Trump tarrif now affect bike parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not good news. The new USA tarriffs of 25% will affect bicycles, rims, wheels, spokes and tyres. Many some other bicycle components are affected

So that's farsport wheels going up possibly depending on declared value, various tyres rims from h plus son and others (is HED affected) and of course many frames/bikes will be affected by this. A bad day for the bike trade globally. The result could be dumping in European markets which affect retailers and manufactures here.

Trade wars help no one in the long run.

mattr

by mattr

Was only a matter of time.
Just wait until Brexit happens (if it does) that's going to give massive price hikes and huge parts availability issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Thankfully tires are not affected. ;-)

Aren't more tires out of Thiland, Germany, and France? Not sure about the raws, but most of the value-add will be non-CN

ms6073

by ms6073

While I admit that some of China's predatory trade practices such as transfer of intelectual property needed reform, but with every passing day I am growing more convinced that Trump's plan is nothing more than a grand 'insider trading' scheme. While spinning these trade negotiations as being in the national interest, I can't help but think he is leveraging the power of his office siimply to manipulate the global economy allowing his business interests to anticipate all the market swings that result because of his policy shifts!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

robertbb

by robertbb

ms6073 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:38 pm
While I admit that some of China's predatory trade practices such as transfer of intelectual property needed reform, but with every passing day I am growing more convinced that Trump's plan is nothing more than a grand 'insider trading' scheme. While spinning these trade negotiations as being in the national interest, I can't help but think he is leveraging the power of his office siimply to manipulate the global economy allowing his business interests to anticipate all the market swings that result because of his policy shifts!
Of course this is entirely exclusive to Trump and no other world leader - US or otherwise - has used their office for personal gain. Particularly Obama, clean as a whistle that guy... :roll:

(No personal dig at you... just kinda over the narrative of Trump being the only crooked politician to ever have lived)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

These tariffs are kinda ruining small businesses... During the first round of tariffs, small fabricators were suddenly being gouged by US metal suppliers because of decreased competition. Companies like Light & Motion that sourced Chinese electronics, but manufactured their lights in the US are now just having their products made overseas. Lights are safety equipment and exempt from tariffs (but the component electronics aren't.)

fa63

by fa63

My buddy became a dealer for Marin Bicycles recently, and one of the things their sales rep brought up was that their bikes are made in the Philippines and therefore wouldn't be subject to price uncertainty from potential trade showdowns with China...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fa63 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:45 am
My buddy became a dealer for Marin Bicycles recently, and one of the things their sales rep brought up was that their bikes are made in the Philippines and therefore wouldn't be subject to price uncertainty from potential trade showdowns with China...

If all of Marin's competitors start selling bikes at a higher price, so will Marin. Also I very much doubt that all or even most of Marin's bikes come from the Philippines. If this is true, Marin will stand to benefit, not so much the consumer.

benzebub

by benzebub

robertbb wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Of course this is entirely exclusive to Trump and no other world leader - US or otherwise - has used their office for personal gain. Particularly Obama, clean as a whistle that guy... :roll:

(No personal dig at you... just kinda over the narrative of Trump being the only crooked politician to ever have lived)
No, but if you claim you are going to "drain the swamp" and proceed to fill the swamp with more sludge you could/should expect this kind of blowback.
But I could be wrong

robertbb

by robertbb

benzebub wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:21 pm
robertbb wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 pm
ms6073 wrote:

No, but if you claim you are going to "drain the swamp" and proceed to fill the swamp with more sludge you could/should expect this kind of blowback.
Again, this isn't exclusive to Trump (despite you having taken poetic liberty with his campaign slogan).

Every politician takes policy in the direction they see fit. Out with old policy/personell, in with new policy/personell. Presumably they implement the policy they promised, and the personell are appointed within the rules. In a democracy, voters then have an opportunity to judge the performance and conduct of the politician according to the established process for that electoral juristiction, some time within the maximum timeframe alloted to that elected administration per the constitution. As far as I know, this remains true for the United States.

Anyway... I love bikes :beerchug:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I love that politcal whataboutism has infected this thread too.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:45 am
fa63 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:45 am

If all of Marin's competitors start selling bikes at a higher price, so will Marin. Also I very much doubt that all or even most of Marin's bikes come from the Philippines. If this is true, Marin will stand to benefit, not so much the consumer.
Yeah, there seems to be a kind of "keeping up with the joneses" that goes on with pricing, regardless of manufacturing costs. Regarding country of origin, it is my understanding that Marin has some sort of relationship with Polygon, with Polygon even perhaps owning some percentage of Marin. Polygon has their production mos def based on the Philippines.

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 am
I love that politcal whataboutism has infected this thread too.
Sorry, I was not trying to derail the conversation with my ill timed political rant. :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Stihl

by Stihl

ms6073 wrote:While I admit that some of China's predatory trade practices such as transfer of intelectual property needed reform, but with every passing day I am growing more convinced that Trump's plan is nothing more than a grand 'insider trading' scheme. While spinning these trade negotiations as being in the national interest, I can't help but think he is leveraging the power of his office siimply to manipulate the global economy allowing his business interests to anticipate all the market swings that result because of his policy shifts!
Agreed brother. Tarriffs are an expensive smoke screen. It won't work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looking forward,
Stihl

Stihl

by Stihl

robertbb wrote:
ms6073 wrote:

#45 is the worst president in history.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looking forward,
Stihl

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com