Cycling at Princeton?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

I will be at Princeton University for this term and I'd like to make a few short rides around Princeton if possible. I already have this used 26" mtb to commute but it weights like 40lbs. and has only 4 gears functioning.

The only place offering bike rentals is Jay's cycles as far as I know. They rent Trek road bikes for $75 the day (not cheap at all if you ask me). Any other options and/or suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Ask calnago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! I’m on the other side of the country. Only been to Princeton once. Did a covered bridge ride tour in New Jersey, kinda fun. Perfect season for that. Can’t believe you came all the way over here for an entire school term (or maybe you mean something else by “term”?, a few days?), and didn’t bring your own bike. $75 does not seem out of line for a bike rental for a day in a major city area. At least you won’t have to ride your twitchy TIME.
Oh, btw, looks like your Roadmaster could use a bit of lube in the chain. Nice basket though.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Hey, look on the bright side. At least it doesn't have disc brakes right? It's also not aero. If it was made in Europe you would basically be in love with it.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Calnago wrote:Ha! I’m on the other side of the country. Only been to Princeton once. Did a covered bridge ride tour in New Jersey, kinda fun. Perfect season for that. Can’t believe you came all the way over here for an entire school term (or maybe you mean something else by “term”?, a few days?), and didn’t bring your own bike. $75 does not seem out of line for a bike rental for a day in a major city area. At least you won’t have to ride your twitchy TIME. Image
Oh, btw, looks like your Roadmaster could use a bit of lube in the chain. Nice basket though.
LoL you make my day ( night in Greece )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Welcome, I live nearby, and my buddy is the coach of the Princeton Cycling team.

You mentioned you'll be here for this "term", but how long will you actually be on campus?

You might be better off buying a cheaper bike and selling it when you leave.

kode54

by kode54

Tons of places to ride just a short distance from Princeton. Sour lands is great with a nice climb on Zion. Takes you close to Hopewell where there’s a great breakfast stop, Brick Farm.

Also, going north, you can hit Millstone and Canal Road.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

That Roadmaster looks like it has some beefy tires. You can probably ride that on the tow path either on the Delaware water gap or alongside the Raritan River way where’s there’s no traffic.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kgt

by kgt

@Matt28NJ
I arrived on September 1st and I will be on campus during the fall term (until mid December). Buying a cheap bike and selling it before I leave seems like a better idea. I really don't want to pay 400-500 bucks in order to rent a bike for a few rides.
@ kode54
Yes, I could ride my Roadmaster around but this would not be that fun.

Thank you both anyway.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

You could also try Kopp’s Cycles to see if they have any used road bikes for sale. The good news is that the weather doesn’t turn bad until Jan/Feb.

nismosr

by nismosr

kode54 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:52 pm
Tons of places to ride just a short distance from Princeton. Sour lands is great with a nice climb on Zion. Takes you close to Hopewell where there’s a great breakfast stop, Brick Farm.

Also, going north, you can hit Millstone and Canal Road.

oh yes .. the good ol Zion Rd ouch ! .. I second Brick Farm Market .. and my group rides off princeton to New Hope Pa. and back on a nice weather.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

nismosr

by nismosr

btw I'll rent you my Fat Bike for $100 a month but make sure it never get stolen ... or you'll owe me $1200 lol
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Might be worth it to rent from a private individual or shop mechanic. A decent road bike rental is going to be $100/day and winter is coming, so you'd probably want a CX or XC bike. Anyway, hit up the clubs or big group ride leaders or craigslist https://cnj.craigslist.org/search/bia?m ... price=3000 . You'll probably need to leave some sort or deposit - maybe use Paypal to send XXX cash.

You're going to be by Manhattan at somepoint. I think the Rapha Club is $30/day max 3days. Plus, you can do a Central Park ride. Maybe you an re-up the rental via the phone. $200+30/day and 2x3hr train rides.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Nismosr has already metnioned some of the great riding areas... I agree that you might be better off finding a decent used bike, maybe a Caad10 or Allez to use and then sell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Thank you all. Yes, buy something used and sell it makes sense.