2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

And all that stuff was nothing compared to the EPO era.

by Weenie

Aeo

by Aeo

Martin Maes tested for Probenecid last year. It's still around.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Aeo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:53 am
Martin Maes tested for Probenecid last year. It's still around.
Though it should be noted that he was given it by an independent event doctor as urgent treatment for an infection in a wound he sustained at the race. His only mistake was not checking the control list himself and getting a TUE straight away.

LouisN

by LouisN

Heard Remco Evenepoel will do 2020 Giro d'Italia ?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pcwZbz72w

Louis :)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

LouisN wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 pm
Heard Remco Evenepoel will do 2020 Giro d'Italia ?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pcwZbz72w

Louis :)
I wasn't expecting that. I was sure that at his age (he'll turn 20 later this month) that he would do a season or two of the tougher week long stage races like P-Nice, T-Adriatico and the Dauphine before he would be put into a GT.

LouisN

by LouisN

Lots of things can happen till may.
Evenepoel's entourage have proven to make good decisions until now.
I'm expecting the best event of 2020, if Lotto-Jumbo (Visma) comes up with a healthy team.

Louis :-)

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:16 am
t they're pretty normal personalities who were tempted by magic beans and made bad choices.
That's some good wisdom; for a lot of folks the hard moral line between condemning dopers and forgiving becomes a lot more gray when you actually meet and get to know someone who is an ex-doper.

I'm sure that in my late teens and early 20's, with a legit shot to turn pro, I'd have been doping too. And for me, those years happened to fall in the rocket fuel era of doping.

There's a lot of folks on this forum who pretend they wouldn't have doped in the right era if it meant having a job racing ...or being unemployed and letting their pro career dream die along with many years of hard work and suffering.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Matt28NJ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:02 pm
There's a lot of folks on this forum who pretend they wouldn't have doped in the right era if it meant having a job racing ...or being unemployed and letting their pro career dream die along with many years of hard work and suffering.
Very pathetic in my opinion.
There are many opportunities in everyones professional career for cheating and most people don't do it. No matter which effort it took to get where they are right now and what consequences they're expecting.

I don't understand why dopers always come up with this stupid excuse and how people fall for it.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am
Very pathetic in my opinion.
There are many opportunities in everyones professional career for cheating and most people don't do it. No matter which effort it took to get where they are right now and what consequences they're expecting.

I don't understand why dopers always come up with this stupid excuse and how people fall for it.
So what happens when your boss tells you to cheat? And if you don't you'll not only be fired from his organisation but you'll be blacklisted, unable to pursue any other opportunities, cut off from the career you've been working towards since you were a kid? If your moral code is so strong that the right answer is a no brainer for you, then great. But if you only think it is because it's never been tested in that way then you might be surprised at what you find if it ever is.

Pro cyclists aren't inherently less moral than normal people. You don't need to be predisposed to being a cheating bastard in order to be good at riding a bike. So when you get to a situation like the '90s and early '00s when damn near everyone in the peloton was on the juice you need to look a little deeper to find out why.

spud

by spud

Most people think they know what they would do in a hypothetical stressful situation. Fact is, you don't know until you are actually in the situation.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I admit, that i can't know for sure how i would react in such a extreme circumstance.
But this is also not really the situation most of those doping were in.

I don't want to say that this situations didn't exist, but its too easy to relativize doping with the pressure those athletes face.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

spud wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:37 pm
Most people think they know what they would do in a hypothetical stressful situation. Fact is, you don't know until you are actually in the situation.
Ain't that the word. Not as an excuse, but reality sure does get interesting.
BTW I quit racing because I wouldn't do it.
Plenty of other ways to make a living, even if leaving leaves only the cheaters!

TheRich

by TheRich

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:29 pm
I admit, that i can't know for sure how i would react in such a extreme circumstance.
But this is also not really the situation most of those doping were in.

I don't want to say that this situations didn't exist, but its too easy to relativize doping with the pressure those athletes face.
Please describe the situation they were in.

These guys were getting up in the middle of the night so they wouldn't die in their sleep and you're pretending it was some casual choice like the color of your bike.

Kjetil

by Kjetil

Took them a few steps to get that far though.

micky

by micky

We're just on 14th January and already derailling strongly on the topic.

by Weenie