Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:39 pm
Here's a 530/830 question. How often do you use the buttons on the front edge? They are the standard start/stop and lap buttons? I have a 510 with the buttons on the top. I'm thinking that if I got a 530 or 830 that I might have to get new mounts because a 530/830 would be too close to my stem. Is this an issue? My 510 is actually 3.4 inches long whereas the 530 is 3.2 inches so there might be a smidge more room.
I have the 530 and np accessing the lap/Start Stop when in my standard Sram out front mount. I use the lap button often as well.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

I made the mistake of agreeing to an update on my 520+, everything had always been fine, worked as it should. But I’d hit “remind me later” a few times and then gave in, now it doesn’t want to upload automatically or otherwise, of course all the settings have been changed, connections with my lights are inconsistent.

AJS914

by AJS914

My 510 has recently refused to upload via bluetooth. The hit and miss reliability with Garmin is so frustrating. I kind of want a 530 but first I was waiting for the button issue to get fixed and now maybe I'm just waiting until my 510 dies.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

AJS914 wrote:My 510 has recently refused to upload via bluetooth. The hit and miss reliability with Garmin is so frustrating. I kind of want a 530 but first I was waiting for the button issue to get fixed and now maybe I'm just waiting until my 510 dies.
Judging by the number of 530s we’ve sold that have no issue, it was a small batch problem rather than a design issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point

by Point

I have issues with my 530 not always auto-uploading but absolutely no issues with the front buttons. I'm yet to find a consitant way to force upload the rides. Sometimes disconnecting the bluetooth connection between phone and reconnecting forces an upload. Sometimes hard resetting the garmin forces an upload. Sometimes dissconecting the phone from wifi forces an upload. Sometimes just waiting an hour ends up in an upload. Theres no rhyme or reason to it.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

AJS914

by AJS914

Point, that is exactly my experience with my 510. I try all the tricks. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Lately nothing has been working. The other thing I've noticed with my 510 is that it will connect to my phone and then disconnect and reconnect and then disconnect. And like you said, sometimes I leave the phone sitting and the Garmin plugged in charging and it randomly syncs without intervention. It's frustrating that there is no "sync now" button.

Anyway, my 510 has always been hit and miss like this on syncing.

Point

by Point

There is a sync now button on the iphone app (top right) but nothing it seems on the Garmin itself, unless I have missed it. Yes the phone connecting and disconnecting is problematic and tends to happen when I'm about to start pedalling away, perhaps due to a weak bluetooth connection as my body interrupts it? It's annoying though as that causes issues with live tracking and other such services.

For the most part, I'm super happy with the 530, and the niggles are infrequent but frustrating when they occur.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

AJS914

by AJS914

I use an iphone and I see that sync symbol in the top right but it doesn't function as a button for me.

I'll probably get a 530 eventually but my 510 is mostly working minus the annoying sync issues and I don't have an urgent need for mapping. We may be moving this summer and if we do I'll get the 530 for mapping and navigating new roads.

Point

by Point

Are you talking mapping in terms of scrolling around the map and pinpointing a location to travel to? I've not used the map browsing much, but so far it's felt very cumbersome after using the mapping functionality on the iphone, obviously the 530 isn't touchscreen which makes things slower but for where I live there are many little roads, and when zooming in weirdly the small roads disappear of the map.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

gwilson

by gwilson

My old 520 always stayed connected over Bluetooth and uploaded fine, but I had big problems with my 530 from the start when I got it last summer. At the advice of someone on the Garmin forums, I made my 530 forget my home wifi network and turned wifi off, and Bluetooth/uploading now works perfectly. Seems like it cannot handle wifi and bluetooth at the same time.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I had issues w blueyooth on my 530 initially but it is resolved w a firmware update. Is thetr a way to get average power on a starred segment without manually hitting lap. Ie autolap for all starred segments or a segment average power?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nebula2

by nebula2

NiFTY wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:42 pm
I had issues w blueyooth on my 530 initially but it is resolved w a firmware update. Is thetr a way to get average power on a starred segment without manually hitting lap. Ie autolap for all starred segments or a segment average power?
Was wondering this myself. Never worked it out and just hit the lap button.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yep thats what i do. Shouldn't be hard for garmin to sort
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sychen

by sychen

Had enough of the 820 and bought a 830 on a whim supporting a lbs.

What a breath of fresh air...

Screen touch works without smashing it.

Screen just looks better... Clearer, better layout.

Battery after 5 hours with screen on (no batt saver) is 71%, 820 would be 10% or less.

Charge port not being on the back means I can charge it on the bike.

No random drop out of gps or power.

Lots of things like strava segments just works better.

Odd thing is phone got unpaired on the garmin during the ride.. Not sure if the screen is hypersensitive and I did it by accident.

Other is it keeps counting laps... I was not touching the lap button.. So ya... Not big things.. Just a tad weird.

Also the old lap/start buttons seems to be better horizontal to the unit.. Not sure I like the angled approach.. Easier yes but prone to accidental touching when handling the unit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I would check the lap settings and see if it is on. Seems weird that it would randomly count laps.

You can turn off the screen and it will still allow you to swipe, just not change if you point at it. I seem to change the display too often if I do not lock it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com