Packing a Colnago C64 Disc

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

frommel

by frommel

I am thoroughly enjoying my new 2019 C64 Disc. It has the internally routed brake cables through the handlebar (3T) and the new stem that came with the frame, with the cover below the stem to hide the cables.

It is beautiful but I am wondering how difficult it would be to pack the bike in my travel case because I will have to remove the handlebar. Maybe all I need to do to remove it is to remove the cable cover plate under the stem. But those cables are pretty short now and I am worried that I will have to unwrap the tape, disconnect brake cables, and then reattach everything and re-bleed at destination. That is a lot of effort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdb

by bdb

Maybe get a different case?

I like the scicon aerocomfort, just take off the wheels, use it with my c60 and no issues at all

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frommel

by frommel

bdb wrote:Maybe get a different case? I like the scicon aerocomfort, just take off the wheels, use it with my c60 and no issues at all
This may be the best plan. It looks awesome. The wide handlebar part just looks so crush-prone! But maybe it is protected well enough through padding etc.

bdb

by bdb

It's very good. I've flown with mine about 30 times now ( in the US and to Europe, and the worst that happens is the bar end plugs either get popped out with air pressure?
or TSA like to pull them out to check on things

frommel

by frommel

Really??? Wow, what else are they disassembling!!???

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If you have a case that requires removal of the handlebar, it can mean real trouble with most disc bikes. The risk of a kink in a hose is high. Most likely you simply will not be able to move the bar to where is needs to be. It can be possible in some to drop the fork and the handlebar with it. But then you still have to deal with the rear brake hose. If I were forced to take a hydro disc bike I think it might be easiest to un-tape the bars, remove the shifters complete with all hoses attached, and then put the bars wherever the hell you want. Shifters could just be secured wherever they happen to hang. At your destination, replacing shifters and taping bars would be less hassle the bleeding a hydro system on the street in front of your hotel.

I have stared for a long time and my disc bike and thought how great it would be in the mountains. But in the end I said F*** it. I will continue to take my rim brake Col Slayer with external cable routing. Just so much less hassle (and lighter). If I can't rebuild it in a hotel room with the tools I am carrying, I probably have the wrong bike with me.

A great huge stinking case solves all problems except for one - you can't get them into most taxis which is a deal breaker depending on your transportation needs.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

frommel

by frommel

That scicon doesn’t look that huge...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

bdb wrote:It's very good. I've flown with mine about 30 times now ( in the US and to Europe, and the worst that happens is the bar end plugs either get popped out with air pressure?
or TSA like to pull them out to check on things
A bike is too heavy, if it's weight implies it may contain contraband.