lightweight seat bags

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

froze wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:51 pm
mrd wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:52 pm
the silca seat roll premio DOES have an elastic starp that fastens with velcro that goes around the seat roll TOP TO BOTTOM and around BEFORE fitting to bike and then a Boa dial wire that is NOT elastic that fastens just like boa dial shoe closure around the seat rails inside a sleeve to protect the rails and then clips back onto the seat roll and then just keep tightening the dial until secure. It really does work!
So that's why I won't buy any bag with a stretchy velcro band because the crap stretches out in a very short period of time. In addition to the response of another poster the boa does wear and break and it's not replaceable, which is crazy considering boa type shoes saw that potential and made replacement parts for it. This is too many potential problems for a bag that cost more than any other bag on the market to be considered as a good bag, the concept of the bag was a great idea but the usability fell far short; in my opinion it's ridiculas to spend money like that and have a higher fail rate, I don't care about the weight even though this is a weight weenies forum there has to be some logic concerning when is something too light vs reliability. It's also why I won't buy shoes with a boa system because of the fail rate, I don't see why I have to buy parts ever so often for a shoe when simple laces or velcro straps work just fine.

Yeah I know, I'm weird for thinking things should work correctly and last.
Honestly, while yes, the Boa broke on me, I still feel that the Silca seat roll has been the best saddle bag I've owned. To Silca's credit, they did replace it for me pretty quick, no questions asked, I don't think they even ask for a receipt. They just asked me to send back the failed on after I received the replacment. The replacement has held up extremely well through well over 10,000 KM of road, gravel and singletrack.

I've had zippered bags from several brands that have faired much worse over much shorter periods. Nothing I've ever had that secured to the seat rails with velcro has held up this well and any with straps and plastic clips have loosened on the bike where the Boa has held tight. Yes, the elastic strap is crap, but it probably doesn't even need to be on the thing to begin with.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

froze

by froze

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:42 pm
froze wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:51 pm
mrd wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:52 pm
the silca seat roll premio DOES have an elastic starp that fastens with velcro that goes around the seat roll TOP TO BOTTOM and around BEFORE fitting to bike and then a Boa dial wire that is NOT elastic that fastens just like boa dial shoe closure around the seat rails inside a sleeve to protect the rails and then clips back onto the seat roll and then just keep tightening the dial until secure. It really does work!
So that's why I won't buy any bag with a stretchy velcro band because the crap stretches out in a very short period of time. In addition to the response of another poster the boa does wear and break and it's not replaceable, which is crazy considering boa type shoes saw that potential and made replacement parts for it. This is too many potential problems for a bag that cost more than any other bag on the market to be considered as a good bag, the concept of the bag was a great idea but the usability fell far short; in my opinion it's ridiculas to spend money like that and have a higher fail rate, I don't care about the weight even though this is a weight weenies forum there has to be some logic concerning when is something too light vs reliability. It's also why I won't buy shoes with a boa system because of the fail rate, I don't see why I have to buy parts ever so often for a shoe when simple laces or velcro straps work just fine.

Yeah I know, I'm weird for thinking things should work correctly and last.
Honestly, while yes, the Boa broke on me, I still feel that the Silca seat roll has been the best saddle bag I've owned. To Silca's credit, they did replace it for me pretty quick, no questions asked, I don't think they even ask for a receipt. They just asked me to send back the failed on after I received the replacment. The replacement has held up extremely well through well over 10,000 KM of road, gravel and singletrack.

I've had zippered bags from several brands that have faired much worse over much shorter periods. Nothing I've ever had that secured to the seat rails with velcro has held up this well and any with straps and plastic clips have loosened on the bike where the Boa has held tight. Yes, the elastic strap is crap, but it probably doesn't even need to be on the thing to begin with.
Everyone has different experiences, but all I've used for 40 years is zippered bags and never had a zipper fail, corners of the fabric bag would wear out but never the zipper. I have had all sorts of brands of bags and so far the longest lasting one has been the Topeak Aero Wedge, and the one that is just starting to wear in one of the corners is 6 years old or just over 8,000 miles, but it's still useable, but again failure of the other bags were not zipper related.

Not sure how long that really cheap BV bag I bought will last, but it looks to be the exact same construction materials as the Topeak including the zipper, but time will tell on that one and I just got last year so I have to wait and see.

One irritant that I've had with bags is some of them have a stretch fabric band that's intended to hold a mini pump, and even without ever using it after about 3 years the band is sagging because all the stretch is gone, so I end up cutting those straps off when they sag. That's why I don't like stretchy fabric bands, and I've seen these sort of bands in other products fail all the time; I think, not sure though, that the bands don't like long exposure to weather.

I bought a roll up tool bag for my bicycle tools that had a stretchy band with velcro and that band lasted about 5 years but it was a lot more stout then those I've seen on bicycle seat bags, that roll up tool bag was stored in the garage, so maybe the fluctuating temperature in the garage was it's demise? And that tool bag was made of some sort of rubber to keep water from getting to the tools, and the rubber is all cracked now after just 5 years. Prior to that bag I had a water resistant canvas one and it wore out in about 8 or 9 years. I purchased a small plastic Dewalt tool box with metal clamps that I now use to put my cycling tools into, that box won't ever break...well at least not for a very long time.

by Weenie

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

froze wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Everyone has different experiences, but all I've used for 40 years is zippered bags and never had a zipper fail, corners of the fabric bag would wear out but never the zipper. I have had all sorts of brands of bags and so far the longest lasting one has been the Topeak Aero Wedge, and the one that is just starting to wear in one of the corners is 6 years old or just over 8,000 miles, but it's still useable, but again failure of the other bags were not zipper related.

Not sure how long that really cheap BV bag I bought will last, but it looks to be the exact same construction materials as the Topeak including the zipper, but time will tell on that one and I just got last year so I have to wait and see.

One irritant that I've had with bags is some of them have a stretch fabric band that's intended to hold a mini pump, and even without ever using it after about 3 years the band is sagging because all the stretch is gone, so I end up cutting those straps off when they sag. That's why I don't like stretchy fabric bands, and I've seen these sort of bands in other products fail all the time; I think, not sure though, that the bands don't like long exposure to weather.

I bought a roll up tool bag for my bicycle tools that had a stretchy band with velcro and that band lasted about 5 years but it was a lot more stout then those I've seen on bicycle seat bags, that roll up tool bag was stored in the garage, so maybe the fluctuating temperature in the garage was it's demise? And that tool bag was made of some sort of rubber to keep water from getting to the tools, and the rubber is all cracked now after just 5 years. Prior to that bag I had a water resistant canvas one and it wore out in about 8 or 9 years. I purchased a small plastic Dewalt tool box with metal clamps that I now use to put my cycling tools into, that box won't ever break...well at least not for a very long time.
You've had better luck than me. The Topeak Aero Wedge was the one that I had that the straps wouldn't stay tight. They had a clip on version at one point as well and the clip ripped out of the top of the bag mid ride. I had a velcro'd strap one that the strapped ripped off the top of the bag mid ride, another that the seat tube strap ripped off, but I don't recall the brands I think the latter was a Timbuk2. None of those made it more than a year and a half, I think at one point I went through 2 or 3 in a year.

I bought a seat roll primo almost 3 years and over 22,000 miles ago. I still have bought only one. I had a Boa that possibly broke a tooth or two that was replaced at no cost to me.

To each their own, but I just know that I'm pretty hard on gear and it holds more securely, is more water resistant, and has been more durable than anything else I've found to this point.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

froze

by froze

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:18 pm
froze wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:23 pm

You've had better luck than me. The Topeak Aero Wedge was the one that I had that the straps wouldn't stay tight. They had a clip on version at one point as well and the clip ripped out of the top of the bag mid ride. I had a velcro'd strap one that the strapped ripped off the top of the bag mid ride, another that the seat tube strap ripped off, but I don't recall the brands I think the latter was a Timbuk2. None of those made it more than a year and a half, I think at one point I went through 2 or 3 in a year.

I bought a seat roll primo almost 3 years and over 22,000 miles ago. I still have bought only one. I had a Boa that possibly broke a tooth or two that was replaced at no cost to me.

To each their own, but I just know that I'm pretty hard on gear and it holds more securely, is more water resistant, and has been more durable than anything else I've found to this point.
All I use is the strap mounted bags, I'm not even sure how the heck you tore off straps, I've never knew anyone that has happened to, none of the bags I've ever owned in over 40 years, regardless of brand or cost, even remotely looked like the straps were failing, my fail points came at the corners of the bags were I assume where rubbing occurs while riding. And I never had a bag, regardless of brand or cost, that I couldn't secure the bag. I never used the clip mount that Topeak had because it looked cumbersome to me so I can't comment on the durability of that system, I also never knew anyone who had one of those type. The only other fail points I had on bags was the stretchy material either used to hold a mini pump, or on the inside some have a stretchy net area like the Topeak has, but because it's inside the bag and not outside it tends to last a longer time, but that net area I could care less about the stretchy thing holding up. One area I did have an issue with a different brand of bag was the tail light strap, after about two years of use that strap started to sag, not sure why since it wasn't a stretchy band, but when that happened I couldn't make the light point straight back any more, it pointed to the ground instead.

Because of this discussion I went and looked at my older Topeak closely and there are no signs of the strap beginning to fail, the wear point on that one is on the seam about an inch from the seatpost strap; and I looked at my wife's cheap generic bike shop $8 bag I got in in 2013 when I bought her bike shows no signs of the strap failing, or the bag itself, and that strap, because it's so small, is strapped very tightly around the seat rails, but she doesn't ride much either.

I don't believe my experiences are remote, I've had bags for over 40 years and I've known a lot of people who had bags and I never saw or heard about a zipper failing or the straps that hold the bag to the seat failing, all the failures I've seen were simply the fabric was wearing out in spots due to rubbing something over a long time. So I don't think my experiences are rare, in fact I think they're quite common, and I think what you are experiencing is more on the uncommon side; heck I can't recall ever hearing anyone complain about their bag no matter the brand!

So I thought another forum discussion was in order, in fact it seems that most issues people discuss about their bags is the bag rubbing on their shorts causing wear on the shorts, I don't have that issue but evidently it's happening, so when I googled: bicycle seat bag wear problems or reliability issues all I can find is bags rubbing shorts.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling ... tions.html

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/begin ... 51228.html

Try a search yourself, maybe you'll find something I didn't, but all I could find was problems with the bag rubbing on shorts and causing wear on the shorts. I kind of think based on my experiences that saddle bags by themselves simply don't have many issues.

bilwit

by bilwit

I use this currently

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/barri ... e-seat-bag

45g, relativey inexpensive, fits a tube, x2 CO2, x2 tire levers, coin battery, flat multitool, and I can stuff a small rear+front light in there if need be