lightweight seat bags

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

gb123bike

by gb123bike

froze wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:10 pm
NEVER put anything hard like tools or pumps in your jersey pockets
Some good thoughts, thank you!

My main motivation for using a seatbag is to deal with my own absentmindedness. 19 times out of 20, I'd remember to take my spare tubes, patch kit, and mini-toolkit, but the 1 time out of 20 that I'd forget would be the time I'd need it while 40 miles from civilization. If it's always on the bike, then it's always on the bike.

gb123bike

by gb123bike

hkgmatt wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:31 am
I love the Spurcycle Saddle Bag. Ingeniously simple, light (38g according to the manufacturer), can be attached securly, and doesn't shout out its brand.
This actually looks rather nice. Expensive, but if it's nicely made and works well, it'd be worth it. A web review I found claims 58g rather than the mfg's 38g claim, but even 58 is still quite light for a saddlebag, not much more than a third of the weight of my current one.

That velcro will wear out eventually, but it's probably not too hard to replace it if it does.

by Weenie

KCookie

by KCookie

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:28 am
I have the Speesleev Ranger on my road bike and hardtail, reasonably compact and can fit a decent amount in it. You can get a small version of it that is more compact than the regular size.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
I took delivery of a Speedsleev Ranger plus yesterday, got the largest of the three so I could fit in a Tufo tyre. Only weighs 55g. Fits perfectly with co2, tyre levers and multi tool.
Never used one before, had a really light pouch Velcroed under my saddle that fell off with $200 worth of tyre, tools etc. Yes I'm a weightweenie but for the sake of a few extra grams I'm not loosing that amount of gear again.

TheRich

by TheRich

Orbital wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:19 pm
I just picked up a Supacaz seat strap to try out. Had one of those hard shell seat clams before but it rattled over everything and was pretty heavy. Also not a fan of overloading the jersey pockets. I don’t care if pros do it, it still looks terrible.
If you go with a strap, ensure that your tire is completely wrapped up to prevent the inevitable dust/grit and vibration from wearing a hole in the tube. It can and does happen.

I went from (the original) Backcountry Research strap to a saddlebag for that reason, although I still use the strap to prevent any rattling and basically any movement from the bag. My bike is also used on road and gravel, so ymmv, but after discovering a ruined tube, I don't want to repeat that experience.

froze

by froze

I never known any sort of stretchy strap to last more than 3 or 4 years, apparently weather doesn't play nicely with stretchy fabric that some of those bags use.

TheRich

by TheRich

froze wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:39 am
I never known any sort of stretchy strap to last more than 3 or 4 years, apparently weather doesn't play nicely with stretchy fabric that some of those bags use.
The straps in question don't stretch, cinch them down and they are TIGHT...but since they (generally) don't completely support the tube there's going to be a little bouncing (and grit induced wear) in the unsupported part.

froze

by froze

TheRich wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:44 am
froze wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:39 am
The straps in question don't stretch, cinch them down and they are TIGHT...but since they (generally) don't completely support the tube there's going to be a little bouncing (and grit induced wear) in the unsupported part.
So none of those two bags including the Silca uses a stretchy band? it's a solid piece of strong fabric with velcro sewn on to it? I ask this because the video I saw of a person using the Silca stretched the band tightly around the bag then it velcro on, maybe Silca changed the band?

gb123bike

by gb123bike

KCookie wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 pm
I took delivery of a Speedsleev Ranger plus yesterday, got the largest of the three so I could fit in a Tufo tyre. Only weighs 55g. Fits perfectly with co2, tyre levers and multi tool.
That Speedsleev line looks pretty attractive. The only thing I'm worried about is the size - the biggest one still seems kind of small. Is yours big enough to fit two 700x45 tubes plus some patch kits and random odds and ends?

mrd

by mrd

the silca seat roll premio DOES have an elastic starp that fastens with velcro that goes around the seat roll TOP TO BOTTOM and around BEFORE fitting to bike and then a Boa dial wire that is NOT elastic that fastens just like boa dial shoe closure around the seat rails inside a sleeve to protect the rails and then clips back onto the seat roll and then just keep tightening the dial until secure. It really does work!

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

mrd wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:52 pm
the silca seat roll premio DOES have an elastic starp that fastens with velcro that goes around the seat roll TOP TO BOTTOM and around BEFORE fitting to bike and then a Boa dial wire that is NOT elastic that fastens just like boa dial shoe closure around the seat rails inside a sleeve to protect the rails and then clips back onto the seat roll and then just keep tightening the dial until secure. It really does work!
Yup. I've actually complained to Silca about the elastic strap being too long; but to their point, and as they replied to me, it's only purpose is to keep it from opening while you are securing it to the saddle with the Boa.

I do have about a foot of 1/4" wide Velcro that I wrap around it to supliment the elastic, but again, just to keep it closed when not on the bike.

My only other complaint is that the Boa is not serviceable or replaceable as some of the models used in shoes are. I did manage to strip either a few notches or pawls from the internals of one, but Silca replaced the entire roll at no charge and no questions asked. Been very happy with it and Silca in general.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Orbital

by Orbital

TheRich wrote:
Orbital wrote:
I just picked up a Supacaz seat strap to try out. Had one of those hard shell seat clams before but it rattled over everything and was pretty heavy. Also not a fan of overloading the jersey pockets. I don’t care if pros do it, it still looks terrible.
If you go with a strap, ensure that your tire is completely wrapped up to prevent the inevitable dust/grit and vibration from wearing a hole in the tube. It can and does happen.

I went from (the original) Backcountry Research strap to a saddlebag for that reason, although I still use the strap to prevent any rattling and basically any movement from the bag. My bike is also used on road and gravel, so ymmv, but after discovering a ruined tube, I don't want to repeat that experience.
Thanks for the heads up. I thought about wrapping the tub in a ziplock as I usually did in my saddle bag but thought it looked off. Maybe I’ll find a better looking option to wrap the tube in.

KCookie

by KCookie

gb123bike wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:52 pm
KCookie wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 pm
That Speedsleev line looks pretty attractive. The only thing I'm worried about is the size - the biggest one still seems kind of small. Is yours big enough to fit two 700x45 tubes plus some patch kits and random odds and ends?
I've got a tubular tyre, two CO2, tyre levers and multi tool. I think the description says two tubes. It actually has appartments for the tyre levers and CO2 canisters. Great bit of kit.

TheRich

by TheRich

Orbital wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:42 pm
TheRich wrote:
Orbital wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I thought about wrapping the tub in a ziplock as I usually did in my saddle bag but thought it looked off. Maybe I’ll find a better looking option to wrap the tube in.
I wrapped the one on my MTB (a saddlebag will buzz the rear tire) in material trimmed from a big shipping envelope. It may or not be tyvek, but it's waterproof, sort of abrasion resistant and free. It's also inside the main triangle, which is a much cleaner area. Edit: But not very asthetically pleasing for a road bike.

ico

by ico

Castelli Saddlebag XL is not bad either. I could fot in a spare Tufo tubular, levers and a minipump in the mesch underside. It is also waterproof.

froze

by froze

mrd wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:52 pm
So that's why I won't buy any bag with a stretchy velcro band because the crap stretches out in a very short period of time. In addition to the response of another poster the boa does wear and break and it's not replaceable, which is crazy considering boa type shoes saw that potential and made replacement parts for it. This is too many potential problems for a bag that cost more than any other bag on the market to be considered as a good bag, the concept of the bag was a great idea but the usability fell far short; in my opinion it's ridiculas to spend money like that and have a higher fail rate, I don't care about the weight even though this is a weight weenies forum there has to be some logic concerning when is something too light vs reliability. It's also why I won't buy shoes with a boa system because of the fail rate, I don't see why I have to buy parts ever so often for a shoe when simple laces or velcro straps work just fine.

Yeah I know, I'm weird for thinking things should work correctly and last.

by Weenie