Dura-Ace 9000 Chainrings?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

Is anyone on the forum aware of where i can locate Dura-Ace 9000 chain rings online? in North America (or anywhere else with worldwide shipping)

My 50t/34 compact ones are TOAST. In particular.. the 50t is done for. And i'm actually finding it actually impossible to find somewhere stocking them. I even thought, "screw it.. i'll just go mid-compant and get a 52/36 set up"... but i couldnt find anyone stocking those either. Webstores i've found here in the states have them on backorder until Janury or Febuary of next year. Any leads would be appreciated, thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velolive

by velolive

JohnnyHanel wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:41 am
Is anyone on the forum aware of where i can locate Dura-Ace 9000 chain rings online? in North America (or anywhere else with worldwide shipping)

My 50t/34 compact ones are TOAST. In particular.. the 50t is done for. And i'm actually finding it actually impossible to find somewhere stocking them. I even thought, "screw it.. i'll just go mid-compant and get a 52/36 set up"... but i couldnt find anyone stocking those either. Webstores i've found here in the states have them on backorder until Janury or Febuary of next year. Any leads would be appreciated, thanks
If you don't mind waiting about 2 weeks, order it from China
DA9000 chainrings link
DA6800 (compatible, no good looking but ~130 usd cheaper) link

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

velolive wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 am
JohnnyHanel wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:41 am

If you don't mind waiting about 2 weeks, order it from China
DA9000 chainrings link
DA6800 (compatible, no good looking but ~130 usd cheaper) link
Thanks for the aliexpress tip. i never thought to look there. I AM a little sketched to buy from that seller tho because the only review on that item says that it was never shipped haha. but.. if i dont find anything else.. i may have to get that a try. because 2 weeks, is not bad. compared to NEXT YEAR January/February. Thats too long. Almost seems like Shimano are purposely keeping them out of stores, to push their 9100 cranks. But thats just my little conspiract theory lol. Thanks again

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

JohnnyHanel wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:06 pm
Almost seems like Shimano are purposely keeping them out of stores, to push their 9100 cranks. But thats just my little conspiract theory lol. Thanks again
I mean.. its been 3 years, you don't expect Shimano to continue selling old product forever, do you? and don't get me wrong, I'm a DA9000 user. I have it on 3 bikes, but I expect that my next bike will be 9100.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:33 pm
JohnnyHanel wrote:
Almost seems like Shimano are purposely keeping them out of stores, to push their 9100 cranks. But thats just my little conspiract theory lol. Thanks again
I mean.. its been 3 years, you don't expect Shimano to continue selling old product forever, do you? and don't get me wrong, I'm a DA9000 user. I have it on 3 bikes, but I expect that my next bike will be 9100.
I just went through this same scenario and opted to switch over to AbsoluteBlack rings (52T), and braved the 15g weight penalty. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait the amount of time needed for the rings to get back into stock at either of my LBS's (I was quoted December). I would expect Shimano to continue to support their legacy products for a reasonable amount of time afterward, just like auto manufacturers do. This is especially the case for common wear items, like chains, chainrings and cassettes (chains and cassettes are easily upgradable to 9100, but not rings).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bit off topic here, but it’s kind of relevant in today’s throwaway product life mentality. 3 years doesn’t seem like that long a time to keep parts availability past the date the actual product was produced to me. Especially for consumables like chainrings etc. I’m not sure if there is a standard length of time parts are continued to be produced for products that are discontinued, or whether they just produce a enough of a stockpile to meet projected demand and warranty claims over the next however many years. But one things for sure, with all these proprietary integrated bike models coming out these days, which may only last a model year or two, finding parts fro them down the road is surely going to become an issue.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's why the aftermarket is stepping up. AbsoluteBlack has round rings, like I'm used to (sorry, not into oval). I bought them through Competitive and had them at my door within 48 hours of ordering. Yeah, I took a weight penalty, and it doesn't look OEM, but it does the job I need it to do.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Aftermarket "anything" for a proprietary part on a model that is only around for one or two years, probably isn't worth even doing. There has to be enough of a market to even warrant a secondary aftermarket. Not sure that will exist for some of these highly proprietary parts (not talking about Shimano chainrings here, just the more highly proprietary parts). Especially those little fitment items that you either lose, or break, then become impossible to find.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:33 pm
JohnnyHanel wrote:
I do actually have full 9100 EXCEPT for my cranks. I'm pretty invested in the 9000 cranks because i have a crankarm based powermeter with them. AND i'm also not a fan of the look of the 9100 cranks haha. Obvously not that important. But to your question.. i don't see why they wouldnt want money off those you'd prefer not to upgrade?? i can only imagine the massive profit they make selling the chainrings or 150-200 dollars. so... seems logical to me to keep selling them.

simoncx

by simoncx

[[/quote]

I do actually have full 9100 EXCEPT for my cranks. I'm pretty invested in the 9000 cranks because i have a crankarm based powermeter with them. AND i'm also not a fan of the look of the 9100 cranks haha. Obvously not that important. But to your question.. i don't see why they wouldnt want money off those you'd prefer not to upgrade?? i can only imagine the massive profit they make selling the chainrings or 150-200 dollars. so... seems logical to me to keep selling them.
[/quote]

I have a set of new 50/34t on ebay if your still looking.

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

simoncx wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:35 am
[
[/quote]

I have a set of new 50/34t on ebay if your still looking.
[/quote]

I actually ended up buying from aliexpress link that first person linked me. but thank you. fingers crossed i actually get my order lol

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I had to buy a new DA9000 chainring recently after I ran over a raccoon and bent my big ring. There was a guy selling some new ones on eBay and I picked up a 54t for 90$. Got it quick and replaced my bent 53t.

Anyways, at the time I bought mine (a few months ago) there seemed to be a few options on eBay. The thing I like about eBay versus Aliexpress, is I can return the item if I think it's a fake, or something else happens. It might be more difficult with Aliexpress and shipping back to China. I haven't had an issue with them yet, so I don't know how that would go down.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

There are two french brands who sell 9000 chainrings (made in France), Specialite TA, round or oval with a bolt kit:
https://specialites-ta.com/39-double
https://specialites-ta.com/kits-de-cach ... 00574.html

And Stronglight:
http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/ ... _catalogue

Threads are directly on the chainrings, no breakage can happen like on DA:
Picture from this thread: https://veloptimal.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=480

I bought yesterday a Specialite TA X110 for 46€. The normal price is around 65. 70 or 80 for the Stronglight.
And this two brands sell a inner 33t.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

Any idea what the French chainrings weigh compared to the originals?
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

backdoor

by backdoor

Back in February of this year Cyclingtips
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/02/shimano ... cancelled/

reported that the fire at the Shimano factory in 2018 had slowed down production. It seems that after that fire they no longer produced any of the older parts and have only been focused on new products specifically GRX and XTR 12sp.

I am sure they have 12sp road (or 14) in the works and all efforts are full speed ahead on new products.

Aftermarket is probably your best bet for now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg