Narrower pedal spindles for ergonomics / q-factor

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

gb123bike

by gb123bike

I'm a smaller rider and large q-factors are not comfortable for me once the ride gets much over an hour. I also have narrow feet, so there is a ton of room between the edge of my shoe, and the crankarm.

I want to get replacement pedal spindles that are shorter so I can reduce the q-factor on my wider MTB cranks. That's primarily for comfort, but if there's a small WW improvement, hey, nice secondary benefit. For Speedplay pedals there is a large assortment of aftermarket spindles in various lengths, but for better or worse, I am married to SPD format. I have a lot of bikes all running SPD, and several sets of SPD shoes.

I'm running Exustar PM-215's now, and I haven't found any narrower spindles. Does such a thing exist in the SPD world like it does for the Speedplays?

spud

by spud

have you looked at the XTR narrow (52mm) spindle option? Apparently that's the same Q factor as their road pedals.

by Weenie

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Try Ward Industries. tispindles.com if what you want isn’t showing on their website, email them and see what they offer or suggest.

gb123bike

by gb123bike

dereksmalls wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Try Ward Industries. tispindles.com if what you want isn’t showing on their website, email them and see what they offer or suggest.
Interesting, thank you. Most of what their site shows is for Eggbeater style pedals, but it can't hurt to contact them I suppose and see what they say.

Given that we have around eight thousand different bottom bracket standards, 3 wheel sizes, and multiple seatpost diameters, I'm a little surprised pedal mfgs don't sell pedals in short, normal, and long q-factors for different sizes of people.