Team Ineos Swaps To Lightweights For Climbing Stages (for TDF 2019)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

C36

by C36

mendiz wrote:Are you using this rim? My brother is going to buy TLO 45 tubular with Carbon ti hubs and cxray. My experience with handlebar Schmolke was fantastic, the best handlebars for me. But a bike shop here that both owners use TLO and SL 45 tubular rims does not say anything about the wheels.
Noodles wheels for me is the worst in a bike.
C36 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:55 am
mendiz wrote:And rims Schmolke TLO 30 tubular with CxRay and hubs White Industries, Tune or Carbon ti? The price is fantastic.
They are noodles :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
No, but seen lab test results that were quite self explanatory. In the low 30N/mm (32 if I recall, need to check the data at home) that’s a total nonsense unless you never get out of the saddle.
With thicker and higher spoke count that could have been acceptable.

mendiz

by mendiz

Can you post the test? I am interested, I think with 72 kgs is better 24 spokes front, 28 rear but the wheelbuilder says that 20/24 is enough. 32 Nm would be ridicolous.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

I can try to confirm the details but won’t be able to share much (wheel manufacturer internal lab-test).

24 rear spokes specially Cx-Ray in all cases are a “not making sense” to me. Using Cx-sprint will give you a 10-12% more stiffness
(It’s in french but with google you have a lot of different data here DT Aerolite and Aerocomp http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-53430713.html).

Considering the minimal weight penalty I would consider 28 spokes for any custom wheel.

Wookski

by Wookski

Denavelo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:19 pm
You can call Lance a liar, cheat, scumbag, etc.. All of the explitives you want.. One thing you can't rule out, is his obession with the sport and everything cycling related. He went on a rant on his podcast with Hincapie about how those wheels suck descending in a pro race. Hincapie also agreed..
Didn’t Lance and George race gen 1’s before switching to Bontrager? I agree that Lance still adds value but from a tech perspective he’s a dumbass. Setup correctly Lightweights don’t stop any worse than any other carbon wheel which is completely acceptable from a racing perspective.

Ineos aren’t stupid, there’s no way they’d select a sub optimal setup. As if the world’s richest team would sacrifice performance for a few $$ in sponsorship- they exist to win GT’s.

Jugi

by Jugi

Josh Poertner of Silca among others involved in the pro's equipment selection have mentioned the principle which winning riders and teams choose (or at least should) their setup - up on the top level performance differences are so small, the equipment selected should provide a benefit at key parts of the event, where a competitive edge can be gained. The key part may be a critical 500 m section of a long climb, a technical descent or a cobbled sector or something else. Hardly anything is absolutely superior, as even top quality equipment have comparable positives and negatives.

Using Egan Bernal of Ineos and Julian Alaphilippe of DQS as examples, I think both had beneficial equipment in use. The critical benefits were just identified differently, maybe based on rider's performance (add to strengths more than cover weaknesses?) and not just the parcours.

Wookski

by Wookski

The key difference being QS have less of a choice- JA’s setup was 100% Specialized missionary position.

kgt

by kgt

Wookski wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:13 am
Ineos aren’t stupid, there’s no way they’d select a sub optimal setup. As if the world’s richest team would sacrifice performance for a few $$ in sponsorship- they exist to win GT’s.
Obviously.
Still, some geniuses in this forum believe that Ineos jeopardized their success by using a wheelset which is dangerous in crosswinds [sic] in order to help a small German company. And they did all this secretely.
lol
Last edited by kgt on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ichobi

by ichobi

Ja decision to ride disc bike is not really a choice since quickstep (and Bora) dont have a choice between rim and disc brake. Both team committed to 100% disc unless you mean the choice between Venge and Tarmac.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kgt wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am
Wookski wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:13 am
Obviously.
Still, some geniuses in this forum believe that Ineos jeopardized their success by using a wheelset which is dangerous in crosswinds [sic] in order to help a small German company. And they did all this secretely.
lol
you have a derangement syndrome or something?... show me "in this thread" who said they were dangerous?.... I believe the word danger and lightweight only come up in sentences posted by you. I could be wrong..... I'm not re-reading the damn thing.

lets hope we see them in Spain
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kgt

by kgt

Many times forum members have posted their 'scary' experience with crosswinds blowing them away when on LW.
Whether you remember this or not, I could not care less.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

KGT there are lots of people across the internet and beyond who find lightweights bad in crosswind compared to other wheels of a similar depth. And you seem determined to argue against them all. Honestly I normally skim past these threads rather than commenting. But seriously, maybe you should just make peace with that for your own good. You’re taking brand loyalty to a new level.

kgt

by kgt

I do not disagree that LW Meilenstein are not good in crosswinds but most wheelsets having a similar profile are not. I cannot accept though that LWs are so bad in crosswinds that are almost unsafe to ride in high mountains etc. A few forum members believe this although it has been proven (in races and in tests) that LWs are not so bad. They are in fact somewhere in the middle compared to similar profile wheels. There are better wheels in this aspect and there are worse.
So, it has nothing to do with brand loyalty, I just find them truly exceptional wheels in some (not all) aspects. Unless you believe that Ineos chose them because of brand loyalty too.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

kgt wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 am
I do not disagree that LW Meilenstein are not good in crosswinds but most wheelsets having a similar profile are not. I cannot accept though that LWs are so bad in crosswinds that are almost unsafe to ride in high mountains etc. A few forum members believe this although it has been proven (in races and in tests) that LWs are not so bad. They are in fact somewhere in the middle compared to similar profile wheels. There are better wheels in this aspect and there are worse.
So, it has nothing to do with brand loyalty, I just find them truly exceptional wheels in some (not all) aspects. Unless you believe that Ineos chose them because of brand loyalty too.
I think Ineos chose them because they weighed up the positive and negative and felt they were an overall positive. Not because they don’t have any negative aspect.

The reason I made the brand loyalty comment is because you seem to generally refuse to accept any negative criticism of the brand. You are probably right in that some of the other guys quite enjoy putting the knife into lightweight! So battle lines have been drawn :D

But I’m saying for your own sake maybe you should just let it go. Life’s too short!

For what it’s worth I have a set of meilenstein 24e schwarz and love them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

kgt wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:04 am
We agree then, good!
Ok, I guess I should of known better.