan already..... fairly 'low risk' it seems.

Amateur gravel will always be there when he wants, but u can't exactly sign up for Paris Roubaix on bikereg.com
micky wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:29 am
As long as he makes decent money for living, nothing wrong with that.
Sounds very similar to Williams brothers who prefer to stick at crits than chasing a pro career.
The williams brother thing is similar but a little different to me. 1) i think they like beating up on amateurs (again half kidding) 2) I think if justin or cory was offered a world tour (not domestic pro) WORLD TOUR contract to race and equivalent to P-R for sprinters, they'd take it.
It's not amateur gravel anymore though. Maybe he doesn't see racing in Europe as all that fulfilling or interesting? He's earning more money and has a chance to be there as pro gravel takes off. So it's make less money and likely not win anything or make more money, with more freedom, being one of the first big names in a discipline that might just be more along his wavelength. It's a known-known.

The track record of late-bloomers doing anything at that level isn't great. Woods was younger when he transitioned as was Gaimon. Gaimon had a degree and I think a job and the only reason he makes money is because he rode the cookie train on social media.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

okimy

by okimy

It's probably too early to judge but Greipel seems to be doing better at Israel Startup Nation. I never thought I'd see him in the mix at the TDU, considering the quality of the other sprinters. Sam Welsford has also impressed me so far.