Which bike brands are owned by corporations that love money more than bikes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Jugi

by Jugi

Lewn777 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:41 pm
-Carbon fiber is a strange material because of how it catastrophically fails. Imagine the Bianchi fork failure happened to someone in London, that rider could have easily ended up under a bus squished. If we look at automotive parts for cars and motorcycles they fail much less catastrophically and are much less likely to fail as most things are made of steel or alminium. A mountain bike or motorcycle suspension fork just won't fail in the same way. Therefore such a critical part made of such an exotic material that is so poorly inspected is almost a one-off in any industry and really manufacturers should do more than just to have or say they have good design and manufacture processes, IMO they need to produce data to prove each fork is safe and error free.
No. Carbon fiber is not an explosive compound and you’re still forgetting that freak accidents which occur in every 1:1 000 000 000 use cases do not bare any statistical relevance.

Go on a YouTube marathon and feast your eyes on 90’s MTBs being split in half when landing a table top jump awkwardly. No carbon fiber to be seen, yet the frames seem to fail catastrophically. How weird is that?

Carbon fiber doesn’t explode, tear or crack cleanly through the structure very easily. My opinion doesn’t enjoy any statistical relevance either, but I believe in most failures carbon fiber structures lose their stiffness first (when delamination happens). That should be easily distinguishable when the structure is load bearing, as extra movement, creaks and rattles present the issue before the structure collapses completely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Jugi wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:59 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
-Carbon fiber is a strange material because of how it catastrophically fails. Imagine the Bianchi fork failure happened to someone in London, that rider could have easily ended up under a bus squished. If we look at automotive parts for cars and motorcycles they fail much less catastrophically and are much less likely to fail as most things are made of steel or alminium. A mountain bike or motorcycle suspension fork just won't fail in the same way. Therefore such a critical part made of such an exotic material that is so poorly inspected is almost a one-off in any industry and really manufacturers should do more than just to have or say they have good design and manufacture processes, IMO they need to produce data to prove each fork is safe and error free.
No. Carbon fiber is not an explosive compound and you’re still forgetting that freak accidents which occur in every 1:1 000 000 000 use cases do not bare any statistical relevance.

Go on a YouTube marathon and feast your eyes on 90’s MTBs being split in half when landing a table top jump awkwardly. No carbon fiber to be seen, yet the frames seem to fail catastrophically. How weird is that?

Carbon fiber doesn’t explode, tear or crack cleanly through the structure very easily. My opinion doesn’t enjoy any statistical relevance either, but I believe in most failures carbon fiber structures lose their stiffness first (when delamination happens). That should be easily distinguishable when the structure is load bearing, as extra movement, creaks and rattles present the issue before the structure collapses completely.
To compare a 90's MTB's which was made out of soda-can quality aluminium alloy being jumped over and over again and forming stress fractures and a carbon fiber steerer collapsing when it goes over a small bump in the road and fails without warning is completely ridiculous. I don't need a marathon of 90's MTBs on YT, I was riding one then.

In the last four years I've had one carbon fibre fork fail on me, one seat stay junction and one seat post. My actual experince completely differs from your totally from your unsubstantiated opinion. The fork leg unzipped suddenly like a cheap pair of jeans over a road surface which had a slight bump, and the seat stay cracked because it took a hit from falling in a large pot hole. Zero warning, no creaks or visible giveaways. Only the seat post gave a warning of feeling odd.

If you want to win the internet by proving other people wrong and you right try coming in with some actual first hand personal experience, 2nd hand knowledge or data.

sethjs

by sethjs

Which brands did you have each of those 3 failures on? Curious.

TheRich

by TheRich

Wasn't a shim involved in the seat tube?

silvalis

by silvalis

Lewn777 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 pm

If you want to win the internet by proving other people wrong and you right try coming in with some actual first hand personal experience, 2nd hand knowledge or data.
This should read
"If you want to win the internet by proving other people wrong and you right try coming in here with anecdotal evidence.
Chasse patate

hlvd

by hlvd

Lewn777 wrote:
Jugi wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:

To compare a 90's MTB's which was made out of soda-can quality aluminium alloy being jumped over and over again and forming stress fractures and a carbon fiber steerer collapsing when it goes over a small bump in the road and fails without warning is completely ridiculous. I don't need a marathon of 90's MTBs on YT, I was riding one then.

In the last four years I've had one carbon fibre fork fail on me, one seat stay junction and one seat post. My actual experince completely differs from your totally from your unsubstantiated opinion. The fork leg unzipped suddenly like a cheap pair of jeans over a road surface which had a slight bump, and the seat stay cracked because it took a hit from falling in a large pot hole. Zero warning, no creaks or visible giveaways. Only the seat post gave a warning of feeling odd.

Could you tell us which brands those failures happened on, be interesting to hear, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

silvalis wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:07 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 pm

This should read
"If you want to win the internet by proving other people wrong and you right try coming in here with anecdotal evidence.
Personal first hand evidence vs nothing. Then personal first hand evidence wins.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

hlvd wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:41 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Jugi wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:

Could you tell us which brands those failures happened on, be interesting to hear, thanks.

Fork leg: Java
Seat stay bridge: Fuji SL
Seapost: Unbranded Chinese carbon post

spartan

by spartan

:D all those brands are 3rd rate . issue is more quality control at the factory vs design. buy garbage and lottery ticket
btw most threaded bb failures in the past occured because of wrong use of carbon in the aluminum bb area. btw Pinarello have always used threaded bb the last 10 years with no known failures.

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:00 am
hlvd wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:
Jugi wrote:

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

flying

by flying

spartan wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:11 pm
:D all those brands are 3rd rate . issue is more quality control at the factory vs design. buy garbage and lottery ticket
btw most threaded bb failures in the past occured because of wrong use of carbon in the aluminum bb area. btw Pinarello have always used threaded bb the last 10 years with no known failures.
Considering Fuji has been making bikes 53 years longer than Pinarello I would not call them 3rd rate :wink:

kgt

by kgt

+1
Certainly the same quality as anything from Cannondale or Specialized or Merida or...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

flying wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 pm
spartan wrote:
Considering Fuji has been making bikes 53 years longer than Pinarello I would not call them 3rd rate :wink:

It depends on time period. The Fuji you reference ceased to exist a long time ago. They went bankrupt. ASE/ASI bought their assets...and diluted the brand over decades, to the point where no IBD wanted to stock them and they were flooding the “omnichannel” with product. Of course they also went bankrupt in the fallout from Performance’s initial bankruptcy and now we really don’t know what’s next for the Fuji name.

There are multiple tiers in Chinese carbon manufacturing. There’s the top of the heap like Quest, Giant, Topkey, etc. Fuji’s manufacturing contracts exist in a tier just below that.

TheRich

by TheRich

Hi, I see you're arguing in good faith, that feature doesn't work here.

flying

by flying

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:22 am
flying wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 pm
spartan wrote:

It depends on time period. The Fuji you reference ceased to exist a long time ago.
Time Period..........Goes without saying & same holds true for exampled Pinarello which today is just a shell of its former Giovanni Pinarello self & what it exemplified even before it was sold to Catterton in 2016

Never the less I judge the bike as I see it for workmanship etc no matter what company makes it. :wink:

I was only refuting a claim that XYZ brands are 3rd rate & others are not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

spartan wrote:

Lewn777 wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Lewn777 wrote: To compare a 90's MTB's which was made out of soda-can quality aluminium alloy being jumped over and over again and forming stress fractures and a carbon fiber steerer collapsing when it goes over a small bump in the road and fails without warning is completely ridiculous. I don't need a marathon of 90's MTBs on YT, I was riding one then.

spartan wrote:

Lewn777 wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Lewn777 wrote: To compare a 90's MTB's which was made out of soda-can quality aluminium alloy being jumped over and over again and forming stress fractures and a carbon fiber steerer collapsing when it goes over a small bump in the road and fails without warning is completely ridiculous. I don't need a marathon of 90's MTBs on YT, I was riding one then.

How are Pinarello relevant to the conversation?
Their bikes are heavy and fill with water when it rains and are made in China, but maybe some are painted and/or assembled in Italy or Taiwan. They only use threaded BB's because team Sky mechanics inisisted. They are mostly made in the same Chinese factory as Cervelo, and are not some paragon of engineering perfection.