When connecting garmin to computer: There's a problem with the drive, scan & fix it?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

dim

by dim

I have a new laptop, and when I connect my Garmin Edge 1000 to the computer so as to load a ride to Strava, I get a message telling me that there is a problem with the garmin and it asks me if it should scan and fix ... I click the 'Continue without scanning' option

I never used to get this message .... why am I getting it, and what happens if I scan? (will my garmin get reformatted/corrupt?)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Could it be an anti-virus software doing this? Usually new laptops come loaded with bloatware and it’s a good practice to get rid of all the bloatware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

mattr

by mattr

Mine does this as well. Does it when i put the SD card from any of my Rpis in as well. It appears to be that windows doesn't recognise the formatting protocol of the card/device, so has a tantrum.

I solved it by never connecting my garmin to the PC. Just bluetooth it.

Oh, neither of the PCs have any bloatware or antivirus (other than the built in windows defender, which doesn't even twitch when i connect), both clean win10 64 installs.

Miller

by Miller

It's an MS thing. I have allowed it to run on my Garmin 520. The process completed in a few seconds and there was no further issue.

dim

by dim

Miller wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 pm
It's an MS thing. I have allowed it to run on my Garmin 520. The process completed in a few seconds and there was no further issue.
so did you allow windows to scan your garmin?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Lewn777

by Lewn777

You can allow it to do the scan, no harm came to my 520 when I did so. You can also just ignore the nag and everything will work fine too. I just connect to my PC because I hate Garmin Connect on Android. Prefer the Apple version (same with Strava).

ms6073

by ms6073

Typically this happens on MS Windows based systems when one disconnects the USB cable without first safely removing (ejecting) the device from the Windows system tray.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

Miller

by Miller

dim wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 pm
so did you allow windows to scan your garmin?
Yep. Admittedly, I was sure beforehand that all rides were safely on Strava.

mattr

by mattr

Only time i let it scan, it editted a file while "fixing" a problem. The RPi wouldn't boot after that......

Thankfully i had an image of the card. Saved on my desktop. :/

by Weenie