Rapha to scale back discounting as sales fall & losses mount up.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

uncle-gee wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:23 pm
you obviously have not done enough "research" on Rapha

I mean I like Rapha.. I'm in RCC and all... but one has to look at an old parody site... see if you can find it on the net since you need to hone search skills.. :thumbup: The parody site still makes me laugh... not as much as faces of aru... but still
Omg there is! I didn't bother searching before writting the previous post. Just did. :lol:
All my apologies RCC member :wink:
ah... JVA website is dead... you might be able to find some screen captures... but it was a Rapha Spoof site that was done well.

by Weenie

Wookski

by Wookski

romanmoser wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:59 pm
assos jerseys suck tough
even more for the price asked, not aero , loot of wringles
So much bunching, loot of wrinkles :lol: Image

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

People do realize the Wal-Mart family are actually quite passionate about cycling right?

https://www.bikemag.com/features/profiles/walton/

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2019/ ... ke-trails/

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:55 am
People do realize the Wal-Mart family are actually quite passionate about cycling right?

Plus their £200m investment represents ~2% of their net worth? I'm sure they're not losing sleep over it.

IchDien

by IchDien

uncle-gee wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:08 pm
I'm actually surprised they didn't partner with Rocket Espresso to release a Rapha espresso machine.
They did actually partner with a coffee machine maker to offer a coffee machine several years ago IIRC!

Konsi

by Konsi

uncle-gee wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:08 pm
True that Assos is tight on the shoulders. Assos clothing is made to be appreciated while in cycling position, not while in drinking coffee position. :D

No reproach here. To each cyclist its own preference. :thumbup:
I think they might secretly try to avoid that their clothes are used in violations of Rule #42. If you swim on a regular basis (or in my case, swim, and climb), you won't fit in ...

5DII

by 5DII

Wookski wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:08 am
Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:55 am

Plus their £200m investment represents ~2% of their net worth? I'm sure they're not losing sleep over it.
2% of your networth is not in insignificant investment...

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Wookski wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 am
romanmoser wrote:
assos jerseys suck tough

I guess you are more of a '' hobbit '' kind of body :D
The sleeves and legs are not long enough for my prey manta body man

Wookski

by Wookski

romanmoser wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm
Wookski wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 am
romanmoser wrote:
assos jerseys suck tough

I guess you are more of a '' hobbit '' kind of body :D
The sleeves and legs are not long enough for my prey manta body man
Haha I'm not short and fat you a$$hole :lol:

Zitter

by Zitter

I've yet to find a better technical and minimalist jersey than the Assos Cento evo8. Shame they're discontinuing it but I guess that means they have a new version coming soon

Tried Velocio, Q36.5, Castelli and many more. Never liked Rapha styling so I can't compare to that and seeing my buddy's stuff doesn't inspire me.

On Rapha, of course it makes sense if you discount predictably people will buy predictably. And cluttering your lineup with tons of variants doesn't help with sell through so you have to blow them out to make room for the new stuff.

DOUG

by DOUG

Am I allowed to like Rapha Aero jerseys and bib shorts because they fit me well, are comfortable, durable and stylish? Or should I burn them all now and buy Assos gear that doesn't fit me well at all and looks like it was designed in MS Paint circa 2003?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mentok

by mentok

Na, not permitted DOUG. Rapha has jumped the shark so you have to move on. I look at the alternatives posted up here (de Marchi, Assos, Santini, Giordana) and I see nothing that's more stylish or cheaper than the Rapha stuff I've got that is still kicking after a few seasons and fits well. Not saying Rapha is the pinnacle of style but most of their stuff looks pretty good. So why would I take a punt on a new brand when I know I can order a set of Rapha core bibs and know they will fit perfectly and last me 50 rides a year for a couple of seasons without missing a step?

Seriously though, is there anywhere else that I can get high quality stuff and not pay AU$300+ for a bib and a jersey?

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

DOUG wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 pm
Am I allowed to like Rapha Aero jerseys and bib shorts because they fit me well, are comfortable, durable and stylish? Or should I burn them all now and buy Assos gear that doesn't fit me well at all and looks like it was designed in MS Paint circa 2003?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sounds like you are suited to Rapha.

DOUG

by DOUG

I am. Tall (ish) and skinny so I sometimes need to hunt around to get a jersey/bib that fits snuggly without being too short. Plus when I order online it arrives on my doorstep 2 days later and if its damaged in a crash they'll fix it for free. A couple of years ago I had a really bad crash and tore up my bibs and jersey (and my knee). My wife sent them off while I was sitting in hospital waiting to be stitched up and a week after I got home they were back in my wardrobe. I still have them and they're still just as good as anything i have bought since.
Last edited by DOUG on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

DOUG

by DOUG

mentok wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:20 am
Na, not permitted DOUG. Rapha has jumped the shark so you have to move on. I look at the alternatives posted up here (de Marchi, Assos, Santini, Giordana) and I see nothing that's more stylish or cheaper than the Rapha stuff I've got that is still kicking after a few seasons and fits well. Not saying Rapha is the pinnacle of style but most of their stuff looks pretty good. So why would I take a punt on a new brand when I know I can order a set of Rapha core bibs and know they will fit perfectly and last me 50 rides a year for a couple of seasons without missing a step?

Seriously though, is there anywhere else that I can get high quality stuff and not pay AU$300+ for a bib and a jersey?
Not quite sub $300 but Black Sheep TC19 Jersey + Bib combo is about $340. Once they get some more bibs in stock in my size Im thinking I'll buy a set to see how they go.