Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Maddie

by Maddie

Anyone know how to stop these "lost satellites" notifications on the 530?

by Weenie

Point

by Point

I'd be keen to know that too, it's quite annoying. The same with the phone on bluetooth disconnecting and reconnecting constantly.
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

Sojodave

by Sojodave

I've got the Garmin Edge 830 and I'm having issues with my speed sensor. It kicks in after about 5 miles. I'm not sure what to do to get the sensor to connect when I first start my ride. Does anyone have any suggestions?

kytyree

by kytyree

Are you making sure the sensor is awake before you start?

AJS914

by AJS914

Here's a 530/830 question. How often do you use the buttons on the front edge? They are the standard start/stop and lap buttons? I have a 510 with the buttons on the top. I'm thinking that if I got a 530 or 830 that I might have to get new mounts because a 530/830 would be too close to my stem. Is this an issue? My 510 is actually 3.4 inches long whereas the 530 is 3.2 inches so there might be a smidge more room.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Sojodave wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:55 pm
I've got the Garmin Edge 830 and I'm having issues with my speed sensor. It kicks in after about 5 miles. I'm not sure what to do to get the sensor to connect when I first start my ride. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What sensor do you have and do you have another device that you can test it with? I had a speed/cadence sensor that was dying that would sometimes take a while to connect and intermittently disconnect regardless of if the battery was new or old. Would do it with multiple computers, which is how I knew it was the sensor.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Sojodave

by Sojodave

I got my Garmin 830 at Christmas time and I initially used it on a few cold rides and it worked perfectly with my Sansung S9. I was so confident that I sold my Wahoo Bolt. This Spring, I have yet to be able to sync up a ride through bluetooth. I'ved tried everything I know from unpairing on the phone, deleting the device in Connect, deleting Connect and reloading, updating through Express and of course calling Garmin with no results. My Wahoo Bolt updated and synced 100% of the time after every ride. I really hate having to connect it to a computer to get the ride to sync. I think my only hope is that the next update will somehow magically fix this problem.

sychen

by sychen

Have you checked if the phone is the issue?

Is it seeing the garmin? Tried another phone? Too many BT devices on the phone that wasn't been removed from the list?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

My 510 never syncs on command. I finish a ride, have the 510 connected to the phone, have the Garmin Connect app running, and nothing. Then, at some random time afterwards it will just sync.

nebula2

by nebula2

Also check battery settings for the Connect app on your S9.

Settings -> Apps -> Connect -> Battery -> Optimise Battery Usage, then switch Connect to 'Not Optimized'

kode54

by kode54

Everytime Garmin puts out a firmware update, I have to go over my BT connection. But again, I have an older 810.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

jlok

by jlok

My 1030 (APAC) started to work very well since v7.5.... that means I was a full retail beta tester for 1 yr... I think I won't get the next Garmin device until it's 1yo.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Sojodave wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:00 am
I got my Garmin 830 at Christmas time and I initially used it on a few cold rides and it worked perfectly with my Sansung S9. I was so confident that I sold my Wahoo Bolt. This Spring, I have yet to be able to sync up a ride through bluetooth. I'ved tried everything I know from unpairing on the phone, deleting the device in Connect, deleting Connect and reloading, updating through Express and of course calling Garmin with no results. My Wahoo Bolt updated and synced 100% of the time after every ride. I really hate having to connect it to a computer to get the ride to sync. I think my only hope is that the next update will somehow magically fix this problem.
I had the same issue - either after an update or just after several rides my phone wouldn't connect. Someone mentioned shutting off the wifi on the garmin unit. Since I did that I haven't had a problem syncing.
Speedplay is the devil!

Sojodave

by Sojodave

I deleted my Garmin 830 from Connect. Reconnected the unit to the phone and it seems to be working. I just hope it stays connected on future rides.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My 830’s power button got crunchy and would stick in the depressed position. Used some chain lube to free it up again...heh.

by Weenie