Cycling Glasses Recomendations - Aero Position

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

Some of the guys like the 100% stuff but like someone else said the finish will flake.

I like my Oakley evzero. Frameless is the way to go. Nothing to block your vision. Also the prism road lens is really nice.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

nickf wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:02 pm
Some of the guys like the 100% stuff but like someone else said the finish will flake.

I like my Oakley evzero. Frameless is the way to go. Nothing to block your vision. Also the prism road lens is really nice.

Note the only finishes that will flake are the fancy metallic / oil slick ones like the Sagan LEs. I think 100% sunglasses are fine besides that and the "brand new" smell. The smell might be inherited from the foam inside the carrying case.

Stylewise, the Sutros are my favorite frames right now. Just don't have a narrow, slippery face.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Looking for recomendations for riding glasses.
My partner has contacts and whenever we road ride she complains of very dry eyes from wind getting past the glasses she wears.
She has worn the following glasses with variable results
Oakley Jawbreaker - best wind/dry eye protection but still an issue after 1.5 hours
Oakley Radar - didnt work, now are my back up pair
Smith Pivlok - no luck at all
Generic Wayfarer shapped lense casual glasses - super windy, as expected

Looking into other large lense options, but im not convinced anything will give better coverage than Jawbreakers, they are massive.
Next options list
Roka has 4 versions of the 1X model line with a large lense
Bolle Chronoshield and Shifter
100% has a ton of options

I dont have issues with my radarlocks so i am hitting a road block on what else to try, short of those with foam liners to seal off the outer edges, or maybe a pair of swimming/skiing goggles.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Contacts + cycling really suck and dry eyes are a thing. The only solution that has worked for some of my friends is just to buy prescription sunglasses from sportrx or something similar. I just ride without contacts on LOL.

dim

by dim

watch this:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

okimy

by okimy

Rapha Pro team Arenberg glasses have worked really well for me. I ride with contacts and never had a problem with dry eyes, they also have good coverage but tend to fog up when you don't keep moving on colder days. It might be difficult getting your hands on them as they seem to have been discontinued.
Bolle Cronoshield is probably worth a shot as they are massive and the brow bar foam thingy might help a bit too. I also have a Giro Vanquish visor lying around, that might be worth a shot if you want to get a new helmet aswell. The helmet is good but I haven't worn the visor yet so no feedback on that I'm afraid.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

thanks and that's an interesting video but not too surprising. In other industries there's one big name behind all the more consumer known names, however that video doesnt really give any suggestions for my stated issue.

Konsi

by Konsi

Since I bought a TT-helmet with a visor for triathlons, I am seriously considering getting a helmet with visor for normal road riding as well. It works very well with my normal glasses, no wind, no insects, nothing gets close to the eyes.

TheRich

by TheRich

wpccrunner wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:30 pm
Looking for recomendations for riding glasses.
My partner has contacts and whenever we road ride she complains of very dry eyes from wind getting past the glasses she wears.
She has worn the following glasses with variable results
Oakley Jawbreaker - best wind/dry eye protection but still an issue after 1.5 hours
Oakley Radar - didnt work, now are my back up pair
Was she using the vented lenses? Dunno if they make a difference, just curious.

I was going to say Racing Jackets work pretty well for my sensitive eyes with contacts, but it looks like they've been discontinued.

nickf

by nickf

MIght help to try different brand contact lenses. Took me 3 brands before I found one that worked. Biofinity in the left eye and Acuvue for the right. Your optometrist should be able to provide samples to try. I can ride all day now without my contract bothering me one bit.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I’d seriously highly encourage you to bring a helmet and try a few different ones at stores. You’d be surprised to find that the one that fits best is not necessarily the coolest model or brands. Bollé fit me well without a helmet on. Have tried 15+ models of Oakleys and only one have fit me well, was free of obstructions when looking forward or to the side, and did not make me look like a Martian. In the end trial and error seems to be the winning combo for me. As a consequence I now have a collection of glasses dating back to the 80’s

flying

by flying

dim wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 pm
watch this:
Explains a lot.....especially as I always bought Ray Ban's in the 90's then suddenly price went nuts
I did not know that was because Luxottica bought them :noidea:

kgt

by kgt

BTW many NOS glasses are awesome.
I have a pair of Brancale and they are both the lightest (28gr) and the highest quality glasses (including their amazing lenses tested by my optician) I ever had. And I got them for 20 euros.

flying

by flying

kgt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:59 am
BTW many NOS glasses are awesome.
I have a pair of Brancale and they are both the lightest (28gr) and the highest quality glasses (including their amazing lenses tested by my optician) I ever had. And I got them for 20 euros.
I agree & have found the same.

If one can get past the fanboy/name brand mentality & judge by form , fit & function I think most would be hard
pressed to not agree in a test where glasses were put on your face without you knowing the brand.

Bottom line is most "sport" type sunglasses are inexpensive plastic framed, plastic lens items.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Look at Tifosi as well. Superb glasses, 1/3 of the cost, and the best warranty in the industry. Made in USA as well