2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

^^ this.

In reality all JV was offering him was a chance to loose money and burn out what will likely be a lucrative little earner for him in years to come as Gravel evolves.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

At 33 years-old, he also doesn't have a lot of time to figure out the ins and outs of the World Tour. Vaughters really just wanted him to keep doing what he was doing with less freedom and one piece of bait (P-R) to keep his sponsors happy. If Strickland wins Dirty Kanza and other major gravel events, Cannondale gets to feature the story/product in their 2021 catalog...as do Rapha, Garmin/Tacx, POC, etc. They need him more than he needs them.

by Weenie

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Would RedBull etc hang around tho if he had to assimilate into a road team tho? Even JV admitted he would lose much of his personal sponsor freedoms to do it with a <10% chance of actually ever pulling it off.

Stick with gravel and build on the sponsors he has with the way gravel is taking over America was a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:14 am
Would RedBull etc hang around tho if he had to assimilate into a road team tho? Even JV admitted he would lose much of his personal sponsor freedoms to do it with a <10% chance of actually ever pulling it off.

Stick with gravel and build on the sponsors he has with the way gravel is taking over America was a no brainer.

WVA, PFP and Chloe Dygert never wear Red Bull themed helmets in road events, but do in everything else (XC, CX, track.) There's obvious incentive for them to do more events that make their sponsors visible and happy (eg PFP stepping away from road in 2020.) Also yes I imagine sponsorship is more of a buyer's market for individuals rather than entire professional road teams...especially in America where the demise of competitive road cycling is accelerating. Regionally we just lost the two largest amateur stage races in California (Chico and San Dimas.) And of course Tour of California is on hiatus, though that might be in part because of the 2020 Summer Olympics.

micky

by micky

nathanong87 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:54 am
what do yal think of that article about colin strickland turning town a neo pro contract (and riding Paris Rouabaix) to continue riding adventure rides as a privateer?
As long as he makes decent money for living, nothing wrong with that.
Sounds very similar to Williams brothers who prefer to stick at crits than chasing a pro career.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

micky wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:54 am
what do yal think of that article about colin strickland turning town a neo pro contract (and riding Paris Rouabaix) to continue riding adventure rides as a privateer?
Sounds very similar to Williams brothers who prefer to stick at crits than chasing a pro career.
Justin Williams mentioned a 2021 UCI Conti Pro goal in an Instagram post about 2020 Goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

so to play devil's advocate, i explored the other side of the coin being that P-R is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and any cyclist that is worth his weight in salt probably wants a crack at one of the famous races in the world. Not all neo pros even get a team's commitment to race PR, but JV seemed to promise it.

From a monetary and sponsor question, Colin has done the 'hard' part in life already compared to other former pros. He has a degree and full time job , which i'm sure he can come back to the field in 1-2 years. Sponsorship wise, despite taking a step back for a short time, perhaps sponsors be able and willing to sign a 'former pro' in 1-2 years with the pedigree even moreso than now. Maybe after 'retiring' from a short world tour career, he'd gain even more sponsors than he had before .... or commentate on t.v.....or open his own gran fando. (half kidding).

I get the financial stability thing, but my YOLO POV could offer that the world tour contract thing doesn't come around often, and for Colin having a backup plan already..... fairly 'low risk' it seems.

Amateur gravel will always be there when he wants, but u can't exactly sign up for Paris Roubaix on bikereg.com
micky wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:29 am
The williams brother thing is similar but a little different to me. 1) i think they like beating up on amateurs (again half kidding) 2) I think if justin or cory was offered a world tour (not domestic pro) WORLD TOUR contract to race and equivalent to P-R for sprinters, they'd take it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JV promised him P-R, but he didn’t promise that he’d be there to win.

And while Justin and Cory are good at what they do, neither are in a position to receive a hypothetical WT contract. Justin tried to race in Europe once. It did not go well.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nathanong87 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:38 pm
so to play devil's advocate, i explored the other side of the coin being that P-R is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and any cyclist that is worth his weight in salt probably wants a crack at one of the famous races in the world. Not all neo pros even get a team's commitment to race PR, but JV seemed to promise it.

From a monetary and sponsor question, Colin has done the 'hard' part in life already compared to other former pros. He has a degree and full time job , which i'm sure he can come back to the field in 1-2 years. Sponsorship wise, despite taking a step back for a short time, perhaps sponsors be able and willing to sign a 'former pro' in 1-2 years with the pedigree even moreso than now. Maybe after 'retiring' from a short world tour career, he'd gain even more sponsors than he had before .... or commentate on t.v.....or open his own gran fando. (half kidding).

I get the financial stability thing, but my YOLO POV could offer that the world tour contract thing doesn't come around often, and for Colin having a backup plan already..... fairly 'low risk' it seems.

Amateur gravel will always be there when he wants, but u can't exactly sign up for Paris Roubaix on bikereg.com
micky wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:29 am
The williams brother thing is similar but a little different to me. 1) i think they like beating up on amateurs (again half kidding) 2) I think if justin or cory was offered a world tour (not domestic pro) WORLD TOUR contract to race and equivalent to P-R for sprinters, they'd take it.
I'm with you.... I think you have to at least try. Its an oppurtunity that may only come along once and if you don't try, you'll never know.

I grew up playing golf... had a college scholarship offer to a school but didnt take it. I'll always wonder what if I had...

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:46 pm

I grew up playing golf... had a college scholarship offer to a school but didnt take it. I'll always wonder what if I had...
I work for a very stable job now , if (insert my favorite soccer team) right now i was offered 50% pay cut but promised to be on the team and play on the biggest derby in the calendar , with the hopes of performing for future scouts or future as a pro, id take it. Obviously this is a simplistic example or maybe i'm holding P-R too high on a pedestal for cyclists? haha just interesting scenarios to think about though right? :-D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It shouldn’t be hard to believe there are many elite/pro American multi-discipline cyclists that really don’t give a shit about P-R.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

There is a huge gap between winning gravel semi-amateur domestic races/fondos and winning Roubaix. He probably knows he doesn't stand much of a chance so it wasn't worth it to throw all he has successfully going on now to just survive or start Paris-Roubaix. And at 33, it's a bit late to figure out positioning in the WorldTour peloton, tactics, reacting to Sagan, GVA, MVDP, WVA and guys that are in a class he has never raced against and such things he would need time to figure out. At 33 he can still go on in the gravel world for many years succesfully because the (current) level is much lower as illustrated by Ted King having a lot of success there while being way down the pecking order on the road.

As far as american talents, current established names are not at the top of the game, not only in Roubaix but stage racing, sprinting... but there are young ones coming up that could be, Quinn Simmons comes to mind, I'll be curious to see what he does this year.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Dan Gerous wrote:but there are young ones coming up that could be, Quinn Simmons comes to mind, I'll be curious to see what he does this year.
I picture him and MVDP mixing it up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Strickland made the right move. JV was offering him peanuts and a chance. Strickland would have had to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsorship to do that. At his age, he needs to make a nestegg over the next few years while he has a chance not go and be poor in Europe.

Personally, I don't think he'd stand a chance agains the Sagans, MVDPs, GVAs of the world. Those guys have been at that level for years and are at the peak of their powers.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Shameless plug, but really very flattered Romain Bardet and Mavic have been so generous with their kicks - to the point of letting us put up shots and an auction in spite of it being ahead of the worldwide debut of the Comete Ultimate II.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mavic- ... re-relief/

Not all big brands get around without a social conscience :beerchug:

by Weenie