Tenerife

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Campervan

by Campervan

Hi
Just how brutal are the climbs in Tenerife? I am used to over 40-50 miles climbing 2500ft ish, I'm not scared of hills. In a weeks cycling (in March) I have the mountain climb 3 times.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

by Weenie

punk

by punk

Did the road from Puerto de la Cruz to Teide, it was around 45km and 2400m climb, pretty much steady 6% all the way.

Can't speak fo the rest of the island, I'm sure there's a lot more to climb there.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

The gradients aren't generally that bad in Tenerife, most stuff is about 6% average gradient despite the distances and vertical gains on the climbs and it massively depends on where you're based as the roads you're going to ride on. Some of the less famous roads are actually amazing, whereas some of the famous roads are actually pretty ugly. For example loads of places on the Los Christianos or El Medano side of the island are ugly as heck but many people stay there because of the sunny (but windy) weather. The famous Teide climb is as ugly as a pig's arse until you get to Vilaflor. https://www.strava.com/segments/707733

Whereas the climb from San Andrés - Cruce del pico del inglés https://www.strava.com/segments/4799031 is one of the best on the island known much more by locals, and La Laguna is a great place to stay if you're into Spanish culture and good food.

Some other nice climbs: CCA44373945 Bar Las Cañadas a Cruce Los Loros (Acceso Pista Lomo Atravesao) https://www.strava.com/segments/822819 and La Orotava to El Portillo https://www.strava.com/segments/656936.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Tenerife is cool and you can find all kinds of climbs. Just pay attention where you locate yourself. My first time there, i was in the west down at the coast. Only way to leave the town were roads with a double digit gradient for a few kilometers. Not the best way to start your day.

Besides the different ways up el teide, there are many other small climbs that are even more spectacular. Masca for example. One of the most beatiful climbs in the world in my opinion. Also the climb from Las Cruces to El Tanque. The view going up is phenomenal.

In general its quite a special feeling climbing such a high mountain in the middle of the ocean. When descending from the top of el teide to the south, it feels like the world is ending behind the guardrails because you see nothing but blue sky. Totally different to the alps or other mountains, where there is another mountain in your view most of the time.

Campervan

by Campervan

I'm on a guided tour so hopping to different hotels around the island 😁
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Btwin 540

1415chris

by 1415chris

Unless this tour is for pain seekers, the organisers will keep you from steep tarmac. And there is a plenty of it, especially when you leave the main roads and start exploring small local ones. Sometimes I was regretting my exploratory rides finding myself on the roads with +20% gradient pushing the bike uphill.
Major three Tenerife cycling destinatios: Masca, stunning but quite demanding, towards Santiago 4km over 10%. El Teide not that steep, but if you start from the sea level it is constant 35km ish climb. Slightly different take on "6%" compared to much shorter climbs.
Anaga mountains (didn't manage to go there) the oldest part of the island with its forest mountains, judging by the pictures, it is another stunner.
If you into local food and culture, definitely north part of island, south is a discotheque.
Have a fun!

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Campervan wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:49 pm
I'm on a guided tour so hopping to different hotels around the island 😁
It will be interesting to see your take on Tenerife if you are touring. Mine seems totally different to other posters, but I stayed in La Orotava (north) for a week, and La Laguna (east) for the second. The roads you'll climb on seem totally coloured by where you are staying, it seems that many people go to the south-west side of the island, stay for a week, and make proclaimations about what's best. Really it seems like they are missing out a heck of a lot if they think that Masca is one of the best climbs.

Campervan

by Campervan

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:23 am
Tenerife is cool and you can find all kinds of climbs. Just pay attention where you locate yourself. My first time there, i was in the west down at the coast. Only way to leave the town were roads with a double digit gradient for a few kilometers. Not the best way to start your day.

Besides the different ways up el teide, there are many other small climbs that are even more spectacular. Masca for example. One of the most beatiful climbs in the world in my opinion. Also the climb from Las Cruces to El Tanque. The view going up is phenomenal.

In general its quite a special feeling climbing such a high mountain in the middle of the ocean. When descending from the top of el teide to the south, it feels like the world is ending behind the guardrails because you see nothing but blue sky. Totally different to the alps or other mountains, where there is another mountain in your view most of the time.
Looks like doing either up or down Las Cruces to El Tanque.. Just how nasty is Masca? Looks like that is in there too. I just hope the GF isn't too broken by day 5 for that one. I have an FTP of 280, on a Venge pro disc with shallow light wheels and 11/30 with 52/36. She is on the gears but a tarmac, so I might try and source lower gears for her.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Btwin 540

by Weenie

eins4eins

by eins4eins

If you can, bring extra gears. Better safe than sorry.

i have some pictures from my ride to masca here. first picture is the climb from las cruces to el tanque.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2015201769