Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

gwilson

by gwilson

Has anyone else had problems getting their 530 to connect to their phone over Bluetooth? Mine often seems to cut in and out, and when I go into settings it sees my phone but just lists as "connecting" forever. Never had the problem on the same phone with my 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gwilson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:28 am
Has anyone else had problems getting their 530 to connect to their phone over Bluetooth? Mine often seems to cut in and out, and when I go into settings it sees my phone but just lists as "connecting" forever. Never had the problem on the same phone with my 520

Whenever I have problems uploading a ride, I just toggle BT on the phone off/on and it always connects after that.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just loaded the Connect IQ for the widget that controls the Radar and set up my default light preferences on my 530. Wondering if anyone has had any issues with the widgets on the head unit? It seemed to setup nicely np.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Maddie

by Maddie

I have the exact same issues you described one post earlier. But on Android...

Gesendet von meinem MAR-LX1A mit Tapatalk

dim

by dim

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:06 pm
I've heard of this problem in the past. When you say you tried a factory reset, what do you mean? There are several types of resets. Try the master reset, as provided in these instructions, and see if the problem comes back (note that you're supposed to leave the Edge outside for 20 minutes, to find the satellites).

https://www.gpsnation.com/support/gps-f ... reset.html

tried all the above to no avail.

problem solved now, there is a new release of software (15.3) that fixed the problem .... it was released a few days ago

I was ready to bin the Garmin :unbelievable:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

AJS914

by AJS914

This is software on which platform?

My 510 has had trouble syncing with my iphone lately.

jlok

by jlok

@Juanmoretime too bad... it looks like a 2nd hand 1030 could be much better than the 530 from a software stability perspective. The 1030 software is very stable now even with lots of CIQ datafields active. But that is without the Sony GPS chip I think.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I had issues w phone dropouts and not auto connecting to my 530. Updated software on both phone and garmin has fixed issue. Super stable and quick now. Don't have garmin connect running in background.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bilwit

by bilwit

oops wrong thread

sychen

by sychen

Sigh... 820 battery is in decline after 2 yrs of use. Probably get a battery replacement for now but there doesn't seem to be any awesome features to go to the 830 at this point as well as the wahoo roam being an option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I had a 820 and now a 830. It was well worth the money spent. Lots more information if you are into training and like data.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Juanmoretime wrote:Compared to my Garmin Edge 520 my Edge 530 is just a piece of garbage. Buttons that are too hard to push, have to turn on Gramin connect to get it to upload my ride. Just stops recording for no reason at all in about the same place but not consistantly. Some days I can ride thru this area no issies and others I look down and it stops recording and the fix to it tis to save what I have shut it down and reboot. Very frustrated and I've been a Gramin fan for years. Strongly considering going to the Wahoo Roam.

Talk me out of it or convince me to make the change.
Just go to 830 ! After my 520 that had only battery problem switch to bolt !! I remember the edge 500 to connect my sensor was a pain in the @@ the came the master problem ...... no connection with my elite trainer ! ! The answer was ‘ we know the problem we are workin ‘ no indoor trainer no training ! I sold it and go to 830 ! I have no issues at all ( P2max - speed ) everything is working as it should be !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

AJS914

by AJS914

I wish Garmin would get their act together. I've been sitting on the sidelines for a while now still using my 510. I guess I'm going to stay on the sidelines until the 510 croaks. I thought the 530 was the way to go. Maybe a cheap, used 520 would be fine. $400 for an 830 is pushing it for me (price wise).

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

So I'm looking at getting a 530 or 830.

I previoulsly had an 810 which I liked, but didn't like that they made the screen smaller for the 820. I currently have a 1000 and the original Wahoo Elemnt. Issues with lockups/crashing is what caused me to go to the Elemnt, but I've been plagued by loss of tracking due to the Wahoo app shutting down on my phone, and now battery life issues. The Elemnt is currently on it's way back to Wahoo for a warranty replacement. While I've been able to get the 1000 running again, and it doesn't seem to crash, I've been having "white screen of death" issues with it on startup. I can hold the power button until it reboots a few times and get it working, but it's inconsistent on how many reboots it takes to get it there.

I also have been extremely unhappy with the Wahoo's GPS accuracy. Stright line routes are fine, but 8 miles of single track and the Wahoo comes up about a mile short. My guess is that's the difference between GPS+GLONASS and smart recording on the Garmin and GPS only on the Wahoo.

My biggest complaint about the 1000 was the touch screen. I honestly feel like the 810 was better. In the wet, or if sweat gets on it, it's horible. Only thing worse is my iphone. Screen locks due to water/sweat, then I can't get to anything on it.

So, here's where I'm at... I've decided that as soon as Wahoo gets me a new Elemnt, I'm selling it and putting that money into either a 530 or 830. The question I have for you guys is if the touch screen on the 830 is any better than the 1000. I like the idea of having the better routing on the 830, but I lived with the Wahoo for 9 months, I supose I can live without it on a Garmin. I'd prefer to have a touch screen, but if I'm going to have the same issues as with the 1000, I'll probably opt for the 530.

Sorry for the long post, but any assistance would be apriciated.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

IrrelevantD wrote:So I'm looking at getting a 530 or 830.

I previoulsly had an 810 which I liked, but didn't like that they made the screen smaller for the 820. I currently have a 1000 and the original Wahoo Elemnt. Issues with lockups/crashing is what caused me to go to the Elemnt, but I've been plagued by loss of tracking due to the Wahoo app shutting down on my phone, and now battery life issues. The Elemnt is currently on it's way back to Wahoo for a warranty replacement. While I've been able to get the 1000 running again, and it doesn't seem to crash, I've been having "white screen of death" issues with it on startup. I can hold the power button until it reboots a few times and get it working, but it's inconsistent on how many reboots it takes to get it there.

I also have been extremely unhappy with the Wahoo's GPS accuracy. Stright line routes are fine, but 8 miles of single track and the Wahoo comes up about a mile short. My guess is that's the difference between GPS+GLONASS and smart recording on the Garmin and GPS only on the Wahoo.

My biggest complaint about the 1000 was the touch screen. I honestly feel like the 810 was better. In the wet, or if sweat gets on it, it's horible. Only thing worse is my iphone. Screen locks due to water/sweat, then I can't get to anything on it.

So, here's where I'm at... I've decided that as soon as Wahoo gets me a new Elemnt, I'm selling it and putting that money into either a 530 or 830. The question I have for you guys is if the touch screen on the 830 is any better than the 1000. I like the idea of having the better routing on the 830, but I lived with the Wahoo for 9 months, I supose I can live without it on a Garmin. I'd prefer to have a touch screen, but if I'm going to have the same issues as with the 1000, I'll probably opt for the 530.

Sorry for the long post, but any assistance would be apriciated.
The 830 touch screen is the same as the touchscreen of smartphones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com