Question re sealant and inflating tyres

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

parajba

by parajba

I just had my bike serviced and asked the LBS to top up the Orange sealant. Tyres are Conti 5000 TL in size 25mm.

They I injected around 100 grams (the bottle has now 136 grams left, I put the bottle on a scale). Full bottle is 236ml which I believe is close to 236 grams.

I inflated like I always did and the sealant sprayed everywhere. Valve was at 6pm. Never happened before. I turned it to 9pm and it stopped. So I managed to inflate it.

Does this mean that I have too much sealant in the tyres? I had sealant before and always inflated at 6pm and never happened to have a spray or orange stuff.

Background: I had the bike delivered in Feb this year, and got them to put the sealant in at that time for the first time. I don’t know how much they put in back in Feb. I then took it for a service this week and requested a top up.

dim

by dim

its recomended that you use 30ml/tyre

why did your LBS not pump the tyres themselves? Did they add sealant and return your bike with no air in the wheels?

Always pump when the valve is at 9 O'clock or higher...

too much sealant won't harm anything ... but in future top up the sealant yourself (it's very easy)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

parajba wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 pm
I inflated like I always did and the sealant sprayed everywhere. Valve was at 6pm. Never happened before. I turned it to 9pm and it stopped. So I managed to inflate it.
You've probably got some sealant jamming the valve slightly, so when you remove the pump, the core is slightly open and you have a nice frothy mix of air and sealant (as you've been blowing air into the pool of sealant and frothing it up.) You've been lucky up to now. "Best practice" is something like 8 oclock so a) no pool of sealant under the valve. b) any sealant in the valve will run into the tyre. Only thing to worry about is a jammed valve.

Also, frothing the sealant up probably doesn't do it much good.
parajba wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 pm
Does this mean that I have too much sealant in the tyres?
Unlikely, the original fill will have mostly evaporated (most of it is liquid, solids is around 15-20%) You've just got a combination of slightly off factors.

I usually take valves out on a semi frequent basis and either give them a clean or replace them.
Top up takes a minute or two once every 4-6 months.

Point

by Point

not intending to to thread hijack, just curious... How do you know when you're due a topup?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

mattr

by mattr

Take the wheel off the bike and do the "stans shake" if you can't hear the sealant moving round for the entire wobbling process you *probably* need a top up.
https://youtu.be/EUtKp22cf_k?t=102

1:43 to 1:52

This is probably not applicable for thicker sealants.

zefs

by zefs

If you use a thin sealant like Bontrager TLR it lasts ~6 months or so in high temps. Thicker ones last half as that but could seal bigger holes although there are a lot of variables like how much sealant is required to get a proper seal on different wheel/tire combinations, how much psi you use on the tires, riding temperatures etc.

So topping up every 3 months with 30-40ml as an average is probably a good choice, although you should be carrying tubeless plugs for repairs and not count on sealant, just like people that use tubes carry another instead of repairing the puncture on the road.

Point

by Point

Plugs are next on the purchase list, any recomendations on kits? I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same. I'll keep an eye on the sealant and try the "stans shake", I'm using stans sealant so the stans shake should presumably work. The sealant curing/drying, are we going to be noticing much additional weight topping up? Or is it negligible, guessing the tyre will wear out before the weight is noticeable?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

mattr

by mattr

Negligible weight. 50 ml of sealant will have less than 10 grams of solids.

zefs

by zefs

Point wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:13 pm
Plugs are next on the purchase list, any recomendations on kits? I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same. I'll keep an eye on the sealant and try the "stans shake", I'm using stans sealant so the stans shake should presumably work. The sealant curing/drying, are we going to be noticing much additional weight topping up? Or is it negligible, guessing the tyre will wear out before the weight is noticeable?
I've used Genuine Innovations but other's don't like them (small punctures), other options are Weldtite (one size) or Maxalami which come with 2 sizes (thin/thick) so you use the correct size for the puncture. Dynaplug (racer) seems to work best but it's more expensive.

MrMagura

by MrMagura

Actually, the trick is to put the valve between 7 and 8 o'clock, when pumping tires that contains sealant.
Like that you don't risk to get the sealant at the bottom of the wheel in your face, and if there was a bit of sealant in the valve stem, it would have run back into the tire, so you don't get that served neither.
This also keeps the chuck clean.....mostly :D

mattr

by mattr

:lol: i already said that........ ;)

MrMagura

by MrMagura

Sorry, missed that one.
That answer was on auto pilot :D

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

Point wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 pm
not intending to to thread hijack, just curious... How do you know when you're due a topup?
Check it every 3 months. Deflate, pull the valve core, put the valve at 6 o'clock. Stick a zip tie in the valve core, it acts as a dip stick, the little groves hold the fluid well.
No need to break the bead, its a good check.

Point

by Point

DeeHubbs wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:18 am
Point wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 pm
Check it every 3 months. Deflate, pull the valve core, put the valve at 6 o'clock. Stick a zip tie in the valve core, it acts as a dip stick, the little groves hold the fluid well.
No need to break the bead, its a good check.
This is genius! Will have to try out this technique. Shame this wasn't done on initial fill up to know what the starting amount was. I'm 100% a tubeless convert now after experiencing a splash of latex on my leg whilst riding, and yet getting no puncture.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

40 to 50 ml for me. 30ml of sealant like dim uses saves weight but its a light loss. Such a load can leave you without sealant. If you have plugs (maxalami for me) then dried up sealant is a non issue. Had that many times.

Too much sealant is annoying but live with it. It will dry out eventually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com