Tarmac S-Works SL6 rim brake + etap 11 speed - Mistake?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been thinking about an SL6. I found a good deal on a used rim brake SL6 in a color I love. The build is top tier (etap red 11 speed). The bike is mint - 500 miles - and about 60% of original retail. It's a pretty good deal IMO though not an insane deal. It is in my favorite color (rare) though and is mint / like new.

Anyway, is it a mistake to buy a rim brake Tarmac with a discontinued 11 speed groupset? I'm buying into two older technologies with this bike.

I don't mean this to be a rim vs. disc religious thrash. I'm agnostic. I could go either way. With rim brake, my existing wheels would fit this bike.

I guess I could look at it from the point of view that a new etap 12 Tarmac costs $11K. It's hard to go wrong at half that price.

by Weenie

Etienne

by Etienne

From a strictly riding perspective, I am pretty sure the difference with the last technologies will be super marginal at best.

From a buyer / seller perspective, and if you plan to resell in a few months, this bike will probably be one among so many rim brakes super bikes for sale ... then the price relatively low, but you know that because that's why you had a bargain on this bike.

From a maintenance perspective, unless you plan to stay with the same group for more than 10 years, I'd say no problems.

So no, don't worry too much and enjoy this super bike :!:

ichobi

by ichobi

This is the exact bike I have.
It's WAY lighter than 12 speed disc.

Less complicated. Travel easier. Lighter wheels. I'd say it rides more fun and a bit livelier than the tarmac disc. Etap 11 works flawlessly. Spare parts are cheaper. Shifting is a little more finicky at the front as you need proper adjustment but the etap 12 apart from more precise front shifting is not inherently better. You certainly won't be needing more gears. After instlalation, etap 11 is as worry free as it gets.

I would say you are getting one heck of a deal. Don't think about resale value though it will tank just like any annual tech equipments. Nevertheless the SL6 is one of the best riding bike this generation. If you value light weight and lively characteristics, I doubt any new disc bikes would compare.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ichobi on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

LewisK

by LewisK

This ⬆️

Not sure how much you travel but rim brakes are far more easy from that point of view! You’ll still be able to get spares/replacements in years to come. It sounds like a killer deal!

C36

by C36

I tried both versions (rim and disc) and prefere the rim frame behaviour, so unless your practice require discs I would say it’s a better option.

For the group set the you will always be able to upgrade if wanted to. But I can’t say the latest generation of group sets (shimano and red) really represent a real change...

With the money saved you can really have few nice upgrades that would make the bike unique (eeBrakes or Darimo seat post) or more to you taste (saddle, handlebar).

I would be in your shoes I would take this one over other options.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks for the comments. I agree with all of you. 11 speed / rim can be ridden for years and years. I didn't buy it this time around. And the seller raised the price (ebay) by 30% after the weekend! The guy really thinks he has something special that nobody is buying.

I'd love to get the frameset at even a fair price but when I looked at the going rate of the used etap group and used zipp bars/stem the frame started looking really expensive. I could buy a new S-Works frame with a different paint job for less.

TLN

by TLN

I'd have more thoughts about 11sp vs 12sp if it was disc frame. However with 11sp it's pretty easy descision. All parts are standart and will be easy to get in the future.

oldturd

by oldturd

C36 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am
I tried both versions (rim and disc) and prefere the rim frame behaviour, so unless your practice require discs I would say it’s a better option.
Genuinely interested on your thoughts on the differences of their behaviour? I wouldn't expect them to be different but I also have tried either!

C36

by C36

oldturd wrote:
C36 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am
Genuinely interested on your thoughts on the differences of their behaviour? I wouldn't expect them to be different but I also have tried either!
Indeed not easy to set up and having a friend owning few bike shops helps, but in two occasions I tested the very same bikes exchanging them half way with my colleague
(And swapping seatpost-saddles to preserve position). The first test was between 2 SSevo2 hm ultegra (bike that I know well since I own SSe2hm, the second between two tarmac Sl6 also in ultegra.

In both cases I would say the rim brake bikes were more “crispy”, more responsive to rhythms changes like acceleration or sprinting. In terms of handling I recall more differences between the two SS than between the two Tarmacs
Now the tarmac disc was really good and if I was seeing any need for discs I would consider it... but for now really preferred the rim version.

I also had an aborted test with two madone (other bike crashed before swapping them Image ).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

calleking

by calleking

I was in exactly the same position a year ago. Went for a Sagan Superstar SL6 with DA DI2 while the previous owner was going for a new Venge similar components. I got the bike for 50% of the original value after 1 year. Crazy. The SL6 you are looking at is on the same level. Direct-Mount brakes, light, comfortable, semi-aero, easy to work on and easy to travel with. I will keep this bike for quite some time as it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA Di2
2016 Focus Mares CX
2016 Grand Canyon AL 8.0

Retired: 2014 Crux Elite, 2017 Cannondale Slate Ultegra, 2016 Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 DI2

spartan

by spartan

sram axs 12 speed all come with a useless 10t. so the 'old' 11 speed is lighter , and better looking. sram f*** it up. once new dura-ace is release next year i see a version2.0 axs coming designed for the pro tour.
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:11 am
I've been thinking about an SL6. I found a good deal on a used rim brake SL6 in a color I love. The build is top tier (etap red 11 speed). The bike is mint - 500 miles - and about 60% of original retail. It's a pretty good deal IMO though not an insane deal. It is in my favorite color (rare) though and is mint / like new.

Anyway, is it a mistake to buy a rim brake Tarmac with a discontinued 11 speed groupset? I'm buying into two older technologies with this bike.

I don't mean this to be a rim vs. disc religious thrash. I'm agnostic. I could go either way. With rim brake, my existing wheels would fit this bike.

I guess I could look at it from the point of view that a new etap 12 Tarmac costs $11K. It's hard to go wrong at half that price.

No. U did not made a mistake... Rim brakes works just perfect, in same time lighter, more lively ride... And if 11sp discontinued groupset works properly and if u provide gearing ratio u like, then doesnt mattr if it's discountinued... Just for comparation, i stocked whole 11sp discountinued groupset as well (Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix) since i dont like new 12sp, and to have same groupset compatibility on all of my bikes...

Enjoy ur bike and put many km's on it....

AJS914

by AJS914

I didn't buy it yet. The seller wants quite a bit more than the market will bear thus he's been trying to sell it for a month with no luck.

I was thinking about it and I'd love to get the frame and put Campagnolo on it. This deal comes with $2000 worth of used parts I didn't particularly need or want. Though, maybe I'd love eTap after I got it? Anyway, when I subtract the $2000 from the total price, the frame is quite expensive. It is because the discontinued eTap 11 speed group is now heavily discounted so the used parts are worth a lot less.

For example, I could get a different S-Works Tarmac disc frameset plus a Record 12 speed disc groupset for less money. Or, a new S-Works Tarmac in a different color and Chorus 12 for the same money. So, lots of options. I'm going to keep looking for now. The best thing would be to find the right rim brake Tarmac and then put the Campagnolo I already have on it. Then I can use all of my wheels.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 am
I didn't buy it yet. The seller wants quite a bit more than the market will bear thus he's been trying to sell it for a month with no luck.

I was thinking about it and I'd love to get the frame and put Campagnolo on it. This deal comes with $2000 worth of used parts I didn't particularly need or want. Though, maybe I'd love eTap after I got it? Anyway, when I subtract the $2000 from the total price, the frame is quite expensive. It is because the discontinued eTap 11 speed group is now heavily discounted so the used parts are worth a lot less.

For example, I could get a different S-Works Tarmac disc frameset plus a Record 12 speed disc groupset for less money. Or, a new S-Works Tarmac in a different color and Chorus 12 for the same money. So, lots of options. I'm going to keep looking for now. The best thing would be to find the right rim brake Tarmac and then put the Campagnolo I already have on it. Then I can use all of my wheels.

The option with Rim Brake version (brand new) and to use Campy u have (especially if its 11sp lighter/better looking), and to use ur wheelset sound the best... Go for it :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:56 am
sram axs 12 speed all come with a useless 10t. so the 'old' 11 speed is lighter , and better looking. sram f*** it up. once new dura-ace is release next year i see a version2.0 axs coming designed for the pro tour.

Just as Campagnolo hints at going 10t...

by Weenie