Not all carbon bikes are created equal: Inside Factor's Taiwanese HQ

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

joejack951

by joejack951

alanyu wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:49 pm
Designed in Taiwan and made in Xiamen? No, it's not the truth.

The frame is made in Shandong. The factory is Taishan Pardus, which also makes frames for Argon 18 and Cervelo, even their top end models.
The article clearly states that the frames are made in Xiamen. See my quote above in response to the poster claiming that the frames are not made in China.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

kode54 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:15 pm
I couldn't see myself paying $4500 for a frameset and not the complete frameset with stem/handlebar and seatpost, so when I saw it on sale for half off, J bought one. Turns out that its a better bike than I expected and ride it the most. Where its made is not much of a concern to me...but more of how its made. There's a few YouTube vids on GCN's visit to the factory. Also a good insight.
My situation exactly. And although Im wary of first ride impressions I think my O2, together with my Basso Diamante, are the only bikes Id consider a long-term keeper. (And Ive had a Bianchi, an F8, an older Canyon and a just god awful Time).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

joejack951 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:21 pm
alanyu wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:49 pm
Designed in Taiwan and made in Xiamen? No, it's not the truth.

The frame is made in Shandong. The factory is Taishan Pardus, which also makes frames for Argon 18 and Cervelo, even their top end models.
The article clearly states that the frames are made in Xiamen. See my quote above in response to the poster claiming that the frames are not made in China.
Shandong IS in China, but it is NOT in Xiamen. It's another province. The article is not correct. As I was in China and I have communicated with people working in different factories, I'm 100% sure about what I have said.

joejack951

by joejack951

alanyu wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:30 pm
Shandong IS in China, but it is NOT in Xiamen. It's another province. The article is not correct. As I was in China and I have communicated with people working in different factories, I'm 100% sure about what I have said.
Did Rob Gitelis get mis-quoted or did he name the wrong province? I am just going by the article in which Rob is quoted as saying that the factory is in Xiamen.

For the record, I do some manufacturing myself in Xiamen along with Shenzen and Zhejiang.

flying

by flying

Overall I think it is safe to say all but a very very few carbon frames are made somewhere other than SE Asia

I tend to think of major players only Time, Some Looks? & ??? are not manufactured in SE Asia....who else is not made in SE Asia? (Besides tiny custom companies)

nickf

by nickf

Allied, and Alchemy come to mind.

alanyu

by alanyu

joejack951 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:27 pm
Did Rob Gitelis get mis-quoted or did he name the wrong province? I am just going by the article in which Rob is quoted as saying that the factory is in Xiamen.

For the record, I do some manufacturing myself in Xiamen along with Shenzen and Zhejiang.
Maybe he got mis-quoted, or he said that purposely, as Xiamen is much more famous than Shandong in carbon fiber OEM aspect. How many people know Taishan Group in Shandong, China? It was not famous one year ago even in China, although it's a powerful one related to military industry and Taishan Pardus has been making frames for Argon and Cervelo for several years, and also Factor.

Actually, I've seen a photo showing something like "Xiamen XXX Factory for Factor Bike" in Chinese, which can be the factory producing other parts (should be wheels, as Taishan Pardus didn't make carbon rims before) for Factor.

joejack951

by joejack951

alanyu, fair enough. I doubt a journalist would swap out one Chinese province for another when quoting someone. That would be odd, as is a company rep knowingly misstating where their frames are made.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Orbea stopped carbon production in China in 2015. Now it is Portugal.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:30 am
All orbea carbon frames made in asia.
See 2:30

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOfyZgHyexA
Last edited by ome rodriguez on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

wheelbuilder wrote:
I for one dont see Portugal or Tunesia being any better then China....and I love LOOK
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:05 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
I for one dont see Portugal or Tunesia being any better then China....and I love LOOK
Me neither.......just putting it here as a poster above asked if there were any other brands not doing carbon in China.

velov

by velov

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 am
spdntrxi wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
Me neither.......just putting it here as a poster above asked if there were any other brands not doing carbon in China.
Watch the Orbea video linked above, they're manufacturing isn't done in Portugal.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

velov wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:49 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 am
spdntrxi wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
Watch the Orbea video linked above, they're manufacturing isn't done in Portugal.
While I have not kept up on their manufacturing, When I bought my frame in 2016 I was told by rep in no uncertain terms that they ceased all production in Asia in 2015. Scroll down a bit in link below. Not trying to argue with anyone, and maybe things have changed. I don't care either way.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/blog/the-industrial-art

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

I’m struggling to see the relevance to be honest. I’ll take a well made Asian frame any day over a poorly made Euro frame.

I’ve had enough dodgy Italian gear over the years to be over the ‘Euro is best’ view, too often they are leveraging their brand perception and being complacent with quality knowing that the fanboys will accept it as ‘character’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk