Disc brakes brake fluid

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PeterLe

by PeterLe

Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody has considered to use water (destilled or tap) as a brake fluid?

Considering the temperatures of the brake pads I don't think it would reach boiling temperature.

Would you think it would work with Shimano as well as SRAM?
If not can you specify why?

If it works, could it bring cross compatibility between SRAM and Shimano?

Best regards,
Peter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I’m pretty sure you can get the brake fluid temp above 100 degrees C without much difficulty, even on a bike. Mineral oil boiling point is around 260 C, just as a point of reference.

Besides that, water will rust the components.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Both Mineral Oil and DOT 4 brake fluid have a lower freezing point as well (DOT4 is -53ºF). Water would additionally have lower usability in cold weather environments.

Wouldn't afect me, I don't ride when it's freezing, but that's mostly because people here in Texas can't figure out how to turn off their sprinkler systems when we get freeze warnings.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Um, nope.

Why would, it's not like the proper stuff designed for the job is expensive, deadly or heavy

spud

by spud

water wouldn't lubricate any of the moving parts and would rust any steel parts (check valves etc). Also has high surface tension so bleeding would be a bitch. In other words, there are multiple reasons why no vehicle mfg uses water as a hydraulic brake fluid.