Not all carbon bikes are created equal: Inside Factor's Taiwanese HQ

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

It is always good to know where and how something is made. I wish more companies did the same although I am sure only a few would like to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

That article (and the MD of a large US bikeshop describing Factor one as the best rideing bike he'd ever had) were the reasons why I chose a Factor as my next bike. Now just waiting for the wheels to show up.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Good read. My o2 has definitely been the most surprising ride I've had. The ride quality is absolutely fantastic, but I think the bike is absent a few clever integration pieces that would better justify the cost. At this point, even thinking it's a great bike, I think their retail pricing should probably not be competing with the likes of Colnago, Pinarello, and Bianchi.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kgt wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:28 am
It is always good to know where and how something is made. I wish more companies did the same although I am sure only a few would like to.
I also think this is a very good thing to know... nothing against Chinese frames, I own a few, as well as some made in the USA.... but indeed the honesty is appreciated.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

nickf

by nickf

I agree with Imaking20. Their pricing is a bit high for what it is. I also don't see value in the ceramic speed stuff it comes with. Seems like they are trying to build value into the bike to justify the asking price. At the end of the day it's just another plastic bike made in China. I'm sure they ride great but not for what they are asking.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

OMG, Taiwan is not China, same as Tibet isn't China, and Crimea isn't Russia... the moment people start calling them so, and ignorance takes over, we let f**king politicians win their stupid wars.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

joejack951

by joejack951

From the article:

‘Our frames are made in our factory in Xiamen, China, 259km from here. In Taiwan we do the research and design, testing, sanding, paint and assembly, but Xiamen is where our factory makes our raw product.’

nickf isn't calling Taiwan China.

nickf

by nickf

Maybe try reading the article?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 pm
OMG, Taiwan is not China, same as Tibet isn't China, and Crimea isn't Russia... the moment people start calling them so, and ignorance takes over, we let f**king politicians win their stupid wars.
Quoted for posterity. This was amazing. Lmao.

flying

by flying

nickf wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 pm
I agree with Imaking20. Their pricing is a bit high for what it is. I also don't see value in the ceramic speed stuff it comes with. Seems like they are trying to build value into the bike to justify the asking price. At the end of the day it's just another plastic bike made in China. I'm sure they ride great but not for what they are asking.
Yeah me too +...while I enjoy these types of articles hearing about the process/thinking behind designs etc....

Value wise I will not be buying any new carbon frames

I just don't see the value anymore. Prices have all gone into silly rarefied air territory IMHO
That goes for most of the major players

Leviathan

by Leviathan

nickf wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 pm
Of course I didnt pay anything like retail prices for mine :D
But even at 4500€/$, a framset which includes the seatpost, saddle, bar/stem, garmin mount, even if you dont value the ceramic speed bottom bracket, doesnt seem overexpensive compared to the "top" bikes, does it? There was a post earlier on here of someone who bought a Trek Madone off a dealer and had to pay extra for its unique seatmast...

kgt

by kgt

You can pay the same for a 100% made in Italy or made in France or made in the US frame so, yes, 4500€ for made in China is too expensive IMO.

alanyu

by alanyu

Designed in Taiwan and made in Xiamen? No, it's not the truth.

The frame is made in Shandong. The factory is Taishan Pardus, which also makes frames for Argon 18 and Cervelo, even their top end models.

O2 is an ODM model. 001 is also an ODM model. One is redesigned by Factor HQ based on 001. What's more, the origin model of the headtube and fork system of new S5 and 001 is the same.
kgt wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:14 pm
You can pay the same for a 100% made in Italy or made in France or made in the US frame so, yes, 4500€ for made in China is too expensive IMO.
So do you think Cervelo new S5 is also too expensive? Also Scott is made in Dongguan, China, and 99% of the world famous bikes are made in, let's say, Asia.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I couldn't see myself paying $4500 for a frameset and not the complete frameset with stem/handlebar and seatpost, so when I saw it on sale for half off, J bought one. Turns out that its a better bike than I expected and ride it the most. Where its made is not much of a concern to me...but more of how its made. There's a few YouTube vids on GCN's visit to the factory. Also a good insight.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc