Bike box for new Venge (or similar new generation bikes)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

ryanw wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:58 am
The Topeak is a few cm smaller than the Buxum, but both actually take up less space than the awkwardly shaped BBA. And they are considerably easier to store due to their uniformed shape.

Also, both wheel much better than a BBA, the Topeak wheels as good as any Samsonite suitcase.
Any notable differences in storage capabilities / features between the two? (eg. do they both require the same parts to be disassembled, both fine with thru axles, etc)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

My friend who does a lot of Iron Men has the Buxum, it's a serious box and heavier than the Topeak, but 99.9% sure your bike will come out perfect.
You also only have to remove seatpost and wheels, that's it! Bike is rebuilt in 2 mins.

The Propak is great for storage and you can fit a shed load in the main compartment since the bike is centrally fixed on the bike stand.

You have to pack the Propak so all heavy items (tools etc) are located closet to the wheels / bottom so it isn't too top heavy.

I would 100% recommend both boxes over a BBA. The Topeak if you don't want to spend £900 and not fussed about removing bars etc.

My S5 Disc fitted in the Propak with bars removed and bent round (not far due to brake hoses not allowing it).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

Wow, didn’t know the Buxum! Looks like it ticks all my requirements for a new Venge. I have until May 2020 to decide, so will check out these 3:

1) Buxum
2) Topeka
3) New BBA (released a month ago)

One comment re having a regularly shaped box though. Isn’t it that it is more likely to end up at the bottom of a pile, whereas the new BBA (due to its shape) is very likely to end up at the top?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The benefits of the Topeak (not sure about Buxum) is that it fits through the normal suitcase scanner so you don't have to deal with faffing about at airports trying to find the special overszied loading area.

Recently at Granada airport, I saw loads of Iron Men and their BBA's having to detour down to the overszied loading area. I just stuck mine through the normal scanner and skipped off to the lounge ;)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Dodger747

by Dodger747

The Elite Borson looks pretty good [GPLama did a good review of it], thinking of getting one for my Venge. Anyone got one here?

parajba

by parajba

For my new Venge, I have narrowed it down to the following:

1) BikeBoxAlan Easyfit Aero
2) Buxumbox

The BikeBoxAlan Easyfit Aero is currently my favourite because (in theory, I need to test it) it would allow me to keep the seat post in place. Removing the seat post on my Venge is always messy as it's covered in carbon paste and I also have the internal battery inside.

I don't mind the irregular outside shape, it might be a benefit as it means that they will not put it at the bottom of a pile it anything. Car transport or storage (when not in use) is not an issue.

Are there any real world reviews for these 2 on a modern aero bike? Topeak is a no go as I am my panning to touch the handlebar.

The BikeBoxAlan Easyfit Aero is also 4 Kg lighter.

Cost-wise the Buxumbox is £150 more expensive but I don't mind as I will be keeping it for quite a few years.

hkgmatt

by hkgmatt

How difficult is it to get the Topeak into a taxi or car rental? I've struggled with the original BBA although its dimensions aren't much larger than the Topeak.

parajba

by parajba

I will purchase a BikeBoxAlan Easyfit Aero after Christmas so any more real world feedback is welcome.

robeambro

by robeambro

ryanw wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am
The benefits of the Topeak (not sure about Buxum) is that it fits through the normal suitcase scanner so you don't have to deal with faffing about at airports trying to find the special overszied loading area.

Recently at Granada airport, I saw loads of Iron Men and their BBA's having to detour down to the overszied loading area. I just stuck mine through the normal scanner and skipped off to the lounge ;)
Hi Ryan, I know this post is rather old, however I was wondering.. If you don't check in your bike via oversized luggage, do you still have to pay the sports equipment fees or just the regular luggage check in (which can be rather cheaper)?

Kingston

by Kingston

Did any one fit a Venge in Topeak?
My concern is if the brake hoses are long enough, when handlebars is removed and wrapped around. I would really don't like to loosen the calipers in order to make the hose "longer"
The size of the Topeak seems to fit in my car better.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I had being using a semi soft case for years until a few months ago when tired of the oversized luggage crap at airports decided to get an airport ninja. I ride a small frame and I could not get it disassembled in there regardless of what I did. I was at the end of my patience and just didn’t have it in my to remove the cranks to get it in. That would have officially made it a full disassembly. Even then it took me less than 45 min leisurely to put it all back together, so can’t imagine what you’d have to do to take 4 hrs!!!

As far as the hard cases mentioned above, I like the Topeak for weight and simplicity, but I wouldn’t be able to fit that in either of my cars. Not even the back seat, and my largest is a 4 door midsize sedan. I tried a friend’s BBA recently and it wouldn’t fit in the seat or back seat. Good luck dragging that thing around in small places and trying to get into a simple vehicle. I like the overkill protection, and in some cases the easy of assembly/disassembly, but the thing has to make it to the airport and other places too. Just 2 cents to throw for what it’s worth. And I’m in the market for one too for at least 3 trips this year

parajba

by parajba

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:53 pm
I had being using a semi soft case for years until a few months ago when tired of the oversized luggage crap at airports decided to get an airport ninja. I ride a small frame and I could not get it disassembled in there regardless of what I did. I was at the end of my patience and just didn’t have it in my to remove the cranks to get it in. That would have officially made it a full disassembly. Even then it took me less than 45 min leisurely to put it all back together, so can’t imagine what you’d have to do to take 4 hrs!!!

As far as the hard cases mentioned above, I like the Topeak for weight and simplicity, but I wouldn’t be able to fit that in either of my cars. Not even the back seat, and my largest is a 4 door midsize sedan. I tried a friend’s BBA recently and it wouldn’t fit in the seat or back seat. Good luck dragging that thing around in small places and trying to get into a simple vehicle. I like the overkill protection, and in some cases the easy of assembly/disassembly, but the thing has to make it to the airport and other places too. Just 2 cents to throw for what it’s worth. And I’m in the market for one too for at least 3 trips this year
If you lower the backseats it should fit? And plenty of room left for luggage etc. Even a small car like the Punto or Golf is able to accommodate it? The problem is not the box, the problem is the sedan. In my opinion sedans are pretty much useless in terms of cargo capacity unless you are single. In which case just get a sports car which is better... :mrgreen:

I tried one of the new BikeBoxAlan EasyFit at my LBS. Tbh the wheels are really good and the thing glides effortlessly. Clearly cannot take the stairs with it, but that's no different to any other bike bag.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Your better off carrying an ad hoc roof rack in your bike box than trying to find a hard case that will fit inside. Unless it's a Orucase, Post Carry, Ruster, fork-off bag, it's not going to fit in a random Fiesta/Golf/Focus - whatever is at the airport.

Ikea has carboard triangles for your roof or use some old tires/tubes. Then you can secure it with universal window/gutter tie downs or you can use suction cup tiedowns.

parajba

by parajba

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:24 pm
Your better off carrying an ad hoc roof rack in your bike box than trying to find a hard case that will fit inside. Unless it's a Orucase, Post Carry, Ruster, fork-off bag, it's not going to fit in a random Fiesta/Golf/Focus - whatever is at the airport.

Ikea has carboard triangles for your roof or use some old tires/tubes. Then you can secure it with universal window/gutter tie downs or you can use suction cup tiedowns.
I fit a BikeBoxAlan (old style, not the new one) into a Punto. No problems. The Punto is quite a lot smaller than a Golf. Not sure I follow your post...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

parajba wrote:If you lower the backseats it should fit? And plenty of room left for luggage etc. Even a small car like the Punto or Golf is able to accommodate it? The problem is not the box, the problem is the sedan.

The main problem is getting it inside the car. Punto and golf are both hatchbacks. Most vehicles are not!!! My semi soft bag was bigger in dimensions than the Topeak, but in contrast you could squeeze it and bend it some, so I could squeeze it through the door of the back seat and would fit there with plenty of space. That’s the huge down side to hard cases!!!!

And if the problem is the car, then you assume cars need to accommodate to the case and not the other way around! You’ll have a big problem with that theory/assumption!!

The other real thing is that if you really like to travel with your bike, you should try to simplify some things or suffer/pay through the nose.

I got a 2nd bike that I would specifically use for traveling. I made sure it had rim brakes and mechanical gears. I also geared it for climbing as I live in a flat area and can’t see myself ever traveling anywhere just to ride the same terrain. I bring any extra that may remotely be needed if something not ultra common was to break like chains, specific spokes to my wheels, extra cleats, tires, etc. ultimately, I also know how to fix/replace everything in my bike. Just a suggestion to minimize headaches and angry times as I see travel as a fun endeavor, not an exercise in finding the world to accommodate to my specificities!!!