Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jlok

by jlok

I think the add sensor page always show BT sensors first, and then you have to press Show more sensor to reveal the detected ANT+ sensors.

Also, try posting the bugs in Garmin forums. The Garmin guys are actively looking for issues over there.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I see BLE under the sensor detail section under the Quarq sensor. If anyone knows how to use ANT+ on the Quarq please let me know. I've yet to do an actual ride on my bike with the Quarq using BLE. Perhaps BLE is OK but I won't know for sure until tomorrow. On Di2 D-Fly the 830 uses ANT private channel.

I'm a registered user of the Garmin forums but I cannot post any messages for some reason. I've tried (long time ago) to reset my user login without success. I opend a help ticket with Garmin on my forum issue but never got a reply nor a response. The only other option is to register as a new user under a different email address. However I only have one email address so I've given up on Garmin forums.

jlok

by jlok

When you add a sensor, the Bluetooth sensors are displayed first. Wait for a short while and touch the Show ANT Sensors.

Now it's the ANT+ sensor.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thank you jlok! I’m gonna give it a try before my ride today. And perhaps this will solve my Quarq auto calibrate prompt issue too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I was able to get the Quarq on ANT+ after some trial and error. For some reason I don’t see anything about BLE or ANT sensors while searching for a new sensor. Once the Quarq is on ANT+ the auto calibrate prompt worked flawlessly. So it appears BLE doesn’t support auto calibrate prompt. Thanks for the sensor tip jlok!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Another update on the 830. The battery life has been amazing. Today I did the longest ride yet on the 830 (67.6mi., elapsed time 3hr 40min.) and the battery was showing 86% at the finish. I didn’t use navigation but had three sensors (Quarq, Varia, and D-Fly).

The 830 has been a very nice upgrade from the 520. The touchscreen is very responsive and it works with full finger gloves.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Would be nice if it was available in the states :roll:
Just ride ..

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

1 day set up day so far so good ! The tach screen is far better from the 820 ! No problem paring with I phone and p2max !and is faster than any other edge !

πατα τραβα ρε

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Since nobody has mentioned it already, there is a mushy button issue with the Edge 530 that needs to be ironed out.

I would hold off on buying the 530 for now unless you are willing to risk having to send it in to be replaced. Not seeing similar reports with the 830, but I imagine there might be an unlucky few who have the button issue on the power, lap or start/stop button.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:31 am
Since nobody has mentioned it already, there is a mushy button issue with the Edge 530 that needs to be ironed out.

I would hold off on buying the 530 for now unless you are willing to risk having to send it in to be replaced. Not seeing similar reports with the 830, but I imagine there might be an unlucky few who have the button issue on the power, lap or start/stop button.
I got my 530 last week and I have to agree on the mushy Button issue. It's annoying sometimes.
But tbh: What annoys me more is the fact that the units doesn't sync my selected ("starred") segments on Strava or kind off ramdomly chooses which one it wants to show during a ride. Coming from a wahoo bolt, where I used the live segments for having an orientation on climbs, this is a feature that "climb pro" resambles, because of the necessity for a route.

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a 510 which is mostly featureless compared to the new units. Are any of the new features "killer apps" for you guys?

The mapping/navigating might come in handy occasionally saving me the effort of pulling my iphone out of my pocket.

The trailforks maps would be helpful.

Othewise, my 510 works fine so I don't have an urgent need.

MattMay

by MattMay

Availability of the 530 is a couple weeks as of today, at least on the Garmin site, so I’m hoping they are addressing the button issue which seems quite prevalent. (I doubt they sold out!)

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:23 pm
I have a 510 which is mostly featureless compared to the new units. Are any of the new features "killer apps" for you guys?

The mapping/navigating might come in handy occasionally saving me the effort of pulling my iphone out of my pocket.

The trailforks maps would be helpful.

Othewise, my 510 works fine so I don't have an urgent need.
I'm in the same boat, my 510 is chugging along. It's almost 6 years old, battery life has diminished but the OS is stable and I don't have any real problems. I can get through the longest rides I do no problem, main issue is that I can't get through 5 days of shorter riding like when it was newer so I have to remember to charge it more frequently.

I've been considering a move to the Wahoo Bolt, I have 2 friends using them and both rave about how much better the experience is compared to Garmin. My concern is that buying a Bolt now after it's been out for a couple of years....I feel like a new device is coming sooner than later. So I'm considering the 530 or 830. Can someone elaborate on the mushy button issue with the 530? Is it just that the button push does not register consistently?

AJS914

by AJS914

The thought of a mushy button issue surely makes me sit back and wait.

I kind of like that all my rides are backed up to both Strava and Garmin Connect. It makes me hesitant to change to Wahoo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wahoo hardware is simply...worse. They skimped on either amp or antenna when it comes to radio power. They take forever to boot. Features like navigation aren’t as good as Garmin’s. Garmin Edges now include interesting data like TE, workout benefit, fluid loss, eat/drink reminders, FirstBeat analysis, etc. Garmin Connect’s central upload service is also better than Wahoo’s method of individually uploading to each of Strava, TrainingPeaks, Dropbox, etc.