Training and riding in rain in sport wool type jerseys?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Look for a more casual look, and was eyeing up Rapha's Classic and Brevet kit. I tend to do more long slow distance type rides and the Pro Team stuff just doesn't fit the bill :P I tend to do some intervals during my rides though to try and keep some fitness, so like stuff that sheds sweat well.

I had a Rapha Classic long sleeve winter jersey years ago. Grabbed it off eBay. Was super thick and got bogged down in sweat when doing training efforts. Also fit was a bit clunky or something. Really old version of the jersey bit that basically put me off their Classic range since.

Is their newer stuff any better? Anyone train in sport wool type jerseys?

What about the rain, I feel quite happy riding in synthetic jerseys when totally soaked as long as I'm warm, not sure how I'd feel with a bogged down heavier merino jersey..

robertbb

by robertbb

Sportwool (merino blended with sythetic) is an old fabrication. There's better out there now.

There is a reason its not worn in Pro ranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

The benefits of something like the Rapha Classic Or Brevet Jerseys are that they’re so versatile. Sure, they won’t be the best on the very coldest of days, nor the best on the very hottest of days, but layered correctly they’ll serve you well for 3/4 of the year.

The Classic Jersey II is an amazing Jersey & if you’re not looking for a jersey cut for an aggressive position like the Pro Team range then in my opinion they’re close to perfect.

The reason pros don’t ride in a wool mix Jersey is because you’re right, there are other options. But a pros wardrobe is essentially broken down into the very best combination of materials to get a jersey or kit for different temperature ranges (0-5C, 6-10C, 11-15C etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point

by Point

Also check out Torm for sport wool jerseys, a lot less in price than Rapha and really great quality!
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

Shrike

by Shrike

Point you must work for Torm because I doubt too many people have heard of them :lol:

I actually like their styling, very classical. Sort of thing I'm looking for right now so will keep ay eye on their site.

gravity

by gravity

I can vouch for Torm as well. I have 3-4 jerseys that I rotate. I have also gotten some friends to try them and they all favour Torm now.

otoman

by otoman

I have a long sleeve wool jersey from Oregon Cyclewear. It is one of my favorite winter jerseys as the collar is nice and high and the fabric is amazingly versatile across a large temperature range. They can do custom embroidery or flocking with even a single jersey on order, no minimum.
I’ve worn it doing intervals, on hard group rides and just tooling around.... I’ve had it for several years and it looks like new.

https://m.oregoncyclewear.com/woolcyclingjerseys.html
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

sychen

by sychen

DartanianX wrote:The benefits of something like the Rapha Classic Or Brevet Jerseys are that they’re so versatile. Sure, they won’t be the best on the very coldest of days, nor the best on the very hottest of days, but layered correctly they’ll serve you well for 3/4 of the year.

The Classic Jersey II is an amazing Jersey & if you’re not looking for a jersey cut for an aggressive position like the Pro Team range then in my opinion they’re close to perfect.

The reason pros don’t ride in a wool mix Jersey is because you’re right, there are other options. But a pros wardrobe is essentially broken down into the very best combination of materials to get a jersey or kit for different temperature ranges (0-5C, 6-10C, 11-15C etc).

This...
Have both original and classic 2..both are versatile layering. Over 30deg..goes on super thin jerseys.. Under 10def..goes on long sleeves /jackets.. Sometimes with these wool based jerseys as part of the layers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Point

by Point

Shrike wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:52 pm
Point you must work for Torm because I doubt too many people have heard of them :lol:

I actually like their styling, very classical. Sort of thing I'm looking for right now so will keep ay eye on their site.
Admittedly I recommend them a lot, but for good reason. Torm has been by far the best value gear I've had. The sports wool is obviously great for what it is, durable, moisture wicking, smell resistant, hot and cold suitable kit. The cut is very accomodating. It's not skin tight, it's comfortable.

I wear my long sleeve Jersey most of the year round in the UK; besides the hottest and coldest peaks of summer and winter.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram