Rapha to scale back discounting as sales fall & losses mount up.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

Konsi wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:34 pm
kgt wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:00 pm
I really never understood why people were paying so much for Rapha the moment they could buy better clothes from Assos at the same price or equally good clothes from Santini or Giordana at much lower prices.
Rapha once introduced a minimalist, classy aesthetic that was looking fresh and cool but nowadays they have nothing to offer against the competition.
Because they make jerseys for a very different bodytype. I cannot get my shoulders into Assos or most italian brands, unless I go several sizes larger (and then they become loose everywhere else). Also, so far I was very lucky with the Rapha quality, still wearing jerseys from 2011 and 2012, which have gone through the laundry machine more than a hundred times. And they make bib shorts with pockets, which I personally love.
There is not just one 'italian' fit. Brands like Santini or Giordana or Alé offer cuts for almost every body type, from the sleek pro rider to the chubby amateur. Maybe you have not tried different fits.
I don't doubt that the quality of Rapha clothes is very good but you can find better quality (Assos) at the same price or similar quality for way less money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

assos jerseys suck tough
even more for the price asked, not aero , loot of wringles

welchy

by welchy

I find that Rapha fits me very well, with an athletic physique compared to normal Rapha fits better than most. Santini is a close match, Rapha bibs fit much better for bigger legs and tighter waist i've found.

I usually run XL in Rapha bibs and XL in Santini and L in Rapha jerseys and L in santini, so fit wise it's spot on.

The problem with Rapha around here are there are just much better options, Rapha seem to be Fred's first foray into bike kit when they move to bib shorts and they decide they want to be considered a cyclist. I mean this with no ill harm as I was very much a Fred going through this process.

The issue with Rapha for me is that the neon colours have not been timeless, the offerings from Santini and De Marchi are far better and they seem to have weirdly more exclusivity in the UK. Rapha for me is becoming like Castelli was 6 years ago. Saying that I just bought a Pro Team race cape from the archive store and its incredible - I like it as it isn't plastered in Rapha logos or a stupid sleeve stripe.

chorus88

by chorus88

welchy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:28 pm
I find that Rapha fits me very well, with an athletic physique compared to normal Rapha fits better than most. Santini is a close match, Rapha bibs fit much better for bigger legs and tighter waist i've found.

I usually run XL in Rapha bibs and XL in Santini and L in Rapha jerseys and L in santini, so fit wise it's spot on.

The problem with Rapha around here are there are just much better options, Rapha seem to be Fred's first foray into bike kit when they move to bib shorts and they decide they want to be considered a cyclist. I mean this with no ill harm as I was very much a Fred going through this process.

The issue with Rapha for me is that the neon colours have not been timeless, the offerings from Santini and De Marchi are far better and they seem to have weirdly more exclusivity in the UK. Rapha for me is becoming like Castelli was 6 years ago. Saying that I just bought a Pro Team race cape from the archive store and its incredible - I like it as it isn't plastered in Rapha logos or a stupid sleeve stripe.
What's so INCREDIBLE about a Pro Team race cape?
Windproof, Waterproof, Great Insulation, Breathability, Weight, Reflective trim, Taped seams? :noidea:
Colour! LOL
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

chorus88 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 am
welchy wrote:

Windproof, Waterproof, Great Insulation, Breathability, Weight, Reflective trim, Taped seams? :noidea:
Colour! LOL
have you tried one...

and yes since I have the RCC version,..yeah the colorway is awesome... incredible might be a strong word for any piece of cycling clothing...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

welchy

by welchy

chorus88 wrote:
welchy wrote:

Colour! LOL
Come again? Yes as mentioned - it's great. The rest of their range, also good. Just too common out there now and the lumo colours irritate me.

Ahhh, I'm really chuffed with it. I would say best but if cycle clothing I've ever bought and I say that begrudgingly with it being Rapha. I bought a Santini waterproof and the quality was remarkably poor in comparison, but the price point was £150 not £280 so it's not comparable. I was liking the look of the Gore cycling gear and the Sportful waterproof but at £140 on sale for the Rapha one in black I was pretty happy with it.

chorus88

by chorus88

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:16 am
chorus88 wrote:
welchy wrote:

Colour! LOL
have you tried one...

and yes since I have the RCC version,..yeah the colorway is awesome... incredible might be a strong word for any piece of cycling clothing...
No...I haven't tried one on.
I was considering a Castelli Idro Pro2 from MerlinUK when the jacket was on sale for $327CAD/195GBP/$250USD.
But all sizes SOLD OUT!

mr_tim

by mr_tim

welchy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 am
.... but at £140 on sale for the Rapha one in black I was pretty happy with it.
Ironic you mention that ...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

All business should focus on profit not sales volume. Discount to get rid of stock not increase sales. Sell of stock cheap once it has already made money.

Retail is to driven by discounting. Black friday is all about that as a way of increasing sales but not profit .profit pays the bills and wages.

Wookski

by Wookski

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 am
All business should focus on profit not sales volume. Discount to get rid of stock not increase sales. Sell of stock cheap once it has already made money.

Retail is to driven by discounting. Black friday is all about that as a way of increasing sales but not profit .profit pays the bills and wages.
Rapha instead focussed on Simon Mottram's equity valuation. Discounting and churning out "clubhouses" was all an effort to demonstrate spectacular revenue growth. Unfortunately now the new owners have had to tip in more cash for Rapha to avoid a technical default on their debt. Turning off the discounting drug will be an interesting exercise in brand loyalty- curious to see what happens next.

IchDien

by IchDien

welchy wrote:
Rapha for me is becoming like Castelli was 6 years ago.
?

chorus88

by chorus88

IchDien wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:48 pm
welchy wrote:
Rapha for me is becoming like Castelli was 6 years ago.
?
:noidea:

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

Walmart bought Rapha? Wow. Won't have to order online just to try anymore.

In so many years, Rapha stuff should appear on the shelves at the Winners when unsold at Walmart then?

Looking at Rapha website and reading the reviews online, I always thought Rapha was putting too much money in advertisement and not enough in the actual clothing.
The distinctive atmosphere of their website, the pictures, the texts, the messages they put on their clothing etc... it may be for the kind: "once was a pro, now I just ride hard and drink coffee". I'm actually surprised they didn't partner with Rocket Espresso to release a Rapha espresso machine.

Buying Rapha is definetaly more directed toward buying a lifestyle rather than a technical piece of equipment.
Many are praising the good fitting of their clothing. Maybe Rapha should keep that in mind, put less money in the "being cool" factor, and use higher quality fabrics.

True that Assos is tight on the shoulders. Assos clothing is made to be appreciated while in cycling position, not while in drinking coffee position. :D

No reproach here. To each cyclist its own preference. :thumbup:
Last edited by uncle-gee on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

uncle-gee wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:08 pm
". I'm actually surprised they didn't partner with Rocket Espresso to release a Rapha espresso machine.

you obviously have not done enough "research" on Rapha

I mean I like Rapha.. I'm in RCC and all... but one has to look at an old parody site... see if you can find it on the net since you need to hone search skills.. :thumbup: The parody site still makes me laugh... not as much as faces of aru... but still
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

you obviously have not done enough "research" on Rapha

I mean I like Rapha.. I'm in RCC and all... but one has to look at an old parody site... see if you can find it on the net since you need to hone search skills.. :thumbup: The parody site still makes me laugh... not as much as faces of aru... but still
Omg there is! I didn't bother searching before writting the previous post. Just did. :lol:
All my apologies RCC member :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com