Help to decide on Lightweight Packable Rain Jacket for Dolomites Trip

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

I'm off to the Dolomites next month, based in Bormio for 3 days and then moving onto Arraba for the rest of the week.

I've ridden in the Alps and the Pryanees, so am familar how quickly the weather can change on the high mountains. On previous trips we've always had access to a van at the top of the high mountains, so I've been able to change clothing and put on suitable gear at the top of the descents if required.

Unfortunately for our trip next month we have to be self sufficent, which means I need to be able to carry what I need. The most important item that I'm missing from my cycling wardrobe is a packable lighweight breathable Waterproof Jacket.

There's a few articles on this forum where I've read the reviews the general consensur is that the Gore Shakedry is the best material and I've narrowed it down to one of the following;

Gore Wear C7 Shakedry Stretch
7 Mesh Oro

I am also considering the recently released Rapha Pro Team Lightweight Shadow Jacket (I know this is only water resistance and not fully waterproof but it would be good to get an opinion if anyone has purchased one recently). This Jacket was used by EF during the Classics Season. Unsually I can't find any reviews for the jacket on the Rapha site or in any of the typical media websites.

Are there any owners of these jackets that can provide an insight into these jackets and help me decide?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

I got the Gore Gore-Tex C7 Shakedry Stretch a short while ago. Haven’t had a change to test it yet, but it seems like a very good jacket and definetly worth the money. The back pocket is meant for essentials only as it’s rather small, but the jacket’s cut accomodates full jersey pockets. The jacket packs down very well and fits into a jersey pocket, as long as the jersey isn’t crazy tight racing fit.

I do recommend trying one on if you’re not sure about sizing. I trusted the size chart and ordered one in - size L is sized exactly like the chart says around chest and hips and fits me very well based on that, but still, it would’ve been interesting to try size M. As it is a stretchy jacket, I might have been able to fit into that as well. But I guess size L allows some more air inside, which keeps me warmer when the proper rain hits. I bought it for long days in the Alps as well, so I guess I’ll usually have quite full jersey pockets as well.

In my opinion one thing missing on it are adjustable sleeve cuffs as they aren’t tight around my wrists. I would like to have the ability to close the cuffs completely to preserve body heat, but the cuffs are functionally cut and most likely don’t let much wind to blow up the sleeves anyway.

nickf

by nickf

Just picked up a Endura packable rain jacket. Great fit and packs into a small pouch. Has sealed seams, and is waterproof.
FS260-pro

TonyM

by TonyM

I have a GoreTex shakedry (the regular version, no stretch). Just superb!! 100% waterproof and an incredibly breathable. And so light and small. Not sure how small the stretch version is however.
The 7 Mesh use the same material.

markdjr

by markdjr

I liked the fit of the 7Mesh over the Gore personally (Tall/Skinny)

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Wiggle had the 7 Mesh Oro on offer so i ordered that today to try for size.

I’ll let you everyone know what i think when i try it out.

Jugi

by Jugi

I got to try my C7 through a couple of drizzles during my morning commute today. The rain was so light it didn’t soak up my socks during 75 minutes of riding without shoecovers, so the jacket kept me quite comfortable. I remain intrigued about trying a smaller size, just to find out how much it would restrict movement in riding position. The size I have didn’t feel restrictive or a hindrance, but in a perfect world I wouldn’t mind little less material around my shoulders.

Jugi

by Jugi

As a follow-up to my previous post - today I got some proper rain while on the road. Completely wet roads for 39 km and almost continous rain for 70 minutes. A pretty stiff tailwind accompanied me for the whole ride, so not much windchill although the temperature was +8-9°C. The C7 Shakedry Stretch continued to impress - even with a couple of short efforts along the way, the jacket kept me comfortable in pretty dreary conditions.

It is turning out to be a game-changing piece of riding kit for me. Previously I have been quite reluctant to ride my commute in wet conditions and chilly mornings are usually a bit hard to dress for. This jacket takes most of the chilly/wet morning's nastyness away, and packs easily into a jersey pocket in the afternoon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com