Things you don’t like

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Orbital

by Orbital

1. Headwinds

2. Riding hungover

3. Riding hungover into headwinds

donald

by donald

At the end of hilly road races that I have won when others are complaining that it was unfair because my bike was so much lighter than theirs. And yet some of those same racers were doping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

icantaffordcycling wrote:1. https://youtu.be/sY7ZKMVEOfI
This video
"Look at me showing off the spacer towers on my ultra fast/smooth/comfortable bikes!"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Kayrehn wrote:
This video
"Look at me showing off the spacer towers on my ultra fast/smooth/comfortable bikes!"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Spacer towers are not the problem. The gear is not the problem. The problem is this guy has a bike collection that he does not ride or know about (58-34 really????!). Bikes that I would dream about. I'm a fatass and have a spacer tower because of it, but at least I ride my cheap ass bike.

Maddie

by Maddie

Guys, keep it going. This is so much fun

My take: Aero helmets on group rides. To each his own, but… come on

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I am without a doubt a total Luddite (I just recently learned what a Luddite is , lolzzz) so here is my list:

Internal cable routing
Press fit BB
Black paint - zzzzzzz
Aero
Tubeless clinchers
Disk brakes on road bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by kgibbo1868 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

spud

by spud

Berzin1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Oh, I forgot-this thread is about things I don't like. Here's one-

When some idiot would get on my case because I hardly ever went to the front to do some "work". The training rides were always much more fun without him.

No one was out to outdo anyone else, everyone rode as a group and we did a nice pace without killing ourselves or leaving anyone behind. The only time anyone crashed was the idiot in question, who would either ride into someone from the side or the rear and then complain that the guy in front of him didn't keep the pace up.

Wherever this guy is I'll guess that he's just as miserable now as he was then. And I'm glad no one else has seen him in years, which can only mean he moved away from the area.

Good riddance, I say.
how about the guy who rides the pace line until he gets to second wheel, then figures out he doesn't want to hit the wind and stops pedaling. Love that guy. Or the guy who consistently sits on the back all day long, never takes a turn, then uncorks a sprint at the end of the group ride. That's always good sport.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Here's another thing I don't like, but did not realize it until it happened -

I placed an order from an Italian shop and when it arrived I realized I had taken the handlebar* measurements wrong. So they had to go back.

I figured since it was sent UPS, I'll take the box over to them. Aside from all this paperwork I needed to have gotten done BEFORE I entered their office (four pages of crap), the shipping estimate was $374 US dollars.

I lugged the box to the post office up the street (by up the street I mean about 10 very long blocks), and it cost $38 to send the same freakin' package with USPS, and I only had to fill out one form.

*As an aside, the handlebars were 3t Aeronova Team handlebars. Man, are they nice. The photos from their webiste do not do justice tothem.

mendiz

by mendiz

Bike shop owner that do not ride a bike and affirms that in a group ride I will need disc brakes.
Bike brands that do not say weight of framesets.
Aero bikes,
Press fit
Instagramers
Watts obsessed,
Tech (latest Garmin) obsessed
The change of this forum from Weight weenies to "Latest marketing trick of brands weenies"
Mechanics that do not care about your components.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

mendiz wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:55 pm
Bike shop owner that do not ride a bike and affirms that in a group ride I will need disc brakes.
Bike brands that do not say weight of framesets.
Aero bikes,
Press fit
Instagramers
Watts obsessed,
Tech (latest Garmin) obsessed
The change of this forum from Weight weenies to "Latest marketing trick of brands weenies"
Mechanics that do not care about your components.
I love the brands that don’t give weight because of “manufacturing inconsistencies” or “most frames have a similar weight.” Just say you made a porker and leave it at that

wingguy

by wingguy

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:59 pm
I love the brands that don’t give weight because of “manufacturing inconsistencies” or “most frames have a similar weight.” Just say you made a porker and leave it at that
Kinda, but when you’re up against brands that claim their 1500g frame at 990g because they weighed it without any paint, hangers, bolts, cable stops, dropouts or resin in the carbon (maybe :P ) then what do you do if you don’t want to look bad but don’t want to lie either?

silvalis

by silvalis

Ooh bike shops.
Bike shops that chase a sale and fit someone onto the top end aero bike instead of the endurance bike, but since they clearly can't fit it, it ends up having 60mm of spacers, a flipped stem and bars pointing at the sky. And the bike shop says "It's fine, I've got a fitting certification".

Nothing against the buyer. Super fan really wants the same bike the pros ride. Good for him, at least he's out there riding.
Chasse patate

AJS914

by AJS914

Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am
This video

Would you say he was showing off if he was doing a review of his new Honda Civic?

The funny thing is that any chump can afford a $10K bike. Save, or plunk down the credit card and buy it. End of story. Those bikes are worth less than a new Honda.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

AJS914 wrote:
Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am
This video

Would you say he was showing off if he was doing a review of his new Honda Civic?

The funny thing is that any chump can afford a $10K bike. Save, or plunk down the credit card and buy it. End of story. Those bikes are worth less than a new Honda.
As a 17 y/o with no meaningful income and no credit card. You are wrong.

themidge

by themidge

<- +1, same here. Cycling is expensive but it could be much worse (at least I'm not into yachting or something :D) and building a bike up on a budget is fun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com