Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

Love the bike theft alarm!
Hopefully in the next firmware update for my 820.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilson

by gwilson

kode54 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:00 pm
Garmin kept the size the same...and the jump in size to the 1030 is a bit much. I like my current 810 size...which is inbetween the 820 and 1030. I wonder if Garmin is making an inbetween size or sticking to the current line up.
They didn't keep the size the same, the 530 and 830 are both larger than their predecessors. Picture per dcrainmaker:

robertbb

by robertbb

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 pm
robertbb wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Also it doesn't do TSS/IF/NP or L/R power balance, and a few other important metrics. The hardware is already there.

Simple firmware upgrade. If they add it, I'll upgrade, otherwise sticking to my 500.

Yes it’s missing Cycling Dynamics display capabilities, but given the target market of those who just want a simple unit the works, I think that’s ok.
They can keep Cycling Dynamics, what about just 3s, 5s, 10s power, L/R balance, and TSS/IF/NP???

Oh well, if my Edge 500 ever dies I have another new one in the box. :D

TonyM

by TonyM

gwilson wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:00 pm
Garmin kept the size the same...and the jump in size to the 1030 is a bit much. I like my current 810 size...which is inbetween the 820 and 1030. I wonder if Garmin is making an inbetween size or sticking to the current line up.
They didn't keep the size the same, the 530 and 830 are both larger than their predecessors. Picture per dcrainmaker:

If the attachment is in the middle for all that may be tight for the new Garmin on some mounts....(it is already tight for my 820 on my K-Edge when pressing the lower buttons)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

According to the Garmin site the sizes are the same for the 820/830
830: 1.9” x 2.9” x 0.8” (49.0 x 73.0 x 21.0 mm) https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/621232#specs
820: 1.9” x 2.9” x 0.8” (49.0 x 73.0 x 21.0 mm) https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543199#specs
530: 1.9" x 3.2" x 0.8" (50 x 82 x 20 mm) https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/621224#specs

According to Garmin, the 820/830 are the same size but I suspect that they will be updating the site soon. The 530 is probably the same size as the 830.

snaxez

by snaxez

US Garmin site seems to have mixed up info. It should be like this:
520 49 x 73 x 21 mm 2.3 inch screen and 200 x 265 pixels
530 50 x 82 x 20 mm 2.6 inch screen and 246 x 322 pixels
820 49 x 73 x 21 mm 2.3 inch screen and 200 x 265 pixels
830 50 x 82 x 20 mm 2.6 inch screen and 246 x 322 pixels
1000 58 x 112 x 20 mm 3 inch screen and 240 x 400 pixels
1030 58 x 114 x 19 mm 3.5 inch screen and 282 x 470 pixels

maquisard

by maquisard

Are these resistive or capacitive touch screens. The latter just don't work in moist conditions, be that rain or humidity, even moist sweaty finger tips. I much prefer having tactile buttons to press. These can be easily identified by feel without having to look down at the computer and give feedback when pressed, a touch button does neither.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I get that idea that you do not have to look down at the computer with 'real' buttons, but wouldn't you looking at the computer if you are using any type of button?

My 820 works great in the rain. Better than I do at the moment.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

And Garmin has now updated the size of the 830.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Got my Garmin Edge 830. First impression- holy shit, this thing is huge compared to my 520. Second impression- holy shit, Garmin software is crap. I wasn't able to pair it to the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone. Then I Googled for a solution and found a YouTube video on pairing with an 800. After you turn off WiFi on your phone you'll be able to pair it using LTE. Voila and it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

1. How about the touch screen sensitivity and general operation responsiveness? the 820 sucks big time in this department...

2. How about battery consumption? % drop per 10km?

thxx
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Screen sensitivity is excellent. There's no need to press hard on the screen. Just a light touch registers a response. Responsiveness is OK....way better than the 510 which was my last Garmin touch-screen unit, but not nearly as responsive as my iPhone. As for battery life I haven't done a ride with it yet, but it's looking good because it took a while to charge from 77% to 100%. Charging time is usually correlated to the battery capacity. Tomorrow I'll be doing a ride with it and report back. I'll be riding the tandem tomorrow so that means just two sensors, Varia radar and Di2.

I will check now to see there's a new firmware for the 830.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Existing firmware was 2.40. There was a newer version (3.20) and I installed it. Also there's an updated cycle map for North America. But the file size is over 8gb and it says it would take 3 hours to download over my slow internet. So I won't be doing this for now.

One thing I noticed on the 830 is the ambient light sensor. It will automatically adjust the backlight level based on the ambient light. This is very nice and an upgrade from the 520. In the summer I ride in the evening when it's cooler, starting the ride before sunset and finishing the ride in the dark. Now I don't have to manually turn on the backlight.

One thing I was hoping from Garmin is an adjustable volume for alerts, such as an alert from my Varia radar. But there's no volume setting on the 830.

One nit pick I have is the curved edge and a very slippery plastic. This makes it very hard to hold onto the GPS with your hand. I can easily see the unit being dropped eventually. I might have to get a rubber case for it just so I can easily hold the unit.

EDIT: I see that Garmin sells a silicone case for the 830. This is a necessity and a must-have in order to avoid dropping the unit. The case will add weight to the unit :evil:

jlok

by jlok

Great stuff pdlpsher1! The traits are pretty much 1030 alike. I guess the CPU and RAM are really upgraded (faster routing calculations and general operations, more CIQ apps storage, maybe >10 CIQ datafields at the same time can you confirm?). New Sony GPS chipset is more power efficient according to dcrainmaker. That's why I'm interested in the battery % drop per 10km.

btw the turn-off-WiFi trick to use BT to link up with phone is typical Garmin software... always in beta at product launch and then become stable after 1yr of real-world user feedbacks, plus more features.

Anyway, 830 feels like the real successor to the 810.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I finished my first ride with the 830. I posted my impressions on DC Rainmaker and I'm sharing my findings here too.

Just got my 830 and did my first ride today. I found three bugs and I want to see if anyone had the same issue. I do have the latest firmware (3.20, upgraded from 2.40). I have a Quarq PM and I have the auto-calibrate prompt enabled. The 830 connects to the Quarq but it wouldn't show the calibrate prompt. On the 520 the auto-calibrate prompt works flawlessly. The second bug has to with Di2 D-Fly. I use the gear combo field and it was showing garbage gearing data. I proceeded to the Di2 sensor page and see there's an option for 'automatic' under gear setup and it was enabled. I disabled that option and reprogrammed my gearing manually. This method worked and it showed the correct gearing. On the 520 there's no 'automatic' option and the gear combo always displays the correct gearing. The gearing info. for each bike is selected under eTube. I'm under the impression that the correct gearing info. is sent to the 830. On the 520 there's a custom gearing setup but D-Fly gearing data will override any custom gearing you choose in the 520. If anyone can shed some light on how the D-Fly data is sent to the 830 that would be helpful. It seems to me that this is a bug in the 830 (i.e. when 'automatic' is enabled it shows garbage gearing data whereas the 520 shows the correct gearing). The last bug is pairing the 830 to the Garmin Connect app. on my iPhone. I couldn't get it to work. Then I did a Google and found an old video that showed a trick when pairing on a 800. The trick is to turn off WiFi completely on the iPhone. Then power down both the iPhone and the 800 (or 830 in my case). With only LTE as the available network on the iPhone it allowed Garmin Connect to pair with the 830. This is so odd since Garmin allowed this bug to exist from an 800 to the 830. Amazing.

The next few things are my observations and not bugs. I noticed the 830 would use BLE to connect to the Quarq PM. There's no option to choose BLE vs. ANT+. Is this normal? My 520 would use ANT+. I'm comfortable with ANT+ since I've never had any issues with ANT+ on the 520. Perhaps there's a way to turn off BLE on my Quarq but I haven't checked. Secondly, the two long edges on the 830 have a curve and a slippery plastic. I cannot hold the GPS securely. This isn't a problem on the 520 as the 520 has a rubber and button on the two long edges. It's very hard to hold the 830 securely. To mitigate the problem I used some friction black cotton tape (see the attached photo). This worked but it looks ugly. I suspect this issue is lessened on the 530 since there are buttons on the 530 to grab onto. The 830 lacks any buttons on the side. Another solution is to get the silicon case but it will add bulk and weight. Lastly the battery capacity on the 830 is amazing. Today I did a 44mi. ride, with an elapsed time of 2:43 and a moving time of 2:33, and the battery had 92% when I finished the ride (from 100% at the start). On the same ride the 520 showed 76% (from 100% at the start). I have two sensors enabled (D-Fly and Varia). No navigation but I do have the sharp bend warning enabled so perhaps it's using the navigation to detect the sharp bends. Impressive!