Castelli Perfetto Alternatives

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I had a Parentini Mossa which was very warm but very wet, and the zip fell off!
So Ive now got a Castelli Perfetto LS which (apart from the fact the sleeve length would require me to have arms like a pubescent orangutan), isnt that warm
Any other spring /light rain jackets? I like the ASSOS stuff but cant find it cheap enough, and Im ethically opposed to buying Wapha

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vermu

by Vermu

Gore windstoppers have been good. Their newer lineup has a bit weird sizing. Wiggle has been really good with their clothing pricing (if you’re in EU).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Gabba 3 plus whatever baselayer you need. Well worth the price.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robertbb

by robertbb

Gore windstopper fabric does not breathe in any way, shape or form nor is it warm (as you've mentioned).

You want something stretch woven, not with a membrane.

For a shell, look for something made of Polartec Powershield Pro or Polartec Neoshell. This is legit fabric that has worked for mountaineers for a decade.

For warmth, look for something with Polartec Alpha Direct (the first version of Alpha required a face fabric on both sides which affected the breathability, but the newer Alpha direct version only requires an outer face fabric so it is far more breathable). Also a legit fabric

Never ceases to amaze me how many OEM fabrics manufacturers use (including big names) for their technical garments - especially softshells. Some of the membranes are OK-ish, some may as well be a plastic bag sandwiched in between some threads. And unless you get a branded fabric such as polartec, you have no idea what you're getting.

Interestingly Wiggle's DHB Aeron LAB stuff has just started using Polartec fabrics, with some Schoeller fabrics as well, and it's really very very good stuff!

Vermu

by Vermu

robertbb wrote:Gore windstopper fabric does not breathe in any way, shape or form nor is it warm
Ok few layers and gore windstopper was enough for -20 C...plenty of warmth and back breathed enough.
Was my go to jacket from -10...15.
Although I recon Perfetto is more suitable from 10C onwards.

Choice of garment is dependable where You ride and what you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leviathan

by Leviathan

jlok wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:21 am
Thought Perfetto IS the long sleeved version of the Gabba 3?
And its Ok warm but cold on the shoulders and upper arms. Dont really get days less than 10 degrees but I get cold at 15..

ducman

by ducman

Gabba is no perfetto!

ooo

by ooo

Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain Top (210g)
Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain SS (161g)
'

jlok

by jlok

Leviathan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:12 pm
jlok wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:21 am
Thought Perfetto IS the long sleeved version of the Gabba 3?
And its Ok warm but cold on the shoulders and upper arms. Dont really get days less than 10 degrees but I get cold at 15..
ah, you are right. I overlooked the LS. My bad.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

peted76

by peted76

Spotted this on a tweet from Team Ineos.. it looks like a new jacket.. however I'd hazard a guess that that's gore shakedry material alongside something else.. maybe perfetto material?
https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/ ... 7110270977
It looks kinda interesting.

jlok

by jlok

It looks like the Idro Pro 2.

peted76

by peted76

jlok wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 am
It looks like the Idro Pro 2.
Ah.. seems you are correct... nothing to see here.. moving on. (It is an interesting jacket mind)

kervelo

by kervelo

robertbb wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:20 am
Gore windstopper fabric does not breathe in any way, shape or form nor is it warm (as you've mentioned).
That is definitely not true with the modern WS softshell fabrics. Actually, the Perfetto, Gabba and many other jerseys from Gore, Sportful etc. are made using Gore WS (X-lite). I am sure most of the users agree that those breathe very well.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

This spring i splurged for a 7mesh corsa long sleeve windstopper. They call it a jersey, I'd say that is a bit exaggerated and a more realistic designation would be "very light jacket". I was surpised at how well it breathes, at least when pushing at an amateur level. I found it perfect with a merino thick base at 5 deg or a lighter base at 10. At 15 degrees, or when pushing harder (say 250w) it starts to be overheating so i also bought a short sleeved santini found at sale. It has mesh armpits and half of the back is a breatheable roubaix fabric rather than a laminate so it should be better for warmer or harder rides.

One thing i really loved about wearing the 7mesh is that when i was stopped i didn't start to shiver in like 5 seconds - meaning i wasn't totaly drenched in sweat as i used to be in my older heavy jackets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com