Let's chat about descending and handling

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Another false equivalence. Why even bring up wheelies and who can or cannot do them? DOUG merely brought up the same points I made a couple posts earlier. Motos weigh several hundred pounds and have very wide tires compared to bicycles. They operate in a higher power band and you won’t pedal strike when applying the throttle in a 45deg lean.

Knee dragging exists on motos because the rider is pretty much hanging off the bike at that point. This is not a thing on bicycles because the entire system doesn’t have enough mechanical grip or mass to make it a reality. The only reason I point my knee out in a corner is because that’s basically its idle position and I’m keeping it out of the way of other body parts like my elbows.

I find it very difficult to engage you in any thoughtful discussion because you keep making random, irrelevant stream of consciousness posts, or denigrating people as sheep or noobs, just like you’ve done to DOUG here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:41 am
DOUG wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 am
Some of the techniques translate well and the basics still apply (tip in point, hitting the apex) but its a false equivalence.
You sound like someone saying 'but a wheelie is just a pointless skill for show-offs'.

Drill down and the real reason is the insecurity that they can't do it themselves.
:lol: this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in the context of my post.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:10 am
Another false equivalence. Why even bring up wheelies and who can or cannot do them? DOUG merely brought up the same points I made a couple posts earlier. Motos weigh several hundred pounds and have very wide tires compared to bicycles. They operate in a higher power band and you won’t pedal strike when applying the throttle in a 45deg lean.

Knee dragging exists on motos because the rider is pretty much hanging off the bike at that point. This is not a thing on bicycles because the entire system doesn’t have enough mechanical grip or mass to make it a reality. The only reason I point my knee out in a corner is because that’s basically its idle position and I’m keeping it out of the way of other body parts like my elbows.

I find it very difficult to engage you in any thoughtful discussion because you keep making random, irrelevant stream of consciousness posts, or denigrating people as sheep or noobs, just like you’ve done to DOUG here.
The pont is that it's to do with objectivity. I wasn't denigrating anyone. If Doug feels like he was being denigrated, I humbly aplologize.

Someone that can't ride a wheelie will say 'it's just pointless showing off'. Someone that can will say 'it's just a bit of fun, but it helps you learn a bike's balance point, how to effectively feather the rear brake'.

The same is true with riding moto helping road cycle skills. Someone that can't ride moto will not want to make the connection as much as someone that can. It's just human nature.

It sounds like you're having an pangs of insecurity because you can't ride moto or wheelie. Seems oddly over-defensive compared with the nonsense that's been spun in this thread. Thought you'd developed a thicker skin.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Enough.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk