Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I still have an 820 and find the touchscreen ok... not as good as the 1030 ... 520 sucked pretty much all around for me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 pm
I still have an 820 and find the touchscreen ok... not as good as the 1030 ... 520 sucked pretty much all around for me.
One thing I have noticed is the 830 doesn't have sensitivity options for its touchscreen while the 1030 has low/medium/high. I don't think that in itself makes much of a difference because I keep the 1030 on medium and it's fine. There's some lower level timing/setting issue making my touchscreen experience slightly worse on the 830...probably something that can be addressed in firmware, or also by licking my fingertip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 pm
One thing I have noticed is the 830 doesn't have sensitivity options for its touchscreen while the 1030 has low/medium/high. I don't think that in itself makes much of a difference because I keep the 1030 on medium and it's fine. There's some lower level timing/setting issue making my touchscreen experience slightly worse on the 830...probably something that can be addressed in firmware, or also by licking my fingertip.
No problem at all it have mobile phones sensitivity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 pm
I find the 830 touchscreen more finicky than my 1030 touchscreen, but the display is crisp and bright in comparison. Mainly my issue is sensitivity. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to register a press, and if I try to press/hold to scroll through a screen, it'll only register as a press (which results in advancing to another screen rather than scrolling.)
I have the same issue. Other than this (occasional) issue, it's been quite a nice upgrade from my 800. At one point I was riding my gravel bike through the woods and helped a utility crew find the location they were looking for because there was no cell reception and their gps wasn't getting a signal. The garmin worked and I was able to use the map to find what they were looking for.
Speedplay is the devil!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Juanmoretime wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:30 am
If you were a Boy Scout that sounds like you could have earned a merit badge. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
No Boy Scout jokes. It's a hard topic these days! :smartass:
Speedplay is the devil!

emorydptt

by emorydptt

Please click picture for details:

be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I sometimes don't receive the message for incoming text messages or phone calls. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and I haven't figured out why !

jlok

by jlok

Juanmoretime wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 am
I'm liking the Edge 530. I'm sure its just a setting. My Garmin does not automatically sync with Garmin Connect when I finish my ride and hit the end button bottom right then save using the top right button to save like my Garmn Edge 520 did. I have to launch Garmin Connect to get it to upload. Anyone know what I need to do? I'm a guy so reading the manual is a last resort.
If my 1030 is connected via Bluetooth to my phone installed with Garmin Connect, the activity will be synced to Garmin and Strava automatically when I touch Save Ride on the 1030.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kytyree

by kytyree

My 520+ is not that old, but I do want to fiddle with one of the new devices. Maybe I'll try the 830 as I haven't had one of the touch screen Garmins before.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

It was recently brought to my attention that the new Garmins have two Bluetooth connections that need to be paired and once I did this I was getting the upload to my Garmin Connect App as soon as I saved the ride well at least most times depending where I am located at that moment. I was having the same issues with my 530 not loading once I saved the ride but not an issue now.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

jlok

by jlok

kytyree wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:59 pm
My 520+ is not that old, but I do want to fiddle with one of the new devices. Maybe I'll try the 830 as I haven't had one of the touch screen Garmins before.
Luckily you didn't try the 820. The touch screen is horrible and the CPU is slow. It takes next to forever to compute navigation.

The 530/830 are "real" successors to the 500 and 810. Long battery life, better screen, faster operations and CIQ apps.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bikeboy1tr wrote:It was recently brought to my attention that the new Garmins have two Bluetooth connections that need to be paired and once I did this I was getting the upload to my Garmin Connect App as soon as I saved the ride well at least most times depending where I am located at that moment. I was having the same issues with my 530 not loading once I saved the ride but not an issue now.
I have two BT connections but I still have the upload issue. When I finish my ride with the phone in the garage, once I come within BT range my phone only shows one of those two BT connections as being connected. The 830 would only upload once I open the GC app., at which point both BT connections will show connections. It’s annoying the heck out of me. My 520 has no such issue. The ride is uploaded as soon as I save it and come within BT range to the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Yesterday I had to power the 530 down and then wait for a minute, power back up, go into History, then rides and select for it to load the ride. I have had to do this with my 510 in the past as well. I know this is irritating and I do have the connection to my Garmin App but still every so often this is what I have to resort too.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

kytyree

by kytyree

Yes, I usually at minimum have the garmin app running in the background on my phone after a ride. But I still have to do something manually either via the phone or Garmin to make sure it uploads. Other times by the time I set my stuff down back inside the house the ride is there. It works but I've yet to figure out why it can be so random.

Early this week I had a first with the 520+, all of my bluetooth connections dropped out mid-ride completely at the same time. Same setup I usually ride with, wasn't doing anything important enough to fool with it much but worked fine the next time I used it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

kytyree wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm
Other times by the time I set my stuff down back inside the house the ride is there. It works but I've yet to figure out why it can be so random.
This happens to me frequently with my 510. Now when I get home I plug in the 510 to charge it and I put my phone (iphone) on it's charger and usually within 10 minutes they sync. Like you said, sometimes it just happens immediately. Sometimes after a few minutes. Sometimes I force it by launching Garmin Connect. Occasionally, I shut down the Garmin and then restart it and it will usually sync after that. There's no rhyme or reason to it.