Garmin watch

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Hi all,

Just bought a Garmin 735xt off amazon. I normally use my Garmin 820 as my bike computer. I paired it with garmin speed and cadence sensors and normally i wear the HRM-dual. Now having the watch, i set the watch to boardcast my heartrate during exercise. after a couple of test rides, i notice my final recording only shows about 10 minutes of heart rate data. Is it because i didnt start an activity on my watch and the watch just goes to sleep while the bike computer is still recording?

is there any way of stop the watch from sleeping apart from starting a separate recording with the watch? i want to avoid having to deal with two sets of data on strava (auto upload from both 820 and watch). Or there is no way around it and i just have to delete one each time? Thanks. :beerchug:
In the house: Colnago V1r, Colnago A1r, Wilier Cento1 Air, Scott Scale 700SL, Bianchi FSE, Colnago Concept, Colnago A1r, Specialized Ruze Pro, Wilier GTR, Argon 18 E117 Tri+, Brompton B75

by Weenie

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I haven't tried to stop mine from sleeping, but what about looking at doing the opposite? Record using the watch, and just use the 820 as a display? It's been a while since I've used a Garmin bike computer, but you should be able to turn off auto sleep.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

glam2deaf wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:49 pm
I haven't tried to stop mine from sleeping, but what about looking at doing the opposite? Record using the watch, and just use the 820 as a display? It's been a while since I've used a Garmin bike computer, but you should be able to turn off auto sleep.
good call! i will give that a go!
In the house: Colnago V1r, Colnago A1r, Wilier Cento1 Air, Scott Scale 700SL, Bianchi FSE, Colnago Concept, Colnago A1r, Specialized Ruze Pro, Wilier GTR, Argon 18 E117 Tri+, Brompton B75

tabl10s

by tabl10s

WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm
Hi all,

Just bought a Garmin 735xt off amazon. I normally use my Garmin 820 as my bike computer. I paired it with garmin speed and cadence sensors and normally i wear the HRM-dual. Now having the watch, i set the watch to boardcast my heartrate during exercise. after a couple of test rides, i notice my final recording only shows about 10 minutes of heart rate data. Is it because i didnt start an activity on my watch and the watch just goes to sleep while the bike computer is still recording?

is there any way of stop the watch from sleeping apart from starting a separate recording with the watch? i want to avoid having to deal with two sets of data on strava (auto upload from both 820 and watch). Or there is no way around it and i just have to delete one each time? Thanks. :beerchug:
For years, I wanted an HRM, but now I hate having to go through the ritual of using it. How accurate is the watch compared to the belt?
Last edited by tabl10s on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Orbea Orca OMR: 15.0lbs/6.804kg...😐 | 2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg...😭 | 2015 Pinarello F8: 13.04lbs/5.915kg...😩 | 2018 S-Works SL6: 12.04/5.625kg... 😥

Eraser92

by Eraser92

I would still just use a heart rate strap instead of the watch for HR. For me there is about a 10bpm discrepancy between my wahoo tickr and garmin fenix watch when running or cycling. Also the watch does not respond to changes in heart rate quick enough, sometimes completely missing harder efforts.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

D'oh!
2016 Orbea Orca OMR: 15.0lbs/6.804kg...😐 | 2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg...😭 | 2015 Pinarello F8: 13.04lbs/5.915kg...😩 | 2018 S-Works SL6: 12.04/5.625kg... 😥

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Yeah stick to the belt, the wrist strap is fine for daily measuring but it is way off for any serious training.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I don’t think that the watch does your heart rate justice. But I also noticed that the garmin connect app doesn’t really weigh in your cycling if it is uploaded from a cycling computer. As in the recovery time suggested doesn’t change unless it is a watch recorded activity. This bothers me because my watch won’t connect to my power meter. Now my profile is all off on recovery and power lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I have and use my watch for only monitoring sleep. I still use a Wahoo strap for actual heart rate while on the bike. I do use the watch running but I seldom run and it's also more of a social thing such as running with my daughters, son in law or other daughters boyfriend.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

dmp

by dmp

I have been using a Garmin Fenix 5 instead of a HR chest strap for the past month or 2 since my HRM died. SInce I don't have any comparison data I can't corroborate or dispute what anyone has said about accuracy or latency, but I have also had some drop outs of data. As far as the OP's initial question, I have had the same thing happen, and have only been able to fix the problem by using the cycling app built in to the watch and starting it- it seems that even if you are collecting HR data, if you don't actually start the ride on the Garmin I can't seem to override the auto shut off.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Juanmoretime wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am
....... it's also more of a social thing such as running with my daughters, son in law or other daughters boyfriend.
I have nothing to add to the thread, other than this made me smile.
Your cycling kit is one size too big!

by Weenie

kytyree

by kytyree

I like the Fenix 5 a lot, but I turned the HR part off, it is just a battery drain for me. I wear a HRM when I ride or want something accurate. The Fenix seems pretty accurate to me if I'm at work or just going about my day but as soon as I start running etc the numbers are often not that accurate. I've been using HRM's for about 25 years so I have a pretty good idea what my version of normal is and the Fenix just doesn't track mine accurately once I start really doing something.

I can't really put my finger on what causes it to be inaccurate, I've used it before and thought it was doing a pretty fair job and then other times it just does not work right.

All that said, I do really like the watch and find it pretty useful, though mostly for anything that's not cycling. I have used it MTB'ing a few times though and it does well if you just need to record time/track/distance type information.