Homemade gels.. Anyone?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JamieG

by JamieG

robeambro wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:52 am
JamieG wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 am
My homemade gel was something like:

- 4 oz honey
- 1 oz blackstrap molasses
- 1/8 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 tbsp water
- Few drops vanilla extract for flavour
I've read about blackstrap molasses, but I don't think I've quite ever seen it. Doesn't help that I don't speak the local language of the country I live in (Netherlands), but I can't recall seeing it in the UK either.

Did you have to cook this mixture or it would just be a case of mixing things up?
(from a quick google search) https://en.unlimitedhealth.nl/molasses- ... -gram.html

No need to cook anything, but it helps to warm the honey a little bit in order to make mixing easier. A few seconds in the microwave does the trick.

robeambro

by robeambro

JamieG wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:12 am
robeambro wrote:
JamieG wrote:

- 4 oz honey
- 1 tbsp water
I've read about blackstrap molasses, but I don't think I've quite ever seen it. Doesn't help that I don't speak the local language of the country I live in (Netherlands), but I can't recall seeing it in the UK either.

Did you have to cook this mixture or it would just be a case of mixing things up?
(from a quick google search) https://en.unlimitedhealth.nl/molasses- ... -gram.html

No need to cook anything, but it helps to warm the honey a little bit in order to make mixing easier. A few seconds in the microwave does the trick.
Thanks, seems like an easy recipe if no cooking involved! Yes I had found them online, but not in supermarkets -yet. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I use maltodextrin and water in normal water bottles for long rides. You can put 400g of malto in a large bottle and still drink it through the spout.

I add salt, and some fructose and rasperry syrup for taste.

For a recent 9.5hr, 250k ride, I had 2 750ml bottles with 350g maltodextrin each and a 3rd bottle with water only, and I only had to refill water once. I also ate 2 bananas and some Haribo, but didn't empty the 2nd bottle. I actually was not really hungry after the ride.

I don't really like the taste of the malto drink, but when I use rice cakes or other solid foods, I feel like I'm having to eat all the time, and after a few hours I get stomach problems.

LouisN

by LouisN

Pure maple syrup in a gel bottle. Best thing ever :beerchug:

Louis :)

robeambro

by robeambro

I thought I was the only one wanting to go nuts with these, but I see there's plenty of people who have tried going homemade!

mag

by mag

LouisN wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szmtB9Yggq8&t=5

kytyree

by kytyree

LouisN wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 pm

And it's cheaper than Untapped gels! At least it is at the market near me.

I've been blending water, espresso and maple syrup in a reusable tube and I'm very happy with it.

dim

by dim

robeambro wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 am
dim wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:31 pm
not a gel, but this is used to replace electrolytes:

juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan salt (I use normal coarse salt from a salt grinder)
1/2 cup of coconut water

not my recipe, but I found this on a forum and the person who posted the recipe says it's very good
Interesting.. To be honest this is another thing I've thought of doing, just to spruce up my water bidon with some lemon/salt.
Why coconut water though? Just for flavour, or does it have some particular nutrient I'm unaware of?
I'm not sure why they add coconut water ... as mentioned, it was a recipe that someone posted on another forum .... I've stuck to the recipe (except I used a different salt) .... not sure if it works, but I never had any complications or cramps etc after long rides in hot sun using this recipe
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

AJS914

by AJS914

They add coconut water because it contains electrolytes. From googling:
Natural coconut water contains five key electrolytes: sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Coconut water is packed with potassium, more than found in one banana or 15 sport drinks.

JamieG

by JamieG

robeambro wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 am
JamieG wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:12 am
robeambro wrote:
JamieG wrote:

- 4 oz honey
- 1 tbsp water

Thanks, seems like an easy recipe if no cooking involved! Yes I had found them online, but not in supermarkets -yet. :noidea:
I think I had to go to a health food store or an organic food store to find some.

Finx

by Finx

I put pure natural Vermont Maple Syrup in the gel flasks.

Great source of carbs and some natural electrolytes and easily digestible.

Yummy is a nice bonus too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Conza

by Conza

Simple. Go keto, get fat adapted.
Don't need any gels.

https://youtu.be/n8BY4fyLvZc
It's all about the adventure :o .