Cycling Glasses Recomendations - Aero Position

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRich

by TheRich

flying wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:08 pm
kgt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:59 am
BTW many NOS glasses are awesome.
I have a pair of Brancale and they are both the lightest (28gr) and the highest quality glasses (including their amazing lenses tested by my optician) I ever had. And I got them for 20 euros.
I agree & have found the same.

If one can get past the fanboy/name brand mentality & judge by form , fit & function I think most would be hard
pressed to not agree in a test where glasses were put on your face without you knowing the brand.

Bottom line is most "sport" type sunglasses are inexpensive plastic framed, plastic lens items.
That's true, but over time the additional cost becomes pretty minimal. I've had my Oakleys for at least six years, and I like nice stuff, so it's not some great expense to use the nice stuff I like.

flying

by flying

TheRich wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 am
That's true, but over time the additional cost becomes pretty minimal. I've had my Oakleys for at least six years, and I like nice stuff, so it's not some great expense to use the nice stuff I like.
For sure we are all more than allowed to spend on anything we want.

I only this year finally broke a set of Oakley's I bought near 2001-2004

But........That was bought before Luxottica bought Oakley & jacked prices 1000%
Same as the metal frame real glass Ray Bans I always bought for under $100 before Luxottica bought Ray Ban

Lastly the main point I am making is if brand is wiped aside most would agree "the nice stuff"
is quite common quality with things selling for a penny to the dollar non-name brand compared to "name" brands

by Weenie

MKAlex

by MKAlex

I enjoy my pair of Costa Del Mar. Quite good for cycling, good lenses coating and were quite cheap to buy from https://www.smartbuyglasses.com/.

sychen

by sychen

TheRich wrote:
wpccrunner wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:30 pm
Looking for recomendations for riding glasses.
My partner has contacts and whenever we road ride she complains of very dry eyes from wind getting past the glasses she wears.
She has worn the following glasses with variable results
Oakley Jawbreaker - best wind/dry eye protection but still an issue after 1.5 hours
Oakley Radar - didnt work, now are my back up pair
Was she using the vented lenses? Dunno if they make a difference, just curious.

I was going to say Racing Jackets work pretty well for my sensitive eyes with contacts, but it looks like they've been discontinued.
I have my Racing Jacket fitted with prescription lenses.

Works well as I hate contacts.

Current version would be Field Jackets if you want prescription sunnies with wind protection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

siwong1210

by siwong1210

Sutro for sure if you're looking for that full coverage. Roka's got some deals on their 1X range, but they're okay quality. Way overpriced on the overall quality and their customer support is meh.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Still hoping Oakley comes to their senses with Sutro 2.0 and adds rubber to the stems.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

siwong1210 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:51 am
Sutro for sure if you're looking for that full coverage. Roka's got some deals on their 1X range, but they're okay quality. Way overpriced on the overall quality and their customer support is meh.
I've been using Roka SL-1x glasses for quite a while now. Definitely get them on sale or with a Stava coupon or something. I think they're decent if you can get them on sale. I also like that you can get custom colors. I have two different lenses, including the photoshift lense (which is GREAT for dark morning commutes).

I, too, wanted a pair of glasses that were good in the aero position. In my opinion, DO NOT get any glasses with a top frame as that always impaired my view. If you get Roka, get the 1X version of the GP or SL to add some height which helps shield your eyes when aero.
Wilier Cento10AIR Rim Brake - SRAM Force AXS
BMC GF02 - Ultegra R8000 - Commuter/Trainer

Strava link: https://www.strava.com/athletes/jmeinholdt

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

flying wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:30 am

For sure we are all more than allowed to spend on anything we want.

I only this year finally broke a set of Oakley's I bought near 2001-2004

But........That was bought before Luxottica bought Oakley & jacked prices 1000%
Same as the metal frame real glass Ray Bans I always bought for under $100 before Luxottica bought Ray Ban

Lastly the main point I am making is if brand is wiped aside most would agree "the nice stuff"
is quite common quality with things selling for a penny to the dollar non-name brand compared to "name" brands

If you want to salvage those frames, try a product called "Bondic", it's basically a composite weld.

flying

by flying

UpFromOne wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 pm
If you want to salvage those frames, try a product called "Bondic", it's basically a composite weld.
Thanks but I just tossed them out a day or two ago

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Looking for some new glasses so thought I'd hijack/join this thread rather than start a new.

Currently ride with SunGod Pacebreakers.
I really like the side to side vision (great for those quick over the shoulder glances) as they have no frame at the side (my old fake Oakley flight jackets had terrible side vision, but they were also terrible fakes)
I'm now looking for something with a bit more coverage, I don't mind big glasses but don't like the Sutro. (I don't mind glasses that are garish, but obviously everything is "within reason" to somebody).
Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Specialized Allez 2013
Scott Foil Disc 2019

robeambro

by robeambro

kgt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:59 am
BTW many NOS glasses are awesome.
I have a pair of Brancale and they are both the lightest (28gr) and the highest quality glasses (including their amazing lenses tested by my optician) I ever had. And I got them for 20 euros.

Is it possible to "black out" the naming? Glasses look great otherwise but don't like to have something written like that..

kgt

by kgt

Maybe it is but why? Brancale was a legend of glasses, helmets and shoes back in the 198s and 1990s.

robeambro

by robeambro

kgt wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Maybe it is but why? Brancale was a legend of glasses, helmets and shoes back in the 198s and 1990s.
Oh I'm sure they are a legendary brand! I confess I was too little at the time so I'd never heard of them.

However it's not that I'm against their brand specifically, it's just an aesthetic preference, I'm not a big lover of text branding in most cases, for example I like the design of Santini but am quite allergic to their logo so won't probably ever buy from them.

I'll surely keep these glasses in mind.

kgt

by kgt

Ok, I see. It is true that this pair of glasses are rather minimal in terms of 1990s : )
Talking about Santini, they offer a few minimal clothing lines with tiny logos:

by Weenie

flying

by flying

I recently tried some Jackson Nemesis Safety glasses in smoke, clear & amber & was amazed how how great they were for cycling

Crazy inexpensive as in Under $10
Of course being safety glasses means safe for cycling/shatterproof etc etc
Comfortable,light I cannot say anything bad about them & style is similar to glasses Ive had

I have been using their Nemesis
https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/kleenguard-nemesis/

They have this SG too which may be the same?
https://www.jacksonsafety.com/eye-protection/SG