Can titanium be fast and sporty?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

TLN

by TLN

Hi all.

Currently own Allez sprint with stock CL64 wheels. Was asked a few days ago to part out bike and sell a frame, which leaves me with X1 groupset and deep section wheels.
Mostly doing group rides for fun and fit, not racing professionally. Living in Chicago, so X1 + deep wheels makes sense.

Soo... I thought about getting Ti frame for a second. It sounds good for touring bike (reliable + comfy), but does it makes sense for short rides? It's quite the opposite, of what people are doing here; getting a heavier wheels, and then heavier frame. if that's more comfortable that makes sense, but with my size it will be way over 8kg I'm pretty sure. Sounds like fun, but is it? Or I should forget about idea of deep wheels on TI frame?
His: Specialiez S-Works Tarmac SL5 Disc.
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Wookski

by Wookski

Deep wheels make all frames better :lol: It’s so hard to comment without specifics: you can find racey and agile frames made from ti, steel, alloy, carbon, just like you can find noodles made from any of these materials. Are there any ti frames you’re looking at in particular?

by Weenie

DartanianX

by DartanianX

My moots is an amazing crit bike!

Raced AU elite nationals and managed to ride the break all day and climb with the best of the pros, all be it not in the last couple of laps but hey, I don’t train enough to warrant being there then anyway.

Also won L’Etape AU which has its fair share of climbing on it too.

Can’t speak for other TI frames, but my moots isn’t slowing me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

Sexy moot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Can confirm both the Moots and the rider are weapons.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

DartanianX wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:16 am

My moots is an amazing crit bike!

Raced AU elite nationals and managed to ride the break all day and climb with the best of the pros, all be it not in the last couple of laps but hey, I don’t train enough to warrant being there then anyway.

Also won L’Etape AU which has its fair share of climbing on it too.

Can’t speak for other TI frames, but my moots isn’t slowing me down.

What are you doing here Darcy you menace, shouldn’t you be smashing the climbs of Lombardy on that 10kg anchor?!

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Keeping my Blue AC1 and loving it. Just bought a Litespeed T3 disc and fork for a new project. Having spent over 20 years on titanium frames I just had to get another one in the stable. I expect it to be everything the AC1 is and more. Build to follow.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

logy

by logy

Have a Laverack R J.ack and love it. Running Reynolds Strike and prefer it to my tricked out Evo.

Marin

by Marin

No ;)

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I have a Moots Compact SL circa 2007, that I scored new off of a guy who was in a financial jam. I acquired and then let it sit around unbuilt forever, even long past my racing retirement. It was a running household joke, because it was from Reynolds 6/4 tubing that was no longer available, that I was just letting appreciate like artwork! Last year I finally got around to building it up. The geometry is pretty quick, 73.7 degree head tube, I used a 40mm rake ENVE fork, DA 9100 with ENVE bar/stem and Thomson post. With the butted and ovalized 6/4 tubing, I have to say this bike is pretty racy and I kind of regret not having used it in my final years of racing (though sponsorships would have stopped me in some of those years). It has a straight 1.125" head tube so there is maybe a bit less stiffness up front, but the rear triangle and BB are very solid. The chainstays are way oversized and 41 cm long.

Anyway, my point here is that this particular Ti frame is not exactly the all-day cruiser one would think. The combo of tubing and geometry gives it a fairly crisp ride with lots of feedback. I don't find it beats me up any more or less than other pure road machines, but compared to other Ti bikes I've owned and ridden (Merlin XL, Merlin Works CR) it certainly has a less-muted ride. For the OP, I would think you could probably get a custom built Moots RSL or something from No 22, Firefly, Carl Strong, or Mosaic that would be what you are looking for.
Last edited by Bigger Gear on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

TLN wrote:Hi all.

Currently own Allez sprint with stock CL64 wheels. Was asked a few days ago to part out bike and sell a frame, which leaves me with X1 groupset and deep section wheels.
Mostly doing group rides for fun and fit, not racing professionally. Living in Chicago, so X1 + deep wheels makes sense.

Soo... I thought about getting Ti frame for a second. It sounds good for touring bike (reliable + comfy), but does it makes sense for short rides? It's quite the opposite, of what people are doing here; getting a heavier wheels, and then heavier frame. if that's more comfortable that makes sense, but with my size it will be way over 8kg I'm pretty sure. Sounds like fun, but is it? Or I should forget about idea of deep wheels on TI frame?
Lol. My T1 2015. Pure bad assery. I used for racing Reynolds assault. Bike weight at 15.8 lbs. I’m 200lbs. Thing is my favorite ride.
I have a lynskey Helix as well. More relaxed posture but still stiff as hell. Heavier but I like it as well. It’s my spare bike. Get any that is stiff with good tube butting. You won’t be disappointed.

HereImageImageImage

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Can titanium be fast and sporty? I believe so...

Hellgate

by Hellgate

My 333fab. Rocketship!Image

Finx

by Finx

My Moots Routt Race Shop Limited is pretty spunky when I put the light/skinny wheels and tires on it.

by Weenie